Sign in to follow this  
SandaledOtter

Abilities used from the hand...

SandaledOtter

Using an in-hand Ability is not considered "playing" a card from your hand, specifically regarding Gengar&Mimikyu's Horror House GX and Trumbeak's Mountain Pass Ability.

I've seen this in the game, so I know that Trumbeak can be used after HH. Is this the way it should be?

SuperStone

Hmmm... According to Trumbeak's text, you aren't "playing" it, just "revealing" it.  Of course, no abilities say "play this card" (I don't think), but I wonder if that makes a difference.

Felidae_

Hmmm... According to Trumbeak's text, you aren't "playing" it, just "revealing" it.  Of course, no abilities say "play this card" (I don't think), but I wonder if that makes a difference.

Actually all Pokemon that do something when they come into play from your hand have this wording.

When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may search your deck for a Supporter card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench, you may draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand.

When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may move any number of (L) Energy from your other Pokémon to this Pokémon. If you do, switch this Pokémon with your Active Pokémon.

The same question came up in the rules compendium upgrade last November:

Q. Does using Trumbeak's "Mountain Pass" Ability count as playing it from the hand? If so, would it be blocked if my opponent used Chimecho's "Bell of Silence" attack on the previous turn?

A. No, it is not being played from the hand. You are revealing the Trumbeak and then putting it into the Lost Zone; that is not blocked by Bell of Silence. (Nov 1, 2018 TPCi Rules Team)

• Upvote 2

SandaledOtter

The same question came up in the rules compendium upgrade last November:

Q. Does using Trumbeak's "Mountain Pass" Ability count as playing it from the hand? If so, would it be blocked if my opponent used Chimecho's "Bell of Silence" attack on the previous turn?

A. No, it is not being played from the hand. You are revealing the Trumbeak and then putting it into the Lost Zone; that is not blocked by Bell of Silence. (Nov 1, 2018 TPCi Rules Team)

Good, I didn't cheat, then. :)

It just feels pretty much the same as using an item or supporter, performing its action, and discarding it.

Edited by SandaledOtter

SuperStone

Actually all Pokemon that do something when they come into play from your hand have this wording.

A good point, but those are abilities activated upon being played; whereas trumbeak, talonflame StS, and a few others are independent of that.

Edited by SuperStone

Sign in to follow this