Sign in to follow this  
lazydude777

New player, what's the best way to expand library?

lazydude777

Sorry in advance for walls of questions but I figured it's better than separating each to a different topic. To be clear I don't want a full library, just standard relevant collection to keep trying non-meta decks. 

It seems I can't pay irl money to buy boosters in the game. So I looked a bit in the forums and understood the following (correct me if wrong or if I missed any):

- Grinding daily quests for in game currency  

- Using booster/box codes obtain from irl card purchases.

- Buying codes online (can someone link reliable/safe sources?)

- I am not clear on this but I can get a virtual version of cards I already own irl? If so how?

Also some follow ups that I could use clarifications or confirmation on:

- Codes can be used multiple times by different users (or the same user) somehow?

- I have seen few new players asking for codes and actually receiving some. Is that something I should be doing? It seems easier that going through all this trouble.

- Does the forum hosts occasional giveaways I should keep an eye on?

In the forums also, some people pointed out that as a new player I should focus on building the library through buying theme decks first, multiple times even for a complete set of 4/card. Is this a good idea in my case?

SuperStone

If what you want is the ability to trade for the cards you want, the best way will be saving all the packs you get from codes and events (not opening them) and trading them around instead of individual cards.

You can indeed buy codes online.  Unfortunately, non-pokemon links are not allowed here.  However, codes are the only way to convert physical cards to digital- you can't upload individual cards you own.  Also, they can only be used once- except for some special event codes, such as for the Rallying Cry theme deck.  None of the ones currently around are very relevant, but if you want them Bulbapedia has a list.

We don't really like people just asking for handouts.   :cool: If there are specific things you're looking for, someone here will be happy to help you out in finding them, and there are some ongoing giveaways (LordKieta's in In-Game Item Exchange, for example).  Call us conceited, but like our generosity to be our idea. :P

Theme decks are a great route for beginners to take, especially ones who don't have too much experience with the game already.  They are cheaper, easier to win events with (at first), and provide a good number of useful and even essential cards for your collection.  If you like playing with them, I certainly recommend it, but of course the point of the game is to have fun, so don't force yourself.  ;) 

And welcome to the Putsgof!

Edited by SuperStone

WigglyDude

Me again. lazydude777 is an old account I meant to delete which now I requested.

Thanks for the tips. 

Masirus

Expanding on the theme decks idea, in particular the garchomp, Entei, and Charizard Decks do exceptionally well for me. They are well built and have nice engines to them. There is still a decent RNG factor to them but it seems a lot less of an issue than some of the other decks

Sakura150612

Buying codes online (can someone link reliable/safe sources?)

Like SuperStone said, we can't really link external sites due to forum rules. However, if you google "pokemon tcgo codes" you'll find a few sites. For reference, I've used the first result and it's worked well for me so far (never been sold used codes, never been scammed, nothing funny has happened to my card or its funds). That said, it's still a 3rd party site not sanctioned by TPCi, so use it at your own risk. To be safe, I've been using a virtually generated card to pay that only contains enough funds to make the purchases I need (and I refill it with my actual debit card when I need to buy more stuff), so I can't say it's safe to give it your credit card information since I'm not really putting myself in a position where they could steal my information and do crazy purchases with credit.

SuperStone

For reference, I've used the first result and it's worked well for me so far (never been sold used codes, never been scammed, nothing funny has happened to my card or its funds).

*checks left* *checks right*  Is it mini-rant time? *checks left again* I think it's mini rant time.

There is no such thing as "the" first result.  People use that expression all the time, as if it's some universal constant.  But any good search engine has a very complex algorithm- searching relevance to specific keywords and- very importantly- to the user's own history!  Not only can changing a single word shuffle results, but the exact same search will always get you different results from different people!  Your first result may be someone else's fourth- on some topics, it may even drop by an order of magnitude.  Will it probably be high up?  Of course.  But there is a very good chance that it will not be the number you specified.  Grr!

:P Anyways, I agree that giving credit information to any company that does not stand to lose everything if it's reputation is ruined is a bad idea.  Internet-only companies, operating in niche communities, known by and run by small numbers of people are never 100% trustworthy, and while statistically they're still unlikely to scam you, your security risks run much higher with such businesses.  They also probably have less powerful encryption.

As someone who doesn't use these sites, I can't speak to their authenticity in either direction.  They may be completely trustworthy, and my caution may be unnecessary.  But in a digital world where hackers can so easily access any information put on the web, you can never be too careful.  Well, I mean, of course you can, but you know what I mean. 

Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 1

Sakura150612

*checks left* *checks right* Is it mini-rant time? *checks left again* I think it's mini rant time.

There is no such thing as "the" first result. People use that expression all the time, as if it's some universal constant. But any good search engine has a very complex algorithm- searching relevance to specific keywords and- very importantly- to the user's own history! Not only can changing a single word shuffle results, but the exact same search will always get you different results from different people! Your first result may be someone else's fourth- on some topics, it may even drop by an order of magnitude. Will it probably be high up? Of course. But there is a very good chance that it will not be the number you specified. Grr!

:P Anyways, I agree that giving credit information to any company that does not stand to lose everything if it's reputation is ruined is a bad idea. Internet-only companies, operating in niche communities, known by and run by small numbers of people are never 100% trustworthy, and while statistically they're still unlikely to scam you, your security risks run much higher with such businesses. They also probably have less powerful encryption.

As someone who doesn't use these sites, I can't speak to their authenticity in either direction. They may be completely trustworthy, and my caution may be unnecessary. But in a digital world where hackers can so easily access any information put on the web, you can never be too careful. Well, I mean, of course you can, but you know what I mean.

Come to think of it, you're right xd There's a good chance that the site I'm using is the first result precisely because I'm using it. I was just trying to be as vague as possible but I guess that won't do. The site I'm using is Professor Oak, and I hope I'm allowed to share this much since I'm giving all the proper warnings/disclaimers.

But to repeat it once more, the site isn't necessarilly safe. All I can say is that they haven't duped me yet. TPCi isn't responsible for transactions done with a 3rd party, so you'd be using it at your own risk. That said, if you could instead buy with a pre-paid card or a virtually generated card for a single transaction you're at least removing the possibility that 2 days later you will randomly owe a gazillion dollars to a company you've never heard of from across the other side of the planet xd

Edited by Sakura150612

SuperStone

haven't duped me yet.

Can we get a libertage here?

I think this belongs in a quote book next to "no." :P

• Upvote 1

Sakura150612

Can we get a libertage here?

I think this belongs in a quote book next to "no." :P

LOL xd we had a good few laughs with that one, didn't we? I'm waiting for my chance to revive it xddd

Eiyaki

- Grinding daily quests for in game currency  

- Using booster/box codes obtain from irl card purchases.

- Buying codes online (can someone link reliable/safe sources?)

- I am not clear on this but I can get a virtual version of cards I already own irl? If so how?

Also some follow ups that I could use clarifications or confirmation on:

- Codes can be used multiple times by different users (or the same user) somehow?

- I have seen few new players asking for codes and actually receiving some. Is that something I should be doing? It seems easier that going through all this trouble.

- Does the forum hosts occasional giveaways I should keep an eye on?

In the forums also, some people pointed out that as a new player I should focus on building the library through buying theme decks first, multiple times even for a complete set of 4/card. Is this a good idea in my case?

• Buying booster packs from people is NOT a reliable way to get cards IMO. Instead, you should be winning tournaments to get unlocked packs, which you can trade for individual cards via an offer. 
  • Begging for booster codes is (in my opinion) dishonorable and is kinda rude to the people who actually take the time to do their own work.
  • Giveaways are not officially done by TPCi, but I'm pretty sure this section has a dude who does a giveaway once in a while.
  • Sorry, but for most cards, you can't redeem them for play on PTCGO.

Again, the most reliable way to get booster packs (and by extension, the cards you need) is by winning tournaments.

Sakura150612

• Buying booster packs from people is NOT a reliable way to get cards IMO. Instead, you should be winning tournaments to get unlocked packs, which you can trade for individual cards via an offer. 
  • Begging for booster codes is (in my opinion) dishonorable and is kinda rude to the people who actually take the time to do their own work.
  • Giveaways are not officially done by TPCi, but I'm pretty sure this section has a dude who does a giveaway once in a while.
  • Sorry, but for most cards, you can't redeem them for play on PTCGO.

Again, the most reliable way to get booster packs (and by extension, the cards you need) is by winning tournaments.

Agreed for the most part, but I'll have to differ slightly with that first point. Buying codes from other people, while not as cost efficient compared to winning events (which has zero cost), it's significantly more time efficient. As long as you take all the proper precautions, complementing your earnings from events with some bought codes is a good idea if you can part with a few bucks. I would simply not take any major risks when buying codes. If you're buying online, don't give your credit card, use cards with limited funds only (haven't tried it, but Paypal seems like a good, safe option). When dealing with a particular person rather than a company, try to never buy in big bulks because unless you know them well, there's always the chance that they'll sell you used codes (it's happened to me once, unfortunately. Since I only bought 2 USD worth of codes though it was a negligible loss).

I'd say it's pretty reliable as long as you take the aforementioned precautions.

Sign in to follow this