Gwasman

Gardevoir-GX and Unit Energy?

Gwasman

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on the forums, so firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, would a moderator kindly be able to move it to the correct home please!

Now, I say it may be in the wrong place as I'm not sure if what I'm querying is a bug or an intentional game mechanic. It may well have already been addressed, but I've yet to find anything stating it, so please bare with me!

The potential bug, although I guess just general question, is whether or not Gardevoir-GX's Secret Spring ability is bugged to not allow the attachment of a Fairy/Dark/Fighting Unit Energy through its use?

I would like to highlight Quagsire's Wash Out ability;

"As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may move a Water Energy from 1 of your Benched Pokémon to your Active Pokémon."

This ability doesn't state that the Water Energy HAS to be a BASIC energy, and thus being able to move a Water/Fire/Grass Unit Energy with the use of this ability is possible, and has been done so in White Kyurem/Quagsire deck builds.

So, with this in mind, I would also like to highlight Gardevoir-GX's Secret Spring ability;

"Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Fairy Energy card from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon."

Again, this ability also does NOT state that the energy HAS to be a BASIC energy.

So, my question, if Quagsire allows a player to move a Unit Energy (if it is the Water/Fire/Grass Unit Energy) with the use of its Wash Out ability, should Gardevoir-GX also allow a player to attach a Unit Energy (if it is the Fairy/Dark/Fighting Unit Energy) with the use of its Secret Spring ability?

If anyone is able to shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

RobRatt

It's a common question, but look at the first line of Unit Energy again.

Before it can be considered a certain Energy type, the Unit Energy must be attached to a Pokémon.  When it's in your hand, deck, or discard pile, it's a single Colorless Energy.

So, once it's attached, an Ability like Quagsire's would be able to move it around.  ...while Gardevoir GX can't attach it as a Fairy, since it's still Colorless (in your hand).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Gwasman

Ah, that makes sense. I was focusing on the wording of the abilities of the Pokémon in question, and totally overlooked the text on the energy itself!

Thank you for clearing that up for me!