Sign in to follow this  
buddyglass

new versus modes: "classic" and "mirror"

buddyglass

Just a suggestion:  Add a new versus "mode" called something like "classic".  This mode allows theme decks *minus* the current set of "most popular" theme decks (as measured by which decks people are playing in "theme" versus matches).  The list of subtracted decks would change over time as theme decks wax and wane in popularity, perhaps on a weekly or monthly basis.

Currently, in theme mode, 90% of your opponents are playing one of a handful of "strong" decks.  This is a little boring; more variety would be nice.  However, anyone *not* playing one of those "strong" decks is at a disadvantage (hence the reason everyone's playing them).

In my proposed "classic" mode you might face more of the older decks.  Also, it would give new players a way to play PvP with one of their starter decks and have slightly better odds of not being absolutely destroyed.

Another possible game mode:  "Mirror".  This would work like theme, except you'd be guaranteed to face someone w/ the same deck as yours.  (Granted, if you're playing an unpopular deck you might have to wait a long, long time to get matched with someone.)

Edited by buddyglass

RobRatt

It's been suggested before, and would be a great idea.  No matter what they call it (Legacy Theme, Classic Theme), there really should be a separate category where pre-Sun & Moon decks can play on level footing.

I actually feel bad when I see one pop up, especially when a player unknowingly tries one in Events, after spending their Tickets.  Even on the VS Ladder, I think to myself, "Oh man, you just don't know the beating you're about to get."  It's not even fun.  And if you take it easy on them, they might get 3 Prizes, if they're lucky.

The built-in decks, Mental Might, HGSS-era, BW-era, and XY-era would be a fun mixture to play if they didn't have to contend with the Sun & Moon decks.  Since they're all available in the game's Shop, having a separate Format would make them more appealing to purchase if they were playable too.

Of course, they should leave the existing Theme category the way it is, where all decks are welcome.  Maybe somebody is adventurous with their old deck.  But another option would be a welcome improvement.

Edited by RobRatt

buddyglass

Another idea:  a version (each) of Standard and Expanded that just excludes GX/EX cards.

Sakura150612

Another idea:  a version (each) of Standard and Expanded that just excludes GX/EX cards.

One prizers with insanse damage will dominate the meta instead. All of the cards that are considered garbage (which is way over half of the cards ever released on a set) will continue to be garbage compared to the non-EX/GX cards that are already relevant in the current meta.

The games might last a little longer since everything gives 1 prize, but it's basically going to be one OHKO after another. It's a bit too late by now to dial back the power creep.

I'm also afraid that if they make too many different queues it might spread the playerbase too much, increasing queue times. In the worst case scenario, the less popular formats could end up receiving the Legacy treatment.

• Upvote 1

buddyglass

Spreading people too thin is certainly a valid concern.  If eliminating GX/EX wouldn't add any variety then there's no point.  If, however, it would lead to many different types of decks (even if all of them feature a big damage card), instead of people favoring a few specific GX in particular, then it might be a win.  That's a big "if" though; might just devolve into a few particular archetype decks.

Otakutron

Spreading people too thin is certainly a valid concern.  If eliminating GX/EX wouldn't add any variety then there's no point.  If, however, it would lead to many different types of decks (even if all of them feature a big damage card), instead of people favoring a few specific GX in particular, then it might be a win.  That's a big "if" though; might just devolve into a few particular archetype decks.

For the record,people are not favoring a few, specific Pokémon-GX.  Unless you mean Tapu Lele-GX, which is run for its Ability that lets you fetch a Supporter from your deck when you Bench it.

If it sounds like we have an answer prepared for everything, we see this a thread like this every few months. :)  I'm glad you want the game to improve, but remember that the PTCGO tries to match you against folks with similar... well... whatever value it calculates as an abstraction of our records.

Sadly, I worry they'll axe the Legacy Format, given how it seems kind of dead.  Of course, it is a vicious cycle; it takes so long to find a match I don't try as often which means other folks have to wait a while which means it takes longer for them so they don't try as often which means it takes longer for me...

If you do want to push for another mode, can I suggest making 30-Card an official PTCGO Format? The short version is that, while it couldn't be sanctioned for a main event, there used to be official rules because it was permitted as an unsanctioned side event at official tournaments.  30-Card is what it sounds like; players use 30-Card decks, players start with three Prizes instead of six, and the 4-Copy Rule is replaced by the 2-Copy Rule.  This would behoove new players with smaller collections and experienced players just wanting to try something different.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sakura150612

Actually, that's brilliant xd I never even considered a 30 card format. The maximum 2 cards of anything would really shake up things. I'm still worried about the issue of the queues spreading up too much, but I'd like to try out a 30 card format.

I have another idea that I'd like to add, although I'm not certain of its viability. One thing I saw in a different game (namely, LoL) is Rotating Game Modes. The concept is actually based on the fact that having too many permanent game mode queues can spread the player base and increase queue times, so instead they have 1 queue dedicated to creative and fun game modes that swap out every few weeks or months. This allows the community to play around with different things without having to sacrifice queue times elsewhere.

30 card format could be among the rotation. I don't think that non EX/GX would work for the reasons I previously stated, but they could instead try a "Petite Cup" of sorts where only very specific cards are allowed (so, lets say, nothing with more than 90 HP, no Pokemon capable of dealing 90 or more damage in 1 turn, major disruption cards limited or banned, etc. Basically a very barebones game mode where you have to take it slowly). This could be a very interesting experimentation grounds.

Again, not certain if the idea is actually viable. Just throwing the idea out there while we're at it.

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Upvote 2

Otakutron

Actually, that's brilliant xd I never even considered a 30 card format. The maximum 2 cards of anything would really shake up things. I'm still worried about the issue of the queues spreading up too much, but I'd like to try out a 30 card format.

I have another idea that I'd like to add, although I'm not certain of its viability. One thing I saw in a different game (namely, LoL) is Rotating Game Mods.

While I never thought about making the fourth official game mode one that changes; sounds like a good idea. There are actually three semi-official Formats that used to be in the Play! Pokémon Rules and Formats document... but the other two (2-on-2 and Team Battle) would most likely require too much effort to add to the game.  30-card may be a problem as well, depending on how the game is programmed.  That is the real restriction, I think; a bonus like this needs to be easy for the Dev Team to implement; I get the feeling they are operating on a shoestring budget as is, or else just constantly burdened by the sheer volume of cards and mechanics already involved in this TCG.

Making the fourth mode a variable one, maybe that changes with the Reward Ladder might be best.  That brings up a second concern; the mode has to work well with the Reward Ladder.  While I might still try these if they didn't contribute to the Ladder, I fear most would be forced to choose or just automatically go with the three regular options because of the Reward Ladder.  So, if some of these aren't too well balanced, the Dev Team might be skittish about allowing the same Rewards as everything else.  Though, I am hoping the "rotating mode" might be okay; if they think a mode is "too easy", they can just make a less impressive Reward Ladder.  Alternatively, just give double the Daily Rewards and no Reward Ladder; I think, so long as there is something, people would still give the variable mode a try.

If all the Dev Team can do is allow or disallow entire expansions, still call it the Legacy Format but make it clear that it rotates between past Standard Formats, plus the HeartGol/SoulSilver through Legendary Collection one they invented, which is currently the actual Legacy Format.  Maybe even the PTCGO-Unlimited Format as well.

If they can handle it, 30-Card would be nice.  Maybe a "No Rares" Format as well.  Even though it won't work, I think a "No Pokémon-EX/GX" Format, just to prove the point.

Now, the final sticking point, if it is possible and permitted, is some of these might need their own ban list.  However, dealing with updates and glitches in the real game comes first, then fixing glitches for these alternate game modes, and finally worrying about banning anything (if it is needed at all).  Players need to understand that the bonus mode is just that; an extra toy the Dev Team is letting us play with, so if it isn't working well, they'll take care of it when they can... which might not be until its next time or two in the rotation.

• Upvote 1

buddyglass

Another possible format:  custom decks consisting solely of cards contained in *currently purchasable theme decks* plus the current starter decks (Red/Blue/Yellow + Mental Might).  In theory, that puts everyone on semi-equal footing but you'd still see some variety like in the current Custom format.

However, if it turns out there's only a few different "optimal" decks using the theme deck cards, then there's no point to this.  Whole idea is to create a mode where there's variety (custom deck construction) but where vets don't enjoy a huge advantage by virtue of having access to a much wider selection of cards.

Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, thank you everyone for posting your valuable feedback. I will forward this thread to the development team. 

Sign in to follow this