Anexpor

Improving Attacking Animation

RobRatt
Posted (edited)

you can examine Pokémon Card Game Asobikata DS too for smooth attack animations and playing

You can't really compare a Nintendo proprietary game with this Online app.  They have different mechanics.  The PTCGO game is done with the Unity game engine, and has to comply with the requirements of Android, iPad, Mac, and Windows systems.

You've made it very clear that you'd like improved attack animations.  Personally I would rather turn them off completely, and just play the game.  The vast majority of players either don't care, or don't want different (more) animations.

In the larger view, with the development budget, there are about 10 things that should take priority over these graphics (fixing the existing bugs, better in-game rewards, comprehensive statistics, a decent tutorial, improved trading and search, etc., etc.).

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 3

NearKira

Attack animations have been the same for a while now. I think the steel type attacking animation is pretty good but every attack could use an improvement and maybe be similar to the attack name. Example - Venusaur using solar beam shows an actual beam from the card maybe. Will probably take a lot of effort.

Charchou

i playing game for 3 years but game already same attacking animations. the gameboy version of this game have much more good animations like fireball - thunderbolt - hydro pump - solar beams. please rework animations and add throwing or burst - spray like attacks.

Agreed, diversified attack animations would add some spice to the game!

• Like 1

Texas994a

Yeah, i think that the animation should be improved, they are pretty ugly rn and they just make lose time

ExodoMH

I have 2 years in the game and the truth if you need emjores animations to the attacks, there is no difference between a "weak" attack to an attack that will really hurt

I have 2 years in the game and the truth if you need emjores animations to the attacks, there is no difference between a "weak" attack to an attack that will really hurt

SheepyJS

Agreed, but what about the people with lower end spec devices. Anyway, i think they should make the attacking animation like the newer games on the 3ds, like how shruikens pop out and hit the opponent for greninjas break ability for example. It would take a lot of work but we can haul in more players probably.

• Downvote 1

SKBellmore

Uggghhhh, not this thread again.

My opinion is that there should be no animations at all. I’d rather cut to the chase than watch my Celebi & Venusaur summon a leaf tornado.

• Upvote 2

Jigglypuffan

i would prefer no animation at all.

• Upvote 2

Toklopo

Uggghhhh, not this thread again.

My opinion is that there should be no animations at all. I’d rather cut to the chase than watch my Celebi & Venusaur summon a leaf tornado.

You can disable those animations in the settings.

SandaledOtter

You can disable those animations in the settings.

He said he'd prefer NO animations. You can choose simple or elaborate animations, but you can't turn them off entirely.

• Upvote 1

Anexpor

in gameboy version attacks effects tooks only 1 sec. it can be added like this

Sakura150612

in gameboy version attacks effects tooks only 1 sec. it can be added like this

Time consumption is the main concern when it comes to animations, yes. But even if the potential new animations only took 1 second by the clock, many players would still rather do away with the animations altogether.

Plus, doing any sort of visual change at all is a risky endeavor for the devs. I've posted this in a few other threads, but in the major visual overhaul some 3 or so years back, the reaction of the community was overwhelmingly negative. I have to admit that the curren UI looks a lot nicer and polished than the old one (based on videos I've seen; never got to play before the update). But if I had posted this exact same sentence back when it happened I would have ended up with 30 downvotes in less than 30 minutes.

The fact is that the community just doesn't like random visual changes. Look at how the (comparatively) small changes done in the previous patch were received. I can't say I've seen anyone say they liked them (although I might be tempting fate by saying this). People generally prefer boring but safe over new and potentially garbage.

Simply put, new animations would be a job with no pay. Some people might like them, but most people will just criticize them and demand a revert (again).

Honestly, if they wanted to get some easy positive feedback, all they'd have to do is remove animations and call it a day. It would take almost no effort compared to making new animations, and it would earn them the praise of a lot of the old timers that have sticked around this game for years.

Can't deny some people would be upset about the removal of animations (and they'd have all the right to be upset over it). But you just can't please everyone, so in the end it comes to a cold calculation of cost/time efficiency and of what pleases the majority of people rather than only a few.

I could be completely wrong on what the "majority/popular" thought is on animations. But based on previous discussions conducted on the forum, I'm inclined to believing that most would rather have no animations over 1 second animations (although to give your idea some credit, 1 second flat aimations would still be an upgrade from the current 2-4 second animations).

MinecraftFoxYT

I honestly kind of have to agree with Anexpor. I mean, the animations are quite boring at times, and a bit of a change up would be nice. I think the Pokemon TCG Managers should look into this and try to focus on these sort of "issues," besides worrying about the next rotation. Now I understand that the rotation must happen to keep the game fresh but I still believe that they could try to spice it up a bit. I mean, come on, the same animations, the same daily rewards, which are awful, and more of the same things happening in the game. This online game has been going on for a long time, and I've played for 5 years and haven't seen a single change in the daily reward system or anything to do with graphics besides the background. Would it really be that difficult for them to invest a little time into these sort of things?

• Downvote 1

Mod_GuruLot
36 minutes ago, MinecraftFoxYT said:

I honestly kind of have to agree with Anexpor. I mean, the animations are quite boring at times, and a bit of a change up would be nice. I think the Pokemon TCG Managers should look into this and try to focus on these sort of "issues," besides worrying about the next rotation. Now I understand that the rotation must happen to keep the game fresh but I still believe that they could try to spice it up a bit. I mean, come on, the same animations, the same daily rewards, which are awful, and more of the same things happening in the game. This online game has been going on for a long time, and I've played for 5 years and haven't seen a single change in the daily reward system or anything to do with graphics besides the background. Would it really be that difficult for them to invest a little time into these sort of things?

Hello MinecraftFoxYT, 

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and concerns regarding animations.

I'll pass on your suggestion of a change-up in terms of the daily reward system and graphics to our development team!

Yoshi2k_YT

Good ideas, we want new animations!! 

Get_dunked_on

I agree with this thread. 

The game needs new attack animations, because the old ones have gotten boring, and sometimes don't even match the attack!

Maybe add three to four more for each type.

CptLexorFTW

very much aggree with everything in this thread. have been playing since nearly beta and they have been the same the whole time. i just turn them off because they are obnoxious, hopefully some cool changes can be made as this game really needs something new right now. its getting very stale and bugs just keep piling up pushing people away from playing.

pradyo

i think the attacks of pokemon need to be more realistic..like for example the fire attacks getting the whole screen going to flames ..(flamethrower attack of charizard ..)

TGATOR919

Sub to Tseires

I agree with this.

WingsofFire1014

My attack animation is gone. Now it is just a bunch of orbs that flood onto my Opponents Pokemon from a little above their Active Pokemon.

Edited by WingsofFire1014