Sign in to follow this  
mholden020

First deck build, avoiding the "energy starve"

mholden020

Hi everyone! Following some suggestions from other players and a lot of research I've put together my first "competitive" deck. I'm pleased with the results (considering it's literally the first one I made) but it does seem to hit a wall after a few wins in a row where it will get crushed by the better decks. I know it has weaknesses but I'm not at a point where I can see them very well, so if anyone could give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it.

For starters, there are two major problems with it:

1) Some games go into a severe energy starve where I simply cannot get my game going. I don't have many problems finding the Pokemon I need for a situation, but actually getting the energies to make them work turns into a problem that won't ever end. When I built the deck I actually included more energies than I saw in most build lists because I wanted to avoid having this problem but it still exists. Once they're out of the deck I usually have no problems keeping them in play.

2) I am short on quantity for a lot of these cards, and I don't have any useful cards that I can trade with so if anybody suggests a card to replace one it would have to show up in a booster or be a long-term solution but the suggestion would be appreciated.

##Pokémon - 12

1 Yungoos SUM 109

1 Yungoos UPR 112

2 Gumshoos-GX SUM 110

2 Alolan Vulpix BUS 27

1 Articuno ROS 16

1 Magikarp AOR 19

1 Palkia-GX FLI 20

2 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28

1 Gyarados AOR 20

##Trainer Cards - 33

2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92

2 Lysandre FLF 90

1 Lana BUS 117

1 Fresh Water Set PRC 129

1 Wishful Baton BUS 128

2 Energy Retrieval PRC 126

2 Hard Charm XY 119

2 Nest Ball SUM 123

1 Evosoda XY 116

1 Fisherman BKT 136

2 Level Ball AOR 76

2 Exp. Share SUM 118

1 Heavy Ball NXD 88

1 Cheren DEX 91

1 Ace Trainer AOR 69

2 Ultra Ball FCO ***

******** Search BCR 128

2 Dive Ball PRC 125

2 Bianca EPO 90

2 Cilan NXD 86

##Energy - 15

10 Water Energy Energy 3

3 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

2 Splash Energy BKP 113

Thank you!

GR0

I don't play competitive, so my advice could be wrong, but replacing Cilan for Professor's Letter sounds like a good idea to me: 1 energy less, but the ability to still play a Supporter should help a lot. If you "don't have enough Supporters" this way, that's even better: room for 2 new draw Supporters like Cynthia!

Chasista

I don't play competitive, so my advice could be wrong, but replacing Cilan for Professor's Letter sounds like a good idea to me: 1 energy less, but the ability to still play a Supporter should help a lot. If you "don't have enough Supporters" this way, that's even better: room for 2 new draw Supporters like Cynthia!

It's a good tip Indeed, Cilan has never been a good Supporter. Could work in some decks like Blastoise Deluge but even in this case, there are a lot better options than Cilan and P. letter is one of them.

___

About the deck, unless you have an option to attach more than 1 energy per turn (Blastoise Deluge, The masked royal, Max elixir, Mina, Magnezone, Gardevoir GX...), you'll be late in most cases against any deck that have that power.

All your pokémon needs 3+ energies to attack so attaching only once a turn is quite slow when most competitive decks can hit for 120+ in the second turn. Even being able to have the energies in hand, you will be probably setting up a Mon who's going to be KOed next turn.

It's good to think long term. Trading for the cards you need is the way to build any deck. If you don't have a large pool of cards to choose from, get some Theme decks in shop. It will provide you staple trainers for your custom decks, like Cynthia, Guzma, R stretcher, Lillie and others. However, being an Expanded deck, you start the game with some staple trainers you can use: P Sycamore, N, Ultra ball...

The deck seems a bit random and you have too much 1-off cards. This makes you play situational, with the card the luck makes you draw, and not with the card you want in the moment you need it. If important to make your deck work, add enough copies.

Main problem is in trainers and the 1-offs. None of the staple/competitive trainers is in there. You need big draw supporters and items to find specific cards.

For competitive Expanded you'd need to start building adding: 1 Ace spec, 1 Karen and 4 Vs Seeker (you start the game with 1 in collection).

Not going to Meta level, you still want to add some of these staple trainers:

Prof Juniper or Sycamore

N

Lysandre/Guzma

Colress

4 Ultra ball (in most cases)

Cynthia

Lillie

Elm's lecture/Brigette/Olivia/Poke fan club...

Acerola/AZ

Is it easy to get the Gyarados? Because a 1-1- line is too random, if any of them prized, the other becomes a useless card. That's why 2-2 at least is used, unless it's a tech not essential to the deck.

Aqua patch would be a good card to add to the deck. It works perfect with B compressor and Ultra ball. 4 Dive ball seems no brain.

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this