OU7C4ST

[Community Question] Would you like to see the return of Trading Companies?

OU7C4ST
Posted (edited)

I am contemplating on starting up a new Trading Company in the near future if there is enough demand for one.

The goal of a Trading Company: To supply cards to a player in a respectable time frame while asking for a fair price in return. (Of-course the customer pays a little bit of an up-charge for convenience purposes)

Also, If you have experience in working with a Trading Company in the past here on the forum, or have a decent binder of cards that can be used for large scale trading, & plenty of time to dedicate everyday to trading with customers, feel free to message me as well.

Thanks for all future input & discussion!

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who reached out. With more consideration today, I've decided not to pursue creating a Trading Company myself as a new endeavor. I can completely understand the player-base's worry about somebody who controls the Card Value Guide & potentially a Trading Company at the same time.

Sometimes I think too pure-hearted, but it's completely understandable there would be some reserved worrisome from some players. I do not want to create any negative vibes between me and the community I love so much.

Edited by OU7C4ST
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

turbogiraffe

Trading companies are ok.... You have a large following you could likely do well..

However here's some of the issues I think you will run into issues with..

1. The current trading market is saturated with many people who do not understand how to figure out value or worth of a card that they want. They simply visit your guide and think or assume that the card they looked up should be the exact value listed on your site. This creates some pretty toxic situations at times where potentially they try to label others as scammers in the trade chat.

2. I would think the majority of users who go to trading companies are looking for meta / popular / new cards. In most cases these cards would be available under the same structure which you mention "a convenience fee" markup from the in game public trade boards. Also this enables them to get the cards they are looking for with minimal waiting as opposed to having to communicate and coordinate a trade with another person.

3. It seems like things could get a bit strange having a trading company which also could dictate / influence / sway the market values at any time with a simple website update.

Although its quite possible I'm being overly negative about these potential issues and everything would continue fine.............. on the other hand maybe you'll get to enjoy the product of your guide...  :cool:

Either way best of luck!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Glucario111

important question will the 3rd site guide stay or will it be like it used to be the 3rd party site is just a "better" page for the forum and shows 1=1 the company values? 
I don't think that guide and company values from the same source are healthy for a community.

i totally support a return to a trading company. but I don't think that a company should also run the prize guide that some newer players see as the holy grail for trading references. 

• Upvote 1

OU7C4ST

Trading companies are ok.... You have a large following you could likely do well..

However here's some of the issues I think you will run into issues with..

1. The current trading market is saturated with many people who do not understand how to figure out value or worth of a card that they want. They simply visit your guide and think or assume that the card they looked up should be the exact value listed on your site. This creates some pretty toxic situations at times where potentially they try to label others as scammers in the trade chat.

I know how this is frustrating to many traders, & they sometimes handle it poorly by taking their frustrations out on me.

However, I can't be any more clearer on the Card Value Guide than I already am. I have a warning at the very top, and very bottom, AND within' the FAQ stating my guide is well.. a guide. It's values are not to be taken as law, and that while I try to be as accurate as possible, in any free-trade economy, there will always be room for bargaining, and fluctuation of prices at any given moment.

The goal of the guide is to make sure people are trading within the range of what is fair.

- Regarding the rest of your comment, I overall agree that this is not the best avenue for me to pursue as a new endeavor. I think you may be right that there could be quite a bit of negative feedback to a person who runs a Guide & Trading company. Sometimes I think too pure-hearted lol. I know I would try the best I could, but from an outside prospective, I can understand the reserved worrisome from most of the player-base.

I've decided not to pursue this myself, but I would like to see a company or companies return one day.

• Upvote 1

XK920XK

Agreed, do one or the other. You are already the most brought up and hated person in the chatrooms and you are taking your time to providing a free info to the newbies. Now imagine when people see that you are trying to profit from the trade company too. It will be headaches for you.

OU7C4ST

Agreed, do one or the other. You are already the most brought up and hated person in the chatrooms

I'm the most hated? Ouch. :(

SuperStone
Posted (edited)

I'm the most hated? Ouch. :(

I don't think it's a very hard cup to win- PTCGO's only celebrities are streamers, and none of the others are brought up except for deck ideas.  In my experience.

At any rate, we like you. :)

Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 1