Sign in to follow this  
TheUltimae

Dragon type

TheUltimae
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! I have a well working Zoroark GX deck as well as a well working Vikavolt GX deck. I decided to make a deck on some dragon types from some of the newer sets. Please read the end of my post before you think I don't know what I'm doing.

3 Swablue CIN

2 Altaria CIN

2 Victini GRI

3 Darumaka DRM

2 Darmanitan DRM

2 Salamence CES

2 Salamence-Gx DRM

2 White Kyurem- GX DRM

2 Druddigon DRM

3 Dragon Talon DRM

3 Devoured Field CIN

2 Tate & Liza CES

2 Judge FLI

2 Hau SUM

3 Lady FLI

3 Double Colorless Energy

9 Water Energy

13 Fire Energy

So, Altaria's first attack allows you to flip a coin and in heads search your deck for a dragon type pokemon and put it directly onto your bench. Victini allows you to re-flip this coin if you flip a tails. Salamence can be used to drag pokemon of the opponents bench and then Salamece-GX's ability can allow a free retreat cost for Salamence to get back to your bench. White Kyurem-GX and Salamence-GX are the hitters in this deck and they both take fire and water energy. You can use the ladys to get water and fire energy into your hand. I also considered fiery flint but decided against it for now. Darmanitan's first attack allows you to attach 3 fire energies from your hand to your pokemon in any way that you like. Tate and Liza can allow you to swap your GXs to your bench and also doubles as a hand reset. Please feel free to tell me what you think about this deck and also if there are any changes you might make. I would like to keep it in the standard format please! This deck is not really going to be competitive but rather just for fun and for me to try and "make" competitive. Please give your ideas!!!

Edited by TheUltimae

SuperStone
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Putsgof!

The first thing I notice is how many energy you have. It's great for being able to use a lot of different attackers and being sure you'll always be able to attach, but really, that many just get in the way. We usually recommend 8-15 energy, depending on the deck. For this one, I'd say 13. That's a huge cut, I realize, and it leaves a big hole in the deck. What shall we fill it with? Consistency trainers. Powerful supporters (especially Cynthia), searching item cards (3 ultra ball and 3 mysterious treasure), maybe some tools, items to recover stuff from the discard pile. The cards more than make up for the lost energy: they make it easier to find the cards you need when you need them. That includes the (fewer) energy left, pokemon, and maybe a tool or something to build up to a KO.

Let's talk about the Pokemon. :) I'm not sure Salamence-GX is really very good here. It can't take advantage of it's own ability, and neither can Kyurem; it's first attack is strong, but it takes a lot of energy; it's GX attack is useful, but you can only use it once. I'd suggest replacing it, maybe with Palkia-GX or just more non-GX salamence. Still, that line should probably to to 3 basics, 1 stage 1, 3 stage 2s, along with 2 or 3 rare candy if you have them.

Darmanitan is actually pretty good here, especially if you can guarantee energy in hand. Unfortunately, professor's letter just rotated last year, but you could try . Otherwise, I'm not sure they're worth it- your pokemon all need a lot of energy, and you need all the acceleration you can get. If they can't do it for you, you might need someone else. You also might try aqua patch. It also could be good to trim down the pokemon total- maybe to 14 if you can. I'd start with the druddigon.

Aside from that, I like your build. :) Like you said, it probably won't ever be competitive, but it's a good start.

Edited by SuperStone

Sakura150612

Here's the thing: even a casual deck not intended to be competitive needs to have certain basics covered, or else it's just a mess that loses just about any other deck and it ends up being frustrating to play. 

> For starters, your Pokemon/Trainers/Energies proportion is WAY off. With some very limited exceptions (such as BKT Typhlosion) no deck should ever run 25 energies. Your hand will brick way too often; more often than not you will find yourself drawing dead. Even energy-heavy decks rarely use more than 15 energies, and a lot of normal decks use between 10 and 12 . Having mixed energy costs means you need to take more energy cards, but more than 15 is not worth it. I don't know how many of each you should take since your Pokemon lineup also needs some work, but at the very least I'd aim to not have more than 15 to 16 energies.

> Same goes to your trainer count, 15 is way too little. Trainer cards are the bread and butter of any deck, so taking the right trainers (and a good amount of them) is the key to making a deck work. Right now this deck is lacking on both fronts; you're not taking enough trainers, and the ones that you did take are not very useful. Specifically:

-If you're playing Standard, you should be using Cynthia x4. There's no two ways around it, many times Cynthia will be the only method to refresh a bad hand. Tate & Liza or Judge can also refresh your hand, but Cynthia gives you a 6 card hand. You can use these cards on the same deck, you'll have plenty of space after removing the excess of energies.

-Guzma is also a must have for any deck right now. Being able to take any of your opponent's Pokemon (while having a switching effect as a side bonus) is just way too powerful of an effect to pass on it. I this 2 or 3 is a good number of Guzmas. 

-I'd remove Hau altogether. I'm honestly kind of sad to see that they are still printing the "draw 3 cards" card for every single generation. This thing is a big noob trap that's completely unviable outside of Theme Decks, because every other draw or reshuffle card out there does a better job than it. Take some Cynthias instead; cards like Sightseer and Lillie are also good (although Lillie is a lot better if you have a Tapu Lele-GX to use her on your first turn. Otherwise she's kind of meh).

-Since your entire strategy revolves around placing Stage 2 Dragons straight to your bench, you should use a Lance Prism Star. It could end up prized and will be hard to find without Tapu Lele-GX, but on a deck like this it's still worth taking one.

-Lady is really not worth taking. The only energy you need to have lots of in your hand is Fire Energies for the Darmanitan to attach. Fiery Flint accomplishes this much better (it doesn't use up your Supporter of the turn). For the other energies, you can simply draw them, and reliably so if you improve your Trainer lineup.

-You should be using some amount of Ball cards. The only one that's a must have for almost every single deck is Ultra Ball, but other than that you could consider Nest Balls (to get the Basic Pokemon you need benched ASAP) and maybe Timer Ball (sort of unreliable since it has a 25% chance of failing, but it can be useful on decks with a lot of evolved Pokemon).

-Being a dragon deck, you really need to use some Mysterious Treasures. For dragons, it's basically an Ultra Ball that only requires 1 discard.

-You need some Field Blowers. 1 or 2 is a good amount. You can keep Stadium control with your own Stadium cards, but sometimes you'll urgently need a way of removing tools.

-You also need some Rescue Stretchers. 1 or 2 is also a good amount. Being able to recycle Pokemon is somewhat of a necessity.

-Some Pokemon Tools would be good here as well. You have a few choices. Whishful Baton seems like it would go well with this deck since you usually have to deal with high energy costs and your only form of energy acceleration requires you to use up your attack of the turn, so this can carry you out of bad situations. Choice Band is a really good generic Tool to take on any deck as well, so you can consider it.

> As for your Pokemon, there's a few things you could consider while still keeping this as a casual deck. Since your strategy revolves around benching Stage 2 dragons, Dragonite-GX seems like pretty good choice. The downside is that it can be a bit sluggish compared to the Stage 1 Altaria, but you won't have to deal with RNG so that's definetely a plus. In an ideal scenario, Dragonite-GX's GX attack + Lance Prism Star could fill your entire bench with Stage 2 dragons in an instant. You would need some Rare Candies to make this work, but I can see this being a thing even if it's somewhat sub-optimal.

I'm leaving it at this for now because I'm kind of out of ideas, and it seems like I got Greninja'd so there's more advice incoming anyways xd If you have any doubts feel free to ask again. If I can think of something else, I'll make sure to come back and post it here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

TheUltimae

All right. Thank you guys for the ideas. I have not even started building yet, so I will definitely make some of the changes suggested. If I am swapping out Salamence GX, should I take out the normal Salamences as well? Also if I am taking them out to put in another kind of GX, who should replace Darmanitan, or should he stay. Again, Thank you for your ideas, and they will be put to good use.

TheUltimae

So I kind of re-did the whole deck.

3 Dragonite GX DRM

2 Dragonite Team Up (has not been released in the U.S.)

3 Magnemite FLI

1 Magneton FLI

2 Magnezone FLI

3 Swablu CIN

2 Altaria CIN

2 Victini GRI

3 Ultra Ball SUM

3 Rare Candy CES

3 Volkner UPR

4 Rainbow Brush CES

1 Lance Prism Star DRM

3 Switch CES

2 Energy Recycler GRI

2 Lady FLI

3 Nest Ball SUM

3 Tate & Liza CES

2 Professor Elm's Lecture LOT

5 Water Energy

8 Lightning Energy

I want to add some Guzma and wondered about adding Cynthia, but I had trouble taking any cards out. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE HELP. Thank you! 

WingsofFire1014

So I kind of re-did the whole deck.

3 Dragonite GX DRM

2 Dragonite Team Up (has not been released in the U.S.)

3 Magnemite FLI

1 Magneton FLI

2 Magnezone FLI

3 Swablu CIN

2 Altaria CIN

2 Victini GRI

3 Ultra Ball SUM

3 Rare Candy CES

3 Volkner UPR

4 Rainbow Brush CES

1 Lance Prism Star DRM

3 Switch CES

2 Energy Recycler GRI

2 Lady FLI

3 Nest Ball SUM

3 Tate & Liza CES

2 Professor Elm's Lecture LOT

5 Water Energy

8 Lightning Energy

I want to add some Guzma and wondered about adding Cynthia, but I had trouble taking any cards out. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE HELP. Thank you!

You do need more draw power. So definently highly consider adding at least 3 Cynthia's.

Guzma would probably be the better choice than switch, so most likely try that.

Another thing..... TO MUCH POKEMON! Lose at least six Pokemon. It would make room for the Cynthia's and the Guzma's.

There are probably some other improvements that could be made, but I can't think of any right now.

Hope this helped some.

Sign in to follow this