Sign in to follow this  
Pokegen85

Shuckle GX's Ability

Pokegen85

Shuckle GX's Protective Shell Ability states: Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent's Pokémon that have 2 or fewer Energy attached to them.

Suppose I attack Shuckle with a Blacephalon GX.

This Pokemon has three energy cards attached to it.

The Mind Blown attack states: Put any amount of fire energy attached to your Pokémon in the Lost Zone. This attack does 50 damage for each card put in the Lost Zone in this way. I use the attack and put three fire energy into the Lost Zone.

Shuckle GX takes zero damage.

I have just learned that Shuckle GX's ability counts the energy attached to Blacephelon GX after the attack has been made, not before. To knock out Shuckle GX, one must account for having at least three energy attached to your Pokemon after the attack in order for the damage to go through. In other words, Blacephelon GX needs at least five fire energy to take down a Shuckle GX with weakness damage, and seven fire energy to take down a Shuckle GX if weakness is negated (assuming Blacephelon GX has no attack enhancing items or Beast Energy attached to it).

Shuckle GX is one cruel hombre.

• Upvote 1

Sakura150612

This appears to be a bug though. They've yet to add an official, specific "Shuckle-GX vs Blacephalon-GX" ruling to the compendium, but from what I've read on online discussions on other sites, you're supposed to calculate damage before sending the energy to the Lost Zone. Apparently, this has been confirmed at the past Virginia Regionals (reading this off a thread in Pokebeach).

This is also the reason why cards like Beast Energy and Strong Energy still provide the bonus damage even if they're discarded or sent to the Lost Zone as a cost for the attack (and this ruling is actually backed up by a statement in the compendium which makes specific reference to Strong Energy).

Given the circumstances, there's a very high chance that this is a bug. It does not appear to be in the known issues list yet, but I'm pretty certain that this is a bug, and that as long as your Blacephalon-GX had 3 energies attached before attacking the damage should still go through.

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sign in to follow this