Pokegen85

Deck Construction: About the Test Deck feature.

Pokegen85

I can see where newer players might get frustrated. The deck manager in Pokémon TCGO offers an inadequate feature in which one has the opportunity to test their deck against the AI before playing it in the VS Ladder or in tournaments. The decks that the AI are given to play are actually really terrible and not an accurate reflection of what one might find when going up against other players. The AI needs to be given better cards to play or this feature is going to continue to underwhelm.

• Downvote 1

EpicShonenGuy

If they give better cards to AI it will defeat the purpose of the game wich is playing against other people online and the game becomes stale, like imagine an AI playing with the BDIF, people would rather play against the AI since they know AI doesn't waste time in each turn.

• Upvote 1

SharKing319

If they give better cards to AI it will defeat the purpose of the game wich is playing against other people online and the game becomes stale, like imagine an AI playing with the BDIF, people would rather play against the AI since they know AI doesn't waste time in each turn.

That logic would only work if the AI were actually competent with cards in the first place. But the fact is, this game's AI is hilariously bad at the game. True, it doesn't waste time with turns, but it also doesn't put any thought whatsoever into its plays - instead, if it has cards that can be played in the moment, it will play them for the sake of it, regardless of whether it benefits them or not.

• Upvote 3

Felidae_

That logic would only work if the AI were actually competent with cards in the first place. But the fact is, this game's AI is hilariously bad at the game. True, it doesn't waste time with turns, but it also doesn't put any thought whatsoever into its plays - instead, if it has cards that can be played in the moment, it will play them for the sake of it, regardless of whether it benefits them or not.

This.

We are talking about a game that has problems fixing game breaking bugs in a timespan of 4+ weeks. I can't even imagine how much time it would take to program an AI and then feed it millions of hours of training material to even be remotely able to play any tier one deck in the current formats.

Additionally, since oyu don't gain anything from playing against the Test Bot this would pretty much be meaningless.

I usually use the feature to test different turn 1 set ups, to figure out how consistent I can get them (which is something I would recommend new players do as well, in order to find flaws in their decks before playing against real opponents).

• Upvote 2

Sakura150612

Actually, now that Felidae mentions it, the Test Deck function is pretty useful to test things that don't require any input from your opponent. I remember I used it to test my RNG experiment a while back, since most human players don't have the patience to watch me charge 10 energies on 1 Gyarados and flip coins for all eternity xdd

• Upvote 1

Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, thank you everyone for posting your feedback. I will forward this thread to the development team. 

King-Magikarp

How about for deck test you are able to give the AI one of your decks. My issue is that the deck test cant fully live up to the name as the AI are using very basic decks and are expanded.

Felidae_

How about for deck test you are able to give the AI one of your decks. My issue is that the deck test cant fully live up to the name as the AI are using very basic decks and are expanded.

And then what ? The AI will still continue to make bad choices, use the wrong attacks and attach Energy to the wrong Pokemon..

You are pretty much saying “My dog has problems doing my taxes with a calculator, so I should give him a laptop”. Clearly, the device is not the issue here and neither is the deck that the AI plays.

• Upvote 1

SuperStone

And then what ? The AI will still continue to make bad choices, use the wrong attacks and attach Energy to the wrong Pokemon..

You are pretty much saying “My dog has problems doing my taxes with a calculator, so I should give him a laptop”. Clearly, the device is not the issue here and neither is the deck that the AI plays.

What kind of dog do you have?  My collie has handled my taxes for years and the IRS hasn't said anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1