Sign in to follow this  
Felidae_

Question regarding card legality in European tournaments:

Felidae_

Hey there. Every year, at the start of the new season, I'm toying with the idea to start playing Pokemon IRL. Here's the catch: I'll be in Tokyo for the next two weeks and last time I got myself some Shaymin's, only to discover that apparently there is a sub-clause in the rules that pretty much says you can't bring foreign cards to a national tournament (i.e. since I'd play in Germany, Japanese cards wouldn't be legal).

That kind ashattered my dreams, as I was able to get those Shaymins dirt cheap and I really don't see a reason why a sanctioned Master Level tournament would care about the language of my cards, especially since in Europe my opponent could easily have cards written in French, Italian, or Spanish, which I'm equally incapable of reading as they'd be with my cards.

Then again I don't make the rules and before I buy myself an entire Zoroark + Garbodor deck, I need an answer from someone who plays in tournaments (particular someone who's well versed in the application of the rulebook / might even have experience as a TO).

I can see the three following scenarios:

1. As long as no one complains it's okay to use them, since everyone would know the relevant meta cards anyway and in special cases you could always get the correct wording from a judge, or from the internet.

2. It depends on the TO and I'd have to check before each tournament if it's okay to play those cards.

3. It's illegal and getting caught would either mean that I'd have to replace them with “readable” copies, or resign due to an invalid deck.

I appreciate any help and insight. Maybe you even had similar experience (i.e. what happens if a foreign player visits your store on his holidays ?).

Thanks in advance.

• Downvote 1

graywh

3. You have to play with the appropriate language(s) for the region where the tournament takes place.  (Except for the world championships, where you can play the languages valid for your home region.)

• Upvote 1

Felidae_

3. You have to play with the appropriate language(s) for the region where the tournament takes place.  (Except for the world championships, where you can play the languages valid for your home region.)

Thanks mate. It's kinda frustrating, especially since I come from MtG, but oh well, rules tend to be there for a reason even if I can't understand it.

Sign in to follow this