How did you become interested in Pokémon?

GoronGliscor

280px-English_Pok%C3%A9mon_logo.svg.png

This is where we talk about how we all became interested in the coolest franchise ever, Pokémon. We all have our stories on how we found this fantastic series, so we can all share our experiences here.

Mine began seven years ago when Pokémon FireRed and Leafgreen were announced. My sister and I were watching TV and we saw a commercial for those games. We both really wanted to buy FireRed, but we ended up renting both games online. LeafGreen came first in the mail, and I was absent the day it arrived. I was instantly hooked to it! My first starter was Charmander, and I eventually went to buy FireRed (My sister bought LeafGreen). Now it sparks an obsession that lasts to this day.

I was watching cartoon network back in the days, when I only knew spanish. Not all the shows were translated, but Pokemon was. Watching an awesome show, got me interested in buying Red Version.

My story is a little bit different. I was at the local doctor's office picking up some medicine, and a friend of mine was sitting there sorting his pkmn cards. I asked him if I could see a couple, and he ended up giving them to me. since then, I've had three years of practice and plan to enter the city championships with my Kenetic Leaf deck.

My story is a little bit different. I was at the local doctor's office picking up some medicine, and a friend of mine was sitting there sorting his pkmn cards. I asked him if I could see a couple, and he ended up giving them to me. since then, I've had three years of practice and plan to enter the city championships with my Kenetic Leaf deck.

I appreciate your goal! Mine is similar, but it is that I go to the Video Game Chamionships. I've only been interested in the TCG recently and it also looks really cool.

I started collecting poke cards when 12 years ago when i only was four... I didnt even knew it was a game back then...But i continued collecting and buying gameboy/ds games , and about 7 years later i learnt myself to play via a theme deck's rule book. I started playing with some friends and even grandma! And I've promised myslef i never will quit!

• 2 weeks later...

Once upon a time, my lil bro checked out The Ultimate Handbook by Chris Silvestri (sp?). I flipped trough it, knowing that I would hate it but.... eureka! I thought those lil guys were adorable! And my knowlage builds on... Herdier: Loyal Dog Pokemon

Ability: Intimidate/Sand Rush

Height: 2' 11"

Weight: 32.4 lbs

Known Moves: Leer, Tackle, Odor Sleuth, Bite, Helping Hand, Take Down, Crunch, Giga Impact, Roar, Work Up, Retaliate, Reversal, Last Resort!

I didn't even look at my book!

Peer Pressure, and I'm immune to peer pressure, which is why the first pokemon video game I bought was Pearl, and not Red or Blue. All I did was "over the shoulder" watching.

I was watching my cousin play yellow version when I was about 5, and I learned about the wonderful pokemon eevee, bulbasaur, charmander, and squirtle. I was hooked from that moment until May of 2007... and retutned in October.

I was watching the anime Pokemon out of pure boredom, when I was 6 or 7, ever since I was hooked. I also tried collecting some cards, but failed. I ended up losing them, again I was only 6 or 7, I didn't know any better. But I never lost interest in Pokemon, and I doubt I ever will.

• 1 month later...

I started watching it as a kid and loved it ever since. I really think that Best Wishes is the best series they made since the original series. I also played Pokemon games with old friends and played the trading card game. Those days are long gone.. :(

I started with cards, my baby sitter had some and she taught me how to play, i got hooked on the video games once i got a gameboy black and white i got BLUE, YELLOW,Leafgreen,firered, emrald, Ruby, saphire, platinum , Explorers of sky, red rescue team, pokemon staidum, 1&2 , pokemon snap and pokemon puzzle leauge,

=D lots fun

My kids knew about them in elementary school. Then I was suppose to just get some for my kids as xmas present this year. My wife made me learn to play it so I can teach my kids... I end up liking it a lot. But I did had a MTG history... I stopped playing for like 10 years lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I think for me it started back in the 90's when Pokemon was the best thing since sliced bread.

I was in elementary school, so I was at that young and impressionable stage of life when I was so easily sucked up into the bandwagon that all my classmates were aboard. I remember one student talking about the TV show, and how it was so great, and what time it came on, which happened to be right after school (how convenient! It was as though they were catering to the daily schedules of the youth). So I guess my siblings and I just sat down one day to watch it. I remember loving that show, tuning in every day, even having my mom watch with us.

We then moved on to wanting the merchandise, trading cards and such. It was really a great way to interact with the other neighborhood kids our age. We didn't really understand the card game at the time, so we made up our own rules. If I got good grades in school, my dad would buy me a booster pack. So I suppose Pokemon was an incentive for my education! I don't remember exactly when I started the video game. I remember one of my friends was playing it, and he was just having so much fun (at least it seemed that way to me), and I even remember him showing off the Missingno glitch.

The first game I got was Pokemon Red, but I got Yellow for my birthday as soon as that came out and ended up playing both of them simultaneously.

Fast forward a number of years, I lose interest in the trading cards and the tv series, but still play the games.

I did get back into the TCG for a while, learning how to play it for real, building a pretty nice deck out of cards from my collection, even finding some people at college to play with. Inevitably enough though, on a college student's budget, I can't exactly afford new cards as often as I used to. So I admit I'm taking a break from those for a while. Still play the TCG when I can, of course. At this point I also admit I don't feel enchanted by the TV series anymore. Maybe for nostalgia for those days when I was a wee trainer, but it just doesn't hold my attention like it used to. The video games, though, even though they are essentially the same basic game at every new release, I don't think I could ever stop playing them.

Pokemon, never stop being awesome.

Since the VERY beggining xD (At least in the UK). I got BLUE version the week it came out (and I still have it, and the original game boy).

I think the anime and cards started coming over the year after.... so yeah haha :) Although I did stop playing/collecting cards for a while, I always bought at least one version of the games every time they came out.

To be frank, I don't even remember. I've been into Pokemon since the beginning (in the US, anyway). It was... gosh, the late 90's. I think I only started watching the show because my mother would put it on for us every morning before school. It was the only cartoon on at the time, so we all watched it. I remember thinking Pikachu was cute (hence why even to this day, the Pikachu chain is my favorite). I got into the games via my sister. She volunteered at her middle schools office for the lost and found. At the end of every year, whatever wasn't claimed was up for grabs for the people that volunteered. She ended up taking home a Gameboy Color that had Pokemon Red still in it. When she was done playing it, she gave it to me and I was hooked. Been hooked on Pokemon since.

I remember back in 8th grade, 1998 (yeah I know I'm dating myself here) my friend told me I'd like this show on the WB, (back then it was on really early in the morning). He said I would like Pikachu cause I was obsessed with Hello Kitty. Low and behold I fell in love with the little electric type and have been a huge fan ever since. I've began playing blue version and quickly began collecting cards, and teaching the younger kids how to read and do the math because they refused to play the game the right way. That's how years later I became a teacher because I enjoyed teaching the TCG so much. Now my about to be 5 year old son is loving the show, and I have to go out and buy a DS! Fun times indeed.

Pokemon was all the rage back then, so it was nearly impossible to NOT become interested in it. I believe I got ahold of some cards somehow, as well. I just liked the pictures! tounge_smile.png

We watched and bought all the TV Shows/Movies and bought the ALL the Cards. I used the card game to teach my children to read and do basic math. When they entered Kindergarden all my kids where waaaayyyyy past the other kids.

Funnest time I had was with my Sneasel Deck. 89-0 in league all over town. Sneasel with babys. Brutal to say the least. The card shops around town all started dying so there was no place to play so Pokemon died with them.

Those where some good times. Star Wars Miniatures and Pokemon.

BUT NOW Pokemon TCG online is here and I'm Back!

Great Thread.

I started the very same day Pokémon arrived to Sweden. It's almost 12 years ago now. I was 8, and my big sister was talking about this new kid's show that was going to air, and that we should at least see the first episode, because she thought it would be fun. Needless to say, it was. We were both instantly hooked and just a few weeks after we had started to watch the show, we started collecting the cards. About half a year later our parents bought a game boy color for us, along with pokémon blue. We played it together, taking turns. I remember that we didn't know English well enough to even understand how to capture pokémon. Then one day, I accidently pressed the wrong buttons and threw a pokéball. I was really excited and ran to my sister, jumping around, chanting that I had caught a Pidgey.

Yay, pidgey, lvl 2.

And that was it. To this day, pokémon blue is still my favorite game.

Archived