10.19.2011 Where we are today, where we are going tomorrow and all that jazz in between.

Mod_Maven

Hello! I'm Prof_Maven and I am the Community Manager for the Pokémon TCG Online and I wanted to share where we are today with the game, where we are headed and all that fun stuff in between.

First and foremost a huge THANK YOU to all the great players who love the Pokémon TCG and who have enthusiastically come to play the digital version online. Each and every one of you are invaluable and rest assured, every forum suggestion (both complimentary and critical), bug post, glitch mention, brainstorm session, etc are read, compiled and discussed internally as we plan bug fixes, future feature sets and more.

Moving forward, I plan to post a monthly compilation of more than just Build and Release notes so the community can have a better understanding of what is being worked on behind the scenes. So let’s get down to business, shall we?

Where we are today:

Today we are busily fixing bugs behind the scenes and concentrating less on new features (though you are sure to see a few of those crop up) and getting the game stable. We are experiencing issues such as lag from slow load times, memory leaks and dreaded blue screens of death. None of which make for a great game experience. Because of these issues, we have dug in deep and are re-architecting the back end of the game, going over the rules engine with a fine tooth comb and stopping to tweak as we go. That means that in 2012, we will unveil the new and improved TCG Online, but until then, we are still diligently working on the current version to keep it stable and playable as we transition.

In addition to all that, we are an international game, localized in ten languages with tutorials and the single player Trainer Challenge. We implement every new card set and theme deck. That’s a lot to juggle and our development time gets spread across all these areas. Phew!

What does that mean for now?

It means we will still have monthly updates that address all those pesky issues that are slowing our game down, attacking bugs with a vengeance and popping in the occasion new feature that doesn’t take our engineers away from the new improved version coming in 2012. But it also means some of those bugs and features you may be clamoring for aren’t going to be in the next release, or the one after. We understand that can be frustrating. Since we read every post and every ticket submitted, we hear your frustration amplified and it makes us that much more determined to make the game better. It is really important that you always let us know what you think of our features, since in a lot of cases, the original implementation is just to get something in front of you, our players, to see what your reaction is in order to then develop the feature more fully. On top of that, we are players too, experience the same frustrations you are when we take our evenings and weekends to sit down at the computer and play a game or 10 of Pokémon TCG online.

Where do we go from here?

For now, keep playing and logging suggestions, sharing feedback and submit bug tickets and being patient. We promise to keep listening, prioritizing and getting those tweaks and changes into the game. You may not see them all in the current version, but rest assured, the next version is looking very shiny.

So what’s coming in November?

In November we open the <a href="http://www.pokemontcgo.com/shop] to gem purchasing. Players will be able to purchase gems and use gems to purchase Avatar Items. This is very exciting on our end because it’s just the beginning of all the things to come. In the following month, we hope to introduce Gem Trading. Oh, yes. And the savvy TCG online players know that means a whole lotta deck building is coming. November is also the month we are hoping to have tokens working in the shop so there will be two ways to get avatar items and game accessories. As always, check the Build and Release notes in the forums for a bullet pointed list.

We are very excited about the future and know, though growing pains can be uncomfortable and well, painful, with each new release we are getting closer and closer to the game you have always wanted. However remember, an online game is never ‘done’. We are always reiterating, tweaking, fixing, adding, as we hear the community chatter and speculate, we listen, react and plan. Hopefully we will even be able to surprise and delight you with some of the things we have in mind.

Thanks!

Prof Maven

PS. This is cross posted from Announcements and open for comments in General Discussion.

Thanks for the heads up! This is great to hear. One of the most important thing we as beta testers need from you (the staff) is a strong communication on whats going on.

The two questions I have for now would be do we have a date or estimation for the "new" tcgo release rather then just "2012" and do you anticipate another beta wipe?

Greetings!

As far as the date, I believe its going to be one of those, "it'll be here when its ready" situations. But I can tell you we currently don't anticipate another wipe, but that doesnt mean there won't be in the event we deem it necessary to have one.

Thanks!

Prof Proto

Centurion Moderator

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent."

It's great to see you have your priorities right and are working hard on making the platform itself stable and reliable above all else. I especially like how even in a situation where the current main goal is 'boring' from the point of view on many as it doesn't add anything new but only makes everything already existing work better, you also gave us some nice concrete new features to look forward to. It would be nice to have more of these announcements of what new in-game features are expected out in the next couple of months for the most impatient ones among us like me =)

Overall, I think you are doing a very good job with informing us. Thanks !

the link here has a typo, by the way

Thanks for the feedback.

This was needed as Players Internet time is some much different then Design, Development, and Testing real time.

The Monthly report is great as this gives us something to look forward to and to see what is being done next.

Any form Plan for development roll out even by quarter for the next year would be great. I understand the desire to not do it as it can be used as a club when thing do not go as planned but a broad plan would be great.

Lastly for expectations. 2012 starts in 2 Months and ends in 14 Months. When in 2012?

Can you say the Quarter that the new version is to be released?

Can you say what broad changes to the current system will be in it?

Can you say what new thing will be in it?

I have hear some of the future plans for the site but do not know the order. I will say that the system has improved significantly from when I started and I am looking forward to your success.

Is there somewhere I can post a list of all of the known bugs that need to be fixed in terms of gameplay mechanics? In total, there are at least 10 essential things that impact the outcomes of games that need to be fixed, and I feel like posting them one by one in the bugs forum would allow some of them to be overlooked. Glad to see that things are improving, and I am looking forward to seeing PTCGO get bigger and better! Thank you!

Greetings Pookaveli (and friends!)

We would be grateful if you could send all of your information to us through the Pokemon Support Portal. We compile all of these tickets for review and trust me, we give these nice, long looks when we are deciding on new features and improving current features. Take advantage of it! It would be much, much appreciated, not only by us but your fellow Trainers too!

We love hearing what our players have to say!

Jaqq

Forum Knight

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

Starting next month you'll be taking money for Gems, but after that you might do a wipe?

I don't plan on buying an gems but how does that work? Do you just lose all your money?

Greetings!

In the event of a wipe, players will be credited all their booster credits back. As for the gmes, all the features of gems have not been fully announced, but there is no way it would simply end with "too bad you wasted your money." Since we've only said that the gems will be used for avatar items, we'll either ensure that your items stay consistent, or you would get your gems back. When I get a more official answer on this, I'll make sure to give all the details. Thanks!

Prof Proto

Centurion Moderator

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent."

any word on tournaments? even if they're just small ones for fun or prizes online? would give some variety to the online day to day doing. unless you're going to do this when you released the updated client... D: If at the least, mention tournaments in your next where we are today mapquest post maven.

<p style="margin-right: 0px !important; margin-bottom: 0px !important; margin-left: 0px !important; padding-top: 0px !important; padding-right: 0px !important; padding-bottom: 0px !important; padding-left: 0px !important; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; font-size: medium !important; float: none !important; border-top-style: none !important; border-right-style: none !important; border-bottom-style: none !important; border-left-style: none !important; border-width: initial !important; border-color: initial !important; background-color: transparent !important; ">does anyone know more about the 3 fall tins in europe?

<p style="margin-right: 0px !important; margin-bottom: 0px !important; margin-left: 0px !important; padding-top: 0px !important; padding-right: 0px !important; padding-bottom: 0px !important; padding-left: 0px !important; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; font-size: medium !important; float: none !important; border-top-style: none !important; border-right-style: none !important; border-bottom-style: none !important; border-left-style: none !important; border-width: initial !important; border-color: initial !important; background-color: transparent !important; ">i work at a toy store in Holland and we sell them for 16,99 Euro(it's 24,12 Dollar) and then u just have one uit of the 3 tins. <br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; " />

but the problem here i want them all, that's 51,00 Euro(72,37 Dollar!!!!) and they don't come like youre tins with 5 booster packs, but only 4 booster packs!! <br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; " />

so that's a LOT of money for what u get.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; " />

<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; " />

so does anyone know a online store where they sell all 3 (with 5 booster packs) for less then 57,89 Dollar, and deliver worldwide?<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; " />

THNX

Can you guys figure out and implement a better ranking system that allows you to level up based on a formula of experience. No offense to TCGO but its gets boring when victories are a just a number, there is nothing you can really measure your standing in the world, a sense of progress is a great way to motivate and track your progress, cheers

Hi Burntt,

Have you checked out the leader boards? Click on my profiles under your name in the upper right hand corner.

Prof_Warrax

Master of Chaos

using total games played is not satisfying because it was based on the number of games i played rather than won,,,, thats what i assume,,,

Total game points earned is interesting, what is it tho? im ranked 15 , im seriously awesome!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I actually have a good question,will we be able to purchase cards/boosters pack/decks with Gems?

If not,Then explain me the use of have both token and gem for the same purpose of buying accessories and such?

I dunno but it would seem pretty rewarding if ,like,we could win about 1 gem every X Match we win,and then,when we have X Gems we can purchase a booster pack.That would make player more motivated to play in the long run,also a way of buying Digital cards/booster packs/decks online for a cheaper price than in real life(cheaper because it isnt much hard to make a digital card,doesnt use any materials etc).I think that would work fine,people pay to play wow,pay for point in some Aeria games to purchase "godly" item,I think gem would be most fitting currencie fo such thing,and since token is going to be another curency in the TGC,Maybe it could buy only common stuff.But just keep in mind 1 thing over all other with these curencies.Do not make the game "pay to play in order to win" like, you know like buying gem with real money,and sell HIGH POWER card and such so people with credit card and money get ultra powerful pwn anyone,Keep at the Randomness of thing =D.let strategie(and luck lol) run the game.Even there last time I got pwned by a guy with like 4 NV Virizion,Terrakion,Cobalion, and about 3 of each full art Reshiram,Zekrom, and 3 Kyurem.(This guy must have got luck or bought a BUNCH of card just to get that "luck",but still it went through luck).

And now,one last stupid question,Is there any way we can get notified about news of the Online Pokemon TCG on our email and such?I would like to :) Thanks for your hard work !

Oh and add some profile feature someday,Like by clicking on their username(in game ,and in forum) we get another page that open where we could see that person's trainer data and their public wanted/ in trade card.and where we can click to send PM and see their Fame among player.

• 2 months later...

Archived