But What About The Cards We Own?

TeddyFox

So I've noticed that we can only redeem Pokémon Black & White cards here online but not the old cards most of us own before. I've been looking at all my Pokémon cards I own now, seeing if they all at least have and idividual code on them so maybe Pokémon can allow us to redeem them and play them online. But it seems like you can't since two of the same cards both have the same code on them on the bottom left corner. What do you guys have to say about this? Or is this a 'Oh well, get use to it!' kinda thing?

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: The codes are not on the cards, they're on their own little cards inside the booster packaging. It's not like the e-reader days where one could scan the barcode on a card.

<div id="swiffout"> </div>

Greetings!

We know this is a popular request, and our team is working hard to incorperate as many cards as possible. Our primary focus is currently staying up to date with the most current cards. But maybe at some point, we'll be able to bring back some of the older cards since they are quite a popular request. Thanks!

Prof Proto

Centurion Moderator

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent."

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: The codes are not on the cards, they're on their own little cards inside the booster packaging. It's not like the e-reader days where one could scan the barcode on a card.

<div id="swiffout"> </div>

No, I'm talking about the old cards. The much earlier decks. Maybe even the first ever decks that came out. From then to before B&W. I'm quite clear on how to redeem the recent cards now.

Greetings!

We know this is a popular request, and our team is working hard to incorperate as many cards as possible. Our primary focus is currently staying up to date with the most current cards. But maybe at some point, we'll be able to bring back some of the older cards since they are quite a popular request. Thanks!

Prof Proto

Centurion Moderator

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent."

That's very understandable and good to hear too, thank you.

I'm just gonna scratch my head on how you guys are gonna do it. There's no individual codes for each older cards to prove who gots which cards and how many. Or do something like the whole 'VHR to DVD' kinda thing where you purchased them before but now you gotta buy the update kinda thing. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Thank you for the reply, Prof. Proto.

I'd love to have the old cards. We know they exist in this game already. Some CPU opponents have used Luxury ball, forcing me to scream "UNFAIR!"

My recommendation for this is, for each battle won, you win an "Old School Booster Credit", which lets you buy older boosters that are not included in the HGSS on format. And yes, I believe one booster credit per win is fair because of the sheer amount of older cards there are. It gives incentive to continue playing, trading etc.

I'm sure the designers of this programme have already considered unlimited decks. They just have to decide how to execute it, putting players with different format decks in different rooms etc.

How about to selling access to cards from modified formats that have been rotated out already. You could buy unlimited access to all cards in one expansion set for a small, fixed amount. Like 4$ for access to base set. It would give you access to every card in a specific expansion set, but there are restrictions where you can use them, even the reprinted ones. There would be two places.

1. Special game mode for each past rotation. You can play with rules and cards of previous rotations using cards from sets belonging to these that you have unlocked for money. This is in high demand from old school players =)

2. Unlimited mode would let you use all your cards, both the ones unlocked by buying an expired expansion set and the ones in your actual collection of legal cards of the current rotation. Unlimited mode would be free for everyone to attend using whatever cards they unlocked.

These two would be only for fun game types without any tournaments with rewards or rankings. Modified would be the competitive main game type, the rest would be fun zone ^^. This would also give some additional insurance for cards that have been bought for modified but will get rotated out if you give access to the whole set in special mode and unlimited mode when they are no longer legal in modified. How does this idea sound?

How about to selling access to cards from modified formats that have been rotated out already. You could buy unlimited access to all cards in one expansion set for a small, fixed amount. Like 4$ for access to base set. It would give you access to every card in a specific expansion set, but there are restrictions where you can use them, even the reprinted ones. There would be two places.

1. Special game mode for each past rotation. You can play with rules and cards of previous rotations using cards from sets belonging to these that you have unlocked for money. This is in high demand from old school players =)

2. Unlimited mode would let you use all your cards, both the ones unlocked by buying an expired expansion set and the ones in your actual collection of legal cards of the current rotation. Unlimited mode would be free for everyone to attend using whatever cards they unlocked.

These two would be only for fun game types without any tournaments with rewards or rankings. Modified would be the competitive main game type, the rest would be fun zone ^^. This would also give some additional insurance for cards that have been bought for modified but will get rotated out if you give access to the whole set in special mode and unlimited mode when they are no longer legal in modified. How does this idea sound?

My only issues are there has been 27 Nintendo sets of cards and about 16 Wizards of the Coast sets. At your price, that is about $172. Dispite that not being too steep for those with jobs, kids would have a hard time convincing their parents to shell it out. Sure I doubt most people would buy every set in existance, but...

My second issue is I believe free to play players should have access to everything in game, for free. Paying players should just be able to access it faster.

But otherwise, yeah, good ideas with the modes etc. When you make a deck, the 'check' function would tell you for what format your deck is legal and you can only use it in specific rooms like.... unlimited, MD on, HGSS on etc.

My only issues are there has been 27 Nintendo sets of cards and about 16 Wizards of the Coast sets. At your price, that is about $172. Dispite that not being too steep for those with jobs, kids would have a hard time convincing their parents to shell it out. Sure I doubt most people would buy every set in existance, but...

My second issue is I believe free to play players should have access to everything in game, for free. Paying players should just be able to access it faster.

But otherwise, yeah, good ideas with the modes etc. When you make a deck, the 'check' function would tell you for what format your deck is legal and you can only use it in specific rooms like.... unlimited, MD on, HGSS on etc.

I also think all cards should be arnable by playing, but only for currently legal modified format cards. Old cards would be side content that can be bought but doesn't create additional advantage in the main game. It should be somehow made so that not everyone jumps into limited mode, but at least they bring 20$ each if they buy a couple of sets to use there, better than nothing. That's additional income for Nintendo from side content that doesn't disturb the balance of ranked games at all.

Within official game itself bought advantage would come from getting the cards you want fast, with certainity and very little effort. I watched that video you linked I try to follow its advice :P

By the way what do you think about this idea: when a new expansion set comes out boosters from it can only be bought and not earned for a couple of weeks after it's launched.

Archived