TayTay1986

Game is Completely Unbalanced

antwaundomenicS
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2018 at 3:39 PM, TayTay1986 said:

so you are telling me as a new player, i have like 2  Onlinesbi TutuApp aadhar card decks and you are ranking me in vs against people with GX cards with 180 HP against standard basic Pokemon...I have to back out or waste my time and get smoked... all the games i have played either i have blow someone out or they have demolished me. Please tell me how i am supposed to play this broken unbalanced games?

With that said, there's still a good amount of variety in the competitive scene. There's at least 10 (just a guess, I'm sure I could list them out for you) different archetypes that are considered competitively viable at the moment and we're getting a new set released today that adds a lot to the game.

Edited by antwaundomenicS
  • Downvote 1

Otakutron
8 hours ago, antwaundomenicS said:

...and we're getting a new set released today that adds a lot to the game.

Technically, SM - Unified Minds won't release until August 2nd, and it won't be tournament legal until August 16th.  You can get a hold of some cards early due to Pre-Releases, though.  I didn't pay enough attention earlier, but has the PTCGO already added the new stuff?  If so, guess I missed it. XD

RobRatt
5 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

Technically, SM - Unified Minds won't release until August 2nd, and it won't be tournament legal until August 16th.  You can get a hold of some cards early due to Pre-Releases, though.  I didn't pay enough attention earlier, but has the PTCGO already added the new stuff?  If so, guess I missed it. XD

The only thing they've added to the Online app so far is the Unified Minds Countdown Timer (requires Show Not Owned in Packs), which at this very moment shows 11 days, 20+ hours.  This means they will be doing the usual, and Unified Minds cards will be available on Thursday, August 1st for those who played in prereleases.  And the boosters & theme decks will be available in the Shop on the actual release date, August 2nd.

• Like 1

RobRatt
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, antwaundomenicS said:

With that said, there's still a good amount of variety in the competitive scene. There's at least 10 (just a guess, I'm sure I could list them out for you) different archetypes that are considered competitively viable at the moment and we're getting a new set released today that adds a lot to the game.

The game really is unbalanced, and with net-decking being so easy, any 10-year-old can ruin your game.

There's NOT a whole lot of variety in the competitive scene, with 4 main decks (PikaRom, Zoroark, Zapdos, ReshiZard) taking 2/3 of the winnings in the metagame.  Everything else falls into the other 1/3, and will often lose.  I think we all fight it, saying, "It ain't so." because we love and want this game to be worthy of our time and commitment.

And please don't get started on how much a new set will add to the game.  These last few sets, being so monstrous, have done more to hurt this game than just about anything else.  Lost Thunder was 414 different cards.  Team Up was 351 cards.  Unbroken Bonds was 414 cards.  And now, Unified Minds is too big.  And a couple weeks later, they're going to follow with another whopper set, Hidden Fates, but it will be promo only, making it even more difficult to obtain.  Now, we're averaging 6 sets a year?

These huge sets are usually full of garbage that's not even competitive.  Collecting has become a chore, rather than fun, and it's very hard for new players to get the few cards that are any good.  Add to that, why do we need 4 of the same GX's in one set, with the same attacks, but different artwork?

The Pokémon Company is killing themselves, pushing out too much, poorly designed, because they're being greedy.  It's sad, but it's true.  I hope they realize that, "we'll keep pumping it out, and the dummies will love it" is getting old.  Love does have boundaries.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Otakutron
47 minutes ago, RobRatt said:

The Pokémon Company is killing themselves, pushing out too much, poorly designed, because they're being greedy.  It's sad, but it's true.  I hope they realize that, "we'll keep pumping it out, and the dummies will love it" is getting old.  Love does have boundaries.

That is up to the customers... but my understanding is the bulk of Pokémon TCG sales are from folks who don't really play or collect.  They just need a quick Pokémon fix, so as long as the cards "look cool" and aren't too badly priced, the sale will happen.  Not that I agree with you about a lot of the specifics, but even though I approach the matter differently, I've come to a similar endpoint.  The main difference is that the past times when I thought the game was balanced?  In hindsight, it usually wasn't much better... and sometimes was much worse!

• Upvote 1

Sadra
1 hour ago, RobRatt said:

There's NOT a whole lot of variety in the competitive scene, with 4 main decks (PikaRom, Zoroark, Zapdos, ReshiZard) taking 2/3 of the winnings in the metagame.  Everything else falls into the other 1/3, and will often lose.  I think we all fight it, saying, "It ain't so." because we love and want this game to be worthy of our time and commitment.

Yes, this is the main reason why I do not play standard anymore. The meta has grown so stale that I am sick of playing and facing against the same thing over and over again. 

2 hours ago, RobRatt said:

These huge sets are usually full of garbage that's not even competitive.  Collecting has become a chore, rather than fun, and it's very hard for new players to get the few cards that are any good.  Add to that, why do we need 4 of the same GX's in one set, with the same attacks, but different artwork?

Again, I agree to a certain ********** standard, a lot of the new cards have a considerable to significant effect to the ********** an xyon and expanded player, most of the so called competitive cards only serve as a tech or as an addition to a certain ************* addition, the banning of certain cards, mostly hex maniac, has given single prize attackers a huge advantage and usually they could accomplish at least 2/3 of what tag teams could with all those support. Other than pikarom decks that usually include flash energy to overcome weakness or reshizard that is much more tankier, not to mention that archies is not that common anymore,  I really wouldn't bother to use any of those other tag teams in competitive scenes. I absolutely hate the idea of 4 artworks of a kind, especially the full art one, which is mainly the same artwork as the rainbow rare version. 

2 hours ago, RobRatt said:

1 hour ago, Otakutron said:

That is up to the customers... but my understanding is the bulk of Pokémon TCG sales are from folks who don't really play or collect. 

I agree that they are rushing out packs asap, and yes, most cards are poorly designed and are totally useless. I also hate a lot of the artwork on recent packs, and I really miss some of the older art styles from neo revelation, destiny, and the e series. That is what I want to see on a pokemon card, not some lame drawing that shows ' look I am good at photoshopping' (Ken sugimori, Shin nagasawa and others I am looking at you). From a customer *************** sucks. From their aspect, 'lure them in, put less effort, create **** and they will still catch em all' seems like their motto. 

SargeAbernathy
Posted (edited)

Came to the forum to read if anyone else is frustrated with the game as I am.  I've been putting some months into it because of my enjoyment of Pokemon and my friend's interest in it.  I've played long enough that I've decent amount of decks, plenty of GX and EX cards, and fair knowledge of how to build a deck ... but still feel that sour frustration with the game time to time.  I've been with the game for about a year now ... so certainly not an experienced player ...but I have experience.

I'm debating if I want to call it "unbalanced".  That word I think is too vague, and is used often for when a player is frustrated ... rather than when something is legitimately unbalanced.

For a novice player (or even an experienced one) ... there will always be one of those games where luck of the draw, type match, and the number of GX cards your opponent results in a game where all you have is a bench of pokemon going to a slaughterhouse.  Now, is this unbalanced?  Theoretically:  No.  You have a bad deck, but the game as designed should have an answer to the opponent's deck.  There are decks and cards that can craft up a situation where he can be fought and defeated.  You just happened to have bad luck.

Unbalanced would be more like ... a GX Scyther that has a 1 cost attack that does 500 damage with no drawbacks ... vs a 30 hp Magikarp that has a 5 water cost attack called "splash" that does ... "splash".    In these cases the two cards are wildly unbalanced.  Magikarp is useless in every single situation, and Scyther would dominate every single game with nothing able to challenge it.

I'm not saying Pokemon TCG isn't unbalanced.  It could very well have problems that aren't being addressed.   I've my suspicions on MANY of the GX cards as being a bit too powerful.  (and a small handful that I think aren't powerful enough).  All I'm saying is that "unbalanced" cards isn't the main issue here.

The main issue is that there's still frustration for many players (particularly new ones) ... and it's a bad frustration.  Not a good frustration.   A good frustration in any type of game is where the setback and losses you experience is met with a sense of accomplishment and enjoyment of how it unfolded.  I may not like my Dragonite being taken out ... but so long as he was useful and/or my opponent did a clever trick to knock him out .... well I'm satisfied.   However ... when my Dragonite is knocked out by overpowered cards despite my best attempts to make a deck that recycles energy at a respectable rate .... all because the luck of the draw isn't on my side and I got paired up against someone who has much better cards than me .... that's a bad frustration.

Pokemon TCG Online has no ability to match you up with opponents that are at "similar caliber", similar to how Hearthstone matches people up in their ranked games based on decks and win rates.  This is why Hearthstone, despite having decks that can greatly overpower other decks ... doesn't feel as "unbalanced" as people would call it.  You're seldom up against someone that can just cream you.  In addition, Blizzard is publicly vocal about their desire to keep deck types as even in win rates as possible. 

I told my friend that Pokemon TCG reminds me of another board game that I refuse to play: Talisman.  A board game where you spend hours upon hours building up your character through sheer luck of the dice .... and then all the sudden those hours are wasted because you were turned into a toad.  Pokemon is very similar.  You can have decks you are proud of, and you can spend hours working to obtain more cards ... but one nasty game with an overpowered deck you can't answer to ... just ruins the enjoyment.

Now, I know very well that some people can handle the "bad" frustration.  They're okay with it being a part of game play experience, but for some (like myself) it can actually be a deterrent ... and I'm very appreciative of companies that recognize that and do their best to minimize it while providing challenging experiences.

In summary.  Unbalanced isn't really the word I'd use for this game.

The phrase I'd use is "not fun".

Edited by SargeAbernathy
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Otakutron
Posted (edited)

To be short and concise, I wrote a comment but then realized that

1) I rushed and thus don't think I did a good job with said comment.

2) I've got quite a few posts in this thread, recently; I'd rather let others speak some more.

3) I should delete this comment but... I'm not seeing a "Delete Comment" button, possibly because I am still in a hurry. >.>

Edited by Otakutron
I should take more time to think about it.

DVMon5

I get beat too but I just out playing. It's fun but it just always used to it. My strongest card is Zeraora GX but it fun to play. 😂 I lose a lot but still enjoy. After all it's a game. I'm waiting for my Swampert theme deck to fuse lightening with water. But I lose a lot too! 😘