[CARD] general - Espeon GX's Divide GX attack

JungleKing83

Hey !

Is it normal that the Espeon GX's Divide GX attack's damages are not considered as damages to other pokemon attacks' effects ?

For example I used Turtonator GX's Shell Trap during my turn so as during my opponent's next turn, if his active pokemon attacked Turtonator GX, it get 80 damages. Espeon GX used Divide GX to distribute 100 damages to my Turtonator GX and did not get the 80 damages in return.

Thanx in advance for the answer (sorry if what I wrote is not completely right, I'm french, I did my best).

Yes, normal attack damage and placing (or moving) damage counters are distinct.

Turtonator's Shell Trap effect specifies "damaged by an attack" while Divide GX doesn't deal any damage, instead placing damage counters.

You can see more examples of this with cards that prevent effects of attacks, but not damage (e.g., Wonder Energy); cards that prevent damage, but not effects (e.g., Mr. Mime's Bench Barrier ability), and cards that prevent both, i.e., "all effects of attacks, including damage" (e.g., SLG Hoopa's Scoundrel Guard ability).

Edited by graywh
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for your answer. I just wanted to know if it was normal that damage counters were not considered the same way as simple damages. It's good to know for the next games :)

• 6 months later...

So if I have Hoopa as my active pokemon with the ability that prevents all effects from attacks, including damage done by pokemon ex and gx, why doesnt hoopa's ability prevent the effect of placing damage counters on my pokemon? If is to just mean status effects, it should use the term status effects, but saying just effects means it should protect my pokemon from anything done related to an attack from ex or gx pokemon.

So if I have Hoopa as my active pokemon with the ability that prevents all effects from attacks, including damage done by pokemon ex and gx, why doesnt hoopa's ability prevent the effect of placing damage counters on my pokemon? If is to just mean status effects, it should use the term status effects, but saying just effects means it should protect my pokemon from anything done related to an attack from ex or gx pokemon.

Just to be clear, did your other pokemon receive damage counters, or did Hoopa itself receive damage counters? Because Hoopa only protects itself. All your other pokemon are still vulnerable to effects, including damage.

Other than that, you have to make sure that Hoopa's ability isn't being canceled out by other effects, such as Silent Lab and Garbotoxin in Expanded, or by something like Power of Alchemy Muk in Standard.