the nostalgia thread: share your earliest/fondest pokemon memories

donarudo

Hi, if I spell something wrong it's because I'm using a mac and the context menu on this forum is different here for some reason.

Well, what are your fondest or earliest memories of anything pokemon? Especially if you're old enough to remember way back in '98 like I am when the whole thing started.

I was 13 and in 6th grade. My first exposure to Pokemon came from the Anime. I remember all the silly shows they had on network TV on weekday mornings, both domestic cartoons and anime, and when I first saw it, specifically the episode where they're on the SS Anne, I figured, "oh, another silly anime cartoon they stuck here to fill a slot", but my sister got into it. The first thing I saw were the two kids comparing their charmanders, and I thought all "Pokemon" were charmanders. It didn't leave much of an impression.

Fast forward to march of 99, my brother asked me to get him pokemon blue. (my brother was a highschool freshman.) I did, and eventually, after getting a gameboy color of my own, and playing his copy, I bought me a copy of red and played it to DEATH. That whole summer was pretty much the summer of pokemon.

By that summer I was recording the show (before it went to kids WB, and before we had cable) on our VCR. Later that year, my friend, who had an extensive pokemon card collection, gave me a staryu and a ratatta, and I was hooked.

I remember seeing the first movie in theaters, but after all of my friends.

I remember my first deck of pokemon cards. The first card on the very top was a holo mewtwo. I didn't realize that every deck had one of these, so I was really excited.

I remember when they banned the cards in our school, and, paradoxically, offered a friday free period of pokemon cards. (There were several "campus day" options that we'd do every friday in my Jr high advisory [home room], and one of them was pokemon cards. Of course it filled up quick and my friend and I ended up in the regular card games room that we picked as a backup.)

In high school we were in the chess club, and it seems like we played more pokemon than chess. We'd even make the noises "pika pikachu chu!" etc.

Anyway, I slowly got out of pokemon. I think generation II was the apex of both popularity and creativity in the franchise, and when generation III came out, it just seemed like a step backwards. Now I'm 25, ready to graduate from college, and a wave of nostalgia has hit me hard, so I'm getting interested again. Of course, I no longer have my gameboy color, gameboy advance, gamecube with gameboy player, or wii, so playing the games is out.

My earliest pokemon memory, I didn't even know it was pokemon. I was flipping through tv one morning and I see the Sandshrew episode from the first season. After that, I was hooked. I bought Pokemon Blue when I was 12 with my Bar Mitzvah money and have loved the franchise ever since!

I remember getting a video that discussed what the show was going to be. I think I got it from Nintendo or something. But I remember watching the show initially and that Christmas getting red and blue. I went away from the franchise sometime after Pokemon But within the last year my interest has returned with the games, the show and the card game. So I'm ready to get back into a world I've been away from for 10 years.

Me and my buddy staying up late on weekends popping out Clay, scale sized pokemon figures. Gen 1 only at that point obvious. He went to college and took half. Still dont know why I let him take both Charizard and Mewtwo.

P7.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

Water Type Gym leader at http://unofficialpokemonleague.webs.com/

Pokemon White Friend Code: David 0690 4554 0126

Pokemon Platinum Friend Code: David 4727 0806 7262

Pokemon Gold Friend Code: David 0646 8433 6247

i got my first pokemon card with the Pokemon 4 Ever movie, and it was one of the best things in my life. now i have over 900 pokemon cards and 90% of the pokemon games. POokemon is one of the biggest things in my life. i <3 Pokemon!

i got my first pokemon card with the Pokemon 4 Ever movie, and it was one of the best things in my life. now i have over 900 pokemon cards and 90% of the pokemon games. POokemon is one of the biggest things in my life. i <3 Pokemon!

Welcome to what I think is probably one of the coolest clubs you can belong to. It has fans from like age 5 to people like my mom who is almost 47! Probably Star Wars has the next biggest spread I'd say!

------------------------------------------------------

Water Type Gym leader at http://unofficialpokemonleague.webs.com/

Pokemon White Friend Code: David 0690 4554 0126

Pokemon Platinum Friend Code: David 4727 0806 7262

Pokemon Gold Friend Code: David 0646 8433 6247

First heard about Pokemon from a news segment about the Porygon episode that caused seizures in Japan, but I really became interested in the franchise when a gaming magazine ran an article about this "Pocket Monster" games that were a craze in Japan and how it wasn't likely that they would ever come to the West. Luckily the magazine was wrong and we did get the games a few years later. I bought the game and loved it, I got to catch the anime shortly after that and of course the TCG followed shortly after.

Since this is a TCG site, my first Pokemon card was a Charmeleon, I would at least buy cards from those 10-50 cent piles that they had back in the Pokemon craze. It wasn't until Jungle came out that I started buying boosterpacks and I bought the starter deck which taught me how to play the game a day before a tournament. The Pokemon League started after that and I had a blast in it as a kid. Later I actually got to be the League Leader of the same store that I used to go as a kid. Fun stuff.

Archived