[Suggestion] 2v2 mode

Princess_Aurora

Hi everyone! I would like to know how a 2v2 mode sounds, and if it’s a good idea to implement it. Here are some details about how it works.

-The game will be exclusive to Pokemon TCG Online, as it will involve players in a team “sharing” cards.

-There will be two teams of two players, and each player has his/her own bench and his/her own defending Pokemon. Each players will also have his/her own discard pile and deck, but there will only be two prize card stacks, one for each team. 6 cards is randomly taken from each player and put down as prizes. The objective will be the same as the usual mode: either take all prize cards, or wipe the field of hostile Pokemons (that sounded cruel).

-The turns will be alternated: for example, Player 1 and Player 3 are in team Blue, and Player 2 and Player 4 are in team Red. If Player 1 from team Blue ends his/her turn, a player from the opposing team will take his/her turn. The cycle will be definite, so if Player 4 plays after Player 3, it’ll always be the case during the whole game.

-Players will NOT be allowed to attach Energy cards and Pokemon Tools to his/her teammate’s Pokemon. He/she also won’t be able to use Item or Supporter cards on his/her teammate’s Pokemon.

-There will only be one Stadium in play each turn, so terrain dominion would be a lot more intense.

-There would be 12 Prize cards for each side. If Supporters/Items such as N are played, each player will draw the amount of prizes left on his/her side divided by two, and if it’s a decimal number (example: 11 prize cards left, divided by two equals 5.5), the number will be rounded up (in this case, the players will draw 6 cards). Prize cards will be claimed as usual, but since that the prizes are mixed (6 cards from each player of a team), it would be interesting to use your teammate’s card.

-To add more cooperation in this mode, players from the same team can see each other’s hand and can choose to “trade” a card. Card trading can only be done once per turn, and both teammates have to agree for the trade to happen. It’ll give this mode an interesting increase in versatility.

-Each player would have a timer of 13 minutes to favour speedy gameplay. “Solitaire” players can be a serious pain in the neck in this mode, as they’ll make three people yawn at the same time. If a player from a team concedes, the team loses.

-Area of Effect attacks (such as Soprano Wave, Canyon Axe or Black Ray GX) will only affect a single player’s Pokemon. If it affected both players from in a team, two Black Ray GX can easily wipe a whole field of GX units.

-Players will be able to attack either opposing defending Pokemon in their turn, but not both at the same time. So teams can either choose to concentrate fire on the biggest target, or spread out their attacks.

-A direct communication channel is extremely recommended between the players of the same team.

That’s all the extra rules that I can think of, if there’s something that is unclear, feel free to ask about it below! Also, I’ll apologize if it sounded crazy/confusing/weird to you, but in my defense I made it up on the go (subway trips can make you think about a lot of things).

If you think that there are some more rules missing, post it below! With some chances, a 2v2 mode would be added. Pokemon TCG lacks some co-op options, so 2v2 could be an entertaining “just for fun” mode.

Edited by Princess_Aurora

If it helps your thought process, 2-on-2 Battle has been tried and tested in the real world.

Getting 4 people coordinated together Online might prove to be rather awkward?

NOTE:  They used this format (below) for 4 people at many tournament side events, even though it was worded for two players.  It's been a long time ago, but it seems to me that they were doing this at the very first Worlds (2004?), or earlier.

The 2‐on‐2 Battle format allows each player to have 2 Active Pokémon in play at a time. This game is played exactly like a regular game of Pokémon except for a few rules changes.

 Players may put up to 2 Basic Pokémon into play, face down, at the beginning of the game.

 No player may have more than 6 Pokémon in play at any time. If possible, a player must have 2 Active Pokémon in play at all times.

 Only 1 Pokémon may attack each turn. During his or her turn, a player may only choose 1 Defending Pokémon to attack unless the text of a Pokémon’s attack refers to “each Defending Pokémon.”

 When both of a player’s Pokémon are Asleep, Burned, Confused, or Poisoned, that player can make an attempt to recover or avoid damage in whatever order he or she would like. When 1 of that player’s Active Pokémon becomes Paralyzed, it cannot attack on that player’s next turn— though his or her other Pokémon may still attack if it is not affected by a Special Condition that would prevent it from doing so.

 If a Trainer card has an effect on an Active Pokémon, a player must choose only 1 Active Pokémon for that card’s effect, unless that card specifies that it affects more than 1 Pokémon.

 When a player’s Pokémon uses an attack on an opponent’s Baby Pokémon that requires a flip, that player must flip a coin. However, if 1 of the defending player’s Pokémon is a Baby Pokémon that requires a flip and the defending player’s other Pokémon is not, the attacking player does not have to flip a coin to attack the non‐Baby Pokémon.

Source >> Pages 7-8, Pokémon Organized Play Official Tournament Formats
Revised: September 19th, 2011

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 2

Hi everyone! I would like to know how a 2v2 mode sounds, and if it’s a good idea to implement it. Here are some details about how it works.

-The game will be exclusive to Pokemon TCG Online, as it will involve players in a team “sharing” cards.

-There will be two teams of two players, and each player has his/her own bench and his/her own defending Pokemon. Each players will also have his/her own discard pile and deck, but there will only be two prize card stacks, one for each team. 6 cards is randomly taken from each player and put down as prizes. The objective will be the same as the usual mode: either take all prize cards, or wipe the field of hostile Pokemons (that sounded cruel).

-The turns will be alternated: for example, Player 1 and Player 3 are in team Blue, and Player 2 and Player 4 are in team Red. If Player 1 from team Blue ends his/her turn, a player from the opposing team will take his/her turn. The cycle will be definite, so if Player 4 plays after Player 3, it’ll always be the case during the whole game.

-Players will NOT be allowed to attach Energy cards and Pokemon Tools to his/her teammate’s Pokemon. He/she also won’t be able to use Item or Supporter cards on his/her teammate’s Pokemon.

-There will only be one Stadium in play each turn, so terrain dominion would be a lot more intense.

-There would be 12 Prize cards for each side. If Supporters/Items such as N are played, each player will draw the amount of prizes left on his/her side divided by two, and if it’s a decimal number (example: 11 prize cards left, divided by two equals 5.5), the number will be rounded up (in this case, the players will draw 6 cards). Prize cards will be claimed as usual, but since that the prizes are mixed (6 cards from each player of a team), it would be interesting to use your teammate’s card.

-To add more cooperation in this mode, players from the same team can see each other’s hand and can choose to “trade” a card. Card trading can only be done once per turn, and both teammates have to agree for the trade to happen. It’ll give this mode an interesting increase in versatility.

-Each player would have a timer of 13 minutes to favour speedy gameplay. “Solitaire” players can be a serious pain in the neck in this mode, as they’ll make three people yawn at the same time. If a player from a team concedes, the team loses.

-Area of Effect attacks (such as Soprano Wave, Canyon Axe or Black Ray GX) will only affect a single player’s Pokemon. If it affected both players from in a team, two Black Ray GX can easily wipe a whole field of GX units.

-Players will be able to attack either opposing defending Pokemon in their turn, but not both at the same time. So teams can either choose to concentrate fire on the biggest target, or spread out their attacks.

-A direct communication channel is extremely recommended between the players of the same team.

That’s all the extra rules that I can think of, if there’s something that is unclear, feel free to ask about it below! Also, I’ll apologize if it sounded crazy/confusing/weird to you, but in my defense I made it up on the go (subway trips can make you think about a lot of things).

If you think that there are some more rules missing, post it below! With some chances, a 2v2 mode would be added. Pokemon TCG lacks some co-op options, so 2v2 could be an entertaining “just for fun” mode.

Hello there Princess_Aurora, 

You are doing a great job by sharing your suggestion with us!
Many thanks to you!

I'm passing it along to the developers for their review.

Your input is awesome!  :)

I'm also editing the title of this thread to reflect this sub's format. 

@RobRatt Thanks for that info! It sounds like the TCG equivalent of a double battle. I'll look it up on the net to see why something like that wasn't continued.

@Gurulot Thanks for editing the thread title, I never figured out how it worked. XD

If it helps your thought process, 2-on-2 Battle has been tried and tested in the real world.

Getting 4 people coordinated together Online might prove to be rather awkward?

NOTE:  They used this format (below) for 4 people at many tournament side events, even though it was worded for two players.  It's been a long time ago, but it seems to me that they were doing this at the very first Worlds (2004?), or earlier.

Wow I have never heard of this. Thanks for sharing. 

MtG has two-headed-giant since years, it would only be natural for pokemon to adapt to the competition.

However, doing that online would proove to be problematic due to the lag.

Since there is no region lock, you would probably have so much lag and have to wait so long for each player that the first turn alone would take 10 minutes atleast. And what if your teammate drops due to lag - you fight 1 vs 2?

Hi Trainers,

This is certainly an interesting idea! I think it could potentially be a lot of fun to play 2v2 matches. 

Oldschool1990 does bring up some good points in terms of lag.  It would be challenging to work that out. 

MtG has two-headed-giant since years, it would only be natural for pokemon to adapt to the competition.

However, doing that online would proove to be problematic due to the lag.

Since there is no region lock, you would probably have so much lag and have to wait so long for each player that the first turn alone would take 10 minutes atleast. And what if your teammate drops due to lag - you fight 1 vs 2?

Yes! Surrenderering is not an option, we shall fight until the end! XD

On a more serious note, you have some points. A region lock could limit the lag, and it just may clear the way for a spectator mode feature. 2v2 in real life shouldn’t be a problem except for the mixed cards, but sleeves will take care of that issue, while that online it’ll require some additional server power, and some prayers that « solitaire » players don’t wander in that mode.

Edited by Princess_Aurora