Explain GXs

madkiwix

Can we get a rational explanation of why the GXs are so ridiculously unbalanced.

Edited by madkiwix
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The people responsible for designing new cards want to sell more cards.

They have never heard of power curves, though.

They respond to their past mistakes by magnifying them.

Actually, it isn't GXs that are OP. Each new set tends to ramp up the power creep. The GXs just happen to be one of the latest things to come out.

Edited by SandaledOtter
  • Upvote 4

Gx's are indeed strong and many of them are widely used in top tier decks (zoroark, gardevoir, dusk mane necrozma etc.) They have higher HP than Ex's and do not require any spirit links when evolving compared to mega Ex's. Power creep has always been a thing and cards would get stronger and stronger. However, many of them are also quite weak (gumshooes, alolan golem) as well. Please note that while Gx's are strong, it is a double edged sword as you get 2 prize cards for knocking one out, which should not be difficult if you have arather competitive deck. If you are a new player and currently do not own any powerful GX's try a few decks below:

1. alolan dugtrio/starmie

2. alolan ninetales/Glaceon EX

3. Empoleon/octillery

4. Raticate break/airados

5. Garchomp/lucario

These decks do not require leles and are quite cheap to obtain, You can find the decklists on pokebeach or YT channels. You can also add me as a friend and I will give you the decklists.

• Upvote 4

Expanding on Sadra, here are some more non-GX decks that can be competitive.

• Volcs
  • Creep Show
  • Raichu lock decks
  • Gren BREAK
  • NM, whose immense following and immense dislikedness have passed on to Expanded
  • TurboDark in Expanded (it's still kicking) (the Lord of Expanded will never die) (No, I'm not on yveltal's payroll. Why would you think I'm on yveltal's payroll? Gosh, you're so assumptuous) *rrring rrrring*Hello, this is Yveltal speaking. (You gotta get me outta here!)
Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So I think I've got GX's figured out, they are basically the equivalent to a participation award. All flashy and nice but don't require any effort except to show up. 

• Downvote 2

So I think I've got GX's figured out, they are basically the equivalent to a participation award. All flashy and nice but don't require any effort except to show up. 

No...  

It is certainly a downside of the PTCG's design that very few non-rare cards are competitive.  In MTG, for example, while the best cards still rack up huge price tags, there tend to be multiple playable ones in each pack.  However, GXs still need to do a lot more that just show up.  Since most of them, unlike EXs, are evolutions, you have to make the deck consistent enough to evolve as soon as possible.  And you have to prevent yourself from getting KOed before you do.  They take just as much strategy to play as other cards, and often more, since you have that once-a-game GX attack to worry about.  So I don't think what you said is very fair.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Expanding on Sadra, here are some more non-GX decks that can be competitive.

• Volcs
  • Creep Show
  • Raichu lock decks
  • Gren BREAK
  • NM, whose immense following and immense dislikedness have passed on to Expanded
  • TurboDark in Expanded (it's still kicking) (the Lord of Expanded will never die) (No, I'm not on yveltal's payroll. Why would you think I'm on yveltal's payroll? Gosh, you're so assumptuous) *rrring rrrring*Hello, this is Yveltal speaking. (You gotta get me outta here!)

Don't forget Hoopa SLG-centric decks like Hoopa Stall and Offensive Hoopa, those aren't GX-centric and can hold their own against GX-heavy decks.

Edited by grriffinn

Not sure, I have a deck of 20 gx and can't seem to get the cards I need to get the win

The way to win (to get the cards you need to win) are trainer. A rule of thumb is 10-15 Pokemons, 10-15 energycards and the rest are trainercards. There are some topics for helping you like http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55311-why-do-you-lose-chapter-2-%E2%80%93-if-it-bleeds-we-can-kill-it/

It`s important to draw a lot of cards so you should have 4x N, 4x Cynthia and maybe some Sycamore in your deck.

The way to win (to get the cards you need to win) are trainer. A rule of thumb is 10-15 Pokemons, 10-15 energycards and the rest are trainercards. There are some topics for helping you like http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55311-why-do-you-lose-chapter-2-%E2%80%93-if-it-bleeds-we-can-kill-it/

It`s important to draw a lot of cards so you should have 4x N, 4x Cynthia and maybe some Sycamore in your deck.

Yeah, that doesn't really apply due to the GXs over the top stats. They can take more hits, have cheap energy costs and have a one shot that overpowers the game. There are no draw backs. At least the game developers made a weak attempt with the mega and ending your turn when you evolve  :rolleyes:.

I get, they want to sell to their core audience , 7 year olds. It's garbage, but I guess that's what they want.

I've got kids, I started playing this because of the insert code in packs. It was fun, I enjoyed it. The kids don't play, they only want the shiny cards.

• Downvote 2

Yeah, that doesn't really apply due to the GXs over the top stats. They can take more hits, have cheap energy costs and have a one shot that overpowers the game. There are no draw backs. At least the game developers made a weak attempt with the mega and ending your turn when you evolve :rolleyes:.

I get, they want to sell to their core audience , 7 year olds. It's garbage, but I guess that's what they want.

I've got kids, I started playing this because of the insert code in packs. It was fun, I enjoyed it. The kids don't play, they only want the shiny cards.

That is only true of some of them. Others are expensive, weak to popular decks, and/or have GX attacks that are nearly useless.

I see them.  I read them.  But usually ignore them.

How many times have we heard, "those EX's are broken," or "those GX's are unfair," and then 6 months later, they're crowing, "Man, my GX deck is the best."

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that doesn't really apply due to the GXs over the top stats. They can take more hits, have cheap energy costs and have a one shot that overpowers the game. There are no draw backs. At least the game developers made a weak attempt with the mega and ending your turn when you evolve :rolleyes:.

Ok so cheap energy cost, can take more hits and can OHKO...

Gardevoir GX (cheap energy cost but need more energy to OHKO so it doesn't count and it is a stage 2 so it's hard to get out)

Lucario GX (you need to do some work if you want to OHKO with this guy and then you need to find a way to reset his Aura Strike)

Zoroark GX (can only OHKO in expanded, weak to fighting which is gaining popularity lately)

Uh...what else?

Seriously, if you're implying that a GX deck doesn't need stuff like sycamore, cynthia, N, ultra ball etc then you're just really, really, REALLY wrong

Edited by BowserLuigi

Ok so cheap energy cost, can take more hits and can OHKO...

Gardevoir GX (cheap energy cost but need more energy to OHKO so it doesn't count and it is a stage 2 so it's hard to get out)

Lucario GX (you need to do some work if you want to OHKO with this guy and then you need to find a way to reset his Aura Strike)

Zoroark GX (can only OHKO in expanded, weak to fighting which is gaining popularity lately)

Uh...what else?

Seriously, if you're implying that a GX deck doesn't need stuff like sycamore, cynthia, N, ultra ball etc then you're just really, really, REALLY wrong

Gardevoir GX can get energy with its ability and has 230hp???? Stage 2????

Lucario GX

Zoroark GX

Never mind, you just made my point. Thank you.

• Downvote 2

Gardevoir GX can get energy with its ability and has 230hp???? Stage 2????

Lucario GX

Zoroark GX

Never mind, you just made my point. Thank you.

I listed 3 GX. There are so many bad GX. Your point?

And yes believe it or not being a stage 2 is a disadvantage

Edited by BowserLuigi

Oh no, I have to evolve to a stage 2 in an evolving based game. Oh no, my disadvantaged stage 2 has three times the health and I have to use minimal energy to take out my opponent.

The only fix to this is of course make even more powerful cards. Pretty soon it'll basically be a game of war where everyone has 51 kings and 1 ace, the excitement.

Oh no, I have to evolve to a stage 2 in an evolving based game. Oh no, my disadvantaged stage 2 has three times the health and I have to use minimal energy to take out my opponent. The only fix to this is of course make even more powerful cards. Pretty soon it'll basically be a game of war where everyone has 51 kings and 1 ace, the excitement.

Glad to hear you've chosen a game that you thoroughly enjoy.

JSYK, there always have been, and will be, winning decks which are a surprise to players.  You don't HAVE TO play the meta game necessarily.  That's an art unto itself.  In the Top 8 of the last couple Regionals (Standard Format), Greninja Break took 3rd place in North Carolina, and Hoopa was 7th in Oregon.

Maybe you're someone who is just having bad luck "going rogue," so you're venting?  It's a waste of breath really, because the game and cards are designed in Japan.  The Pokémon Company here in the U.S. is more or less, just a distributor and coordinator of products.  You're getting nowhere by posting here, except opening the door to negative responses.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 2

********, on 15 Apr 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

Oh no, I have to evolve to a stage 2 in an evolving based game. Oh no, my disadvantaged stage 2 has three times the health and I have to use minimal energy to take out my opponent.

The only fix to this is of course make even more powerful cards. Pretty soon it'll basically be a game of war where everyone has 51 kings and 1 ace, the excitement.

Oh no I don't have the cards in my hand to pull off a rare candy combo

Oh no my stage 2 GX has less health than some other stage 2 GX

Oh no my stage 2 GX gets OHKOed by a basic GX

Oh no my stage 2 GX cannot use her ability and does lol damage against greninja

Oh no my stage 2 GX does nothing against Icetales/Hoopa. Better ask her non-GX boyfriend to take care of them...oh wait he's a stage 2 as well

Problems that your precious stage 2 GX will face if you'd actually care to use her

Edited by BowserLuigi
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Back during the year 2000, when only a few expansion of sets has been released, it was already like this. I wonder if you heard of the haymaker deck, buzzapdos deck, and alakazam stall. A few more interesting thing to add during that time:

1. You could put 4 computer searches and itemfinders (which is literally the dowsing machine) in one deck.

2. The pokemon center card (max potion) heals not one but all of your pokemon simultaneously.

3. Energy removals do not require winning a coin flip.

4. Google neo genesis sneasel and slowking.

Power creep will always be in every card game.

• Upvote 2

Back during the year 2000, when only a few expansion of sets has been released, it was already like this. I wonder if you heard of the haymaker deck, buzzapdos deck, and alakazam stall. A few more interesting thing to add during that time:

1. You could put 4 computer searches and itemfinders (which is literally the dowsing machine) in one deck.

2. The pokemon center card (max potion) heals not one but all of your pokemon simultaneously.

3. Energy removals do not require winning a coin flip.

4. Google neo genesis sneasel and slowking.

Power creep will always be in every card game.

To be fair Slowking's status as a banned card was due to a mistranslation that was never fixed, the original Japanese text of the card says that Slowking has to be your Active Pokemon for Mind Games to work.