Getting Alternate Prints in TCGO

Honaleon

I've noticed that the new Alternate Print cards are now listed in game in their respective original sets, but I personally have never gotten one of these new Alternate Print cards (Jolteon, Delinquent, Shauna, etc) in game in one of the packs since these new prints came out.

I'm wondering if anyone else has? Is it possible to get these new Alternate Prints in game via the card pack shop, or does one need to buy the physical box sets they come in?

I don't want to keep wasting my time buying the packs in game if these new cards haven't been haven't been added to updated versions of the packs. Thanks.

Is it possible to get these new Alternate Prints in game via the card pack shop, or does one need to buy the physical box sets they come in?

The latter. As far as I'm concerned the Alternates were never included in any real-life boosters in the first place. The only reason they are 'included' in a particular set is to make sure that they do not get exempted from rotation when their time comes.

So tl:dr yes you need to buy the physical box sets (or trade for them)

As the Dragon-Turtle-Plumber above me said, you can only get them in special promo boxes in real life. They can be somewhat hard to get, but the alternate artwork can be absolutely stunning. Take Shaymin-EX a77, for example.

I don't want to keep wasting my time buying the packs in game if these new cards haven't been haven't been added to updated versions of the packs. Thanks.

Those alternate reprints come from this Premium Trainer's promo box:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/product-gallery/premium-trainers-xy-collection/

Sometime last year, they started marking some Promo cards (and/or reprints) with a Yellow A, but keeping the original set symbol and number.  Like BowserLuigi mentioned, this probably has to do with the annual Format Rotation, rather than giving old cards a new Promo number, which would keep them around.