Sign in to follow this  
Harion

How to counter modified Mach Strike?

Harion

It one-shots everything. It sets up very fast. You can't stop it once 2 Lucarios are on the bench. It has a hitting power of 230!

• Upvote 1

Eden2902

I play near only with Guardevoir GX and so I never got a problem. In most cases I have a Guardevoir in Round 2 and one shot them all. Field blower for choice band. I ask myself how your opponent manage it to have early two Lucario? My deck have Parallel City, so I face at once just two Lucarios, the active Garchomp and one benched. With Linette I have mostly 3-4 Ralts in round 2. Guardevoir GX deck counters nearly every deck. My only losses are from disconnects and one battle against the new Solgaleo/Magnezone deck.

Harion

T1 Gabile down. Riolu on bench. If lucky draw, 2 Riolus on bench.

T2. rare candy -> Garchomp. Ultra Ball ->Lucario. Tutor, get other Lucario.

T3. wreck shop.

Edited by Harion

SuperStone

It's interesting how much more draw support there are in newer theme decks.  It's really accelerated the power creep. ---------- Well, the most obvious thing would be to hit Garchomp for weakness.  But the last deck with any real fairy types was Sky guardian, and it's somewhat old- and, importantly, doesn't mach up well with the rest of mach strike.  So that's out.  We could instead go for a fighting weakness, and maybe use Rock Steady- but it's supply of strong attackers in small.  It might be best to ignore the weakness angle altogether, and use something like Destruction Fang or Imperial Command that has good draw support.

Eden2902

T1: Ralt or Alola Vulpix active, then Hyperball, Lele, Linette, 2 Ralts and 1 Remoraid to bench

******** Candy -> Guardevoir GX 1-3. With just one energy attached one shot every garchomp which should have min 2 energies in T2. Hyperball for Octillery, evolve Ralts and Guzma for other garchomps and advance.

T3: Clear the field, you should have min 2 Guardevoir.

• Downvote 2

SuperStone

Wait- clarification.  Are we talking Standard format?  Or Theme or Expanded?

Eden2902

I think he means Standard because of the topic. There is a "modified" mach strike mentioned. I've seen here and there Garchomp decks but for me they weren't such a huge threat.

Chasista

Wait- clarification.  Are we talking Standard format?  Or Theme or Expanded?

Standard. You were for sure thinking about Theme in the previous reply. Look at the thread title, key word: modified.

For sure you already know but just in case, it's getting one Mach Strike Theme (or two, why not) and add 4-1-4 or 4-2-4 (including one BKP fighting Garchomp for those Zoroarks) with a 2-2 or 3-2 Lucario line, 4 Cynthia, plus candies, 2 Pal pad/4 Puzzle or whatever can recycle her and the 4DCE for second's Garchomp's attack, and let's go.

No Lele's, Zoroark's, or other 10-40 packs cards, just 1000 tokens in shop or 500 and few trades, to start punching hard. And we are lucky DDragon and Strong energies  not in format... or maybe we are not, that would seem the BKP fighting Garchomp's+Korrina deck. Again great times for that dragons.

Edited by Chasista
  • Upvote 2

Harion

I'm talking of standard. I don't have the cards to build Gardevoir GX deck.

Chasista

So it depends what you play. General ideas.

You can counter with Weakness (Fairy).

Espeon EX (BKP 52) could help to slow down a bit the deck unevolving all pokemon and KO those with already damage enough in the previous stages. Read in general: any deck spreading damage all around and then Miraculous Shine for 1 energy.

You could lock abilities (Garbodor BKP57) to deny the Lucario's Precognitive aura. Harder for opponent to Cynthia every turn.

Run Field blowers to remove the Choice bands and stadiums if any Devoured field or others. In addition have your own stadiums. Also Enhanced hammers for the DCEs.

Just fast thoughts. No magic formula.

But over all, play a good deck: consistent, fast and hitting hard. Not every match can be won. That's the funny.

Harion

I gave up and just built my own modified mach strike. vs mirror really sucks though. it gets boring really quick as it's just a game of who gets to set up quicker.

Chasista

I gave up and just built my own modified mach strike. vs mirror really sucks though. it gets boring really quick as it's just a game of who gets to set up quicker.

Would you be so kind to share the list?

I did mine, without Lele though because I only have one so I thought would be pretty lucky based. Maybe it's the piece the deck is missing because I didn't found the deck being so good or exciting.

Do you really encounter so much MS decks while in Standard? I didn't play so much but I've seen none I think. On the other side, I did fight some Empoleon modified decks :rolleyes:   It's "cool" because not all Theme decks worth for a custom deck. Wave Slasher adding some expensive things and the idea of Resilient life maintaining only 4 or 5 cards, and now ULP brings almost done decks :D

Macfaust

Would you be so kind to share the list?

I did mine, without Lele though because I only have one so I thought would be pretty lucky based. Maybe it's the piece the deck is missing because I didn't found the deck being so good or exciting.

Do you really encounter so much MS decks while in Standard? I didn't play so much but I've seen none I think. On the other side, I did fight some Empoleon modified decks :rolleyes:   It's "cool" because not all Theme decks worth for a custom deck. Wave Slasher adding some expensive things and the idea of Resilient life maintaining only 4 or 5 cards, and now ULP brings almost done decks :D

I have a modified Mach Strike and I do not use Tapu Lele / Brigette combo.  What I use is its own power card drawer 4x Cynthia and 3x Pal pad.  That would be enough to recycle Cynthia back and it works for me.  I was able to do streak 10 at least.

Chasista

Would you share your lists?

This was the list I first made.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Gible BKP 68 (Could be 3-4, with Brooklet hill it's a nice combo)
* 2 Gible UPR 96
* 2 Gabite UPR 98
* 3 Garchomp UPR 99

* 1 Garchomp BKP 70
* 1 Riolu BUS 70
* 2 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Lucario UPR 67
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119

* 3 N DEX 96

* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90

* 4 Rare Candy PLB 85
* 2 Pal Pad FLF 92
* 2 Escape Board UPR 122
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121

* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 1 Devoured Field CIN 93

##Energy - 11

* 7 Fighting Energy XYEnergy 3
* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Didn't played so much though. I think it's (with no Leles) quite a standard list.

• Upvote 1

Harion

This is my deck. It's true the deck needs Tapu Lele GX to achieve consistency. I've tried to offset that with Nest Balls and Evo Sodas so that I'll still at least be able to lay down some mons and evolve them even if I don't pull Brigette. Ninetales GX is just there coz you need Alolan Vulpix anyway as your starter pokemon -> Beacon ability. Plus it gets so many concedes when I use its GX ability. It's like ppl forget it can just reflect the damage it takes. I'd like to recycle field blower and hammer if I could find a way to do so.

It's disheartening fighting this kind of deck once its set up coz the deck can just search for answers to your deck.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Gible UPR 96
* 3 Gabite UPR 98
* 3 Garchomp UPR 99
* 4 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Lucario UPR 67
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 N DEX 96
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Fisherman BKT 136
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 1 Repel SUM 130
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Switch ROS 91

##Energy - 12

* 8 Fighting Energy Energy 6
* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Mod_Jynthu

Hi Trainers,

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

Sign in to follow this