Why can't we trade locked items?

Dragonite_123

Dragonite_123

Why aren't we allowed to trade with locked cards why was is this a game feature? I just want to trade cards for other cards all I am just saying is that they should remove it.Anyone agrees with me?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

because if the game allows it, so many cheaters would create so many accounts trading locked cards with multiple accounts until they can complete their collection. there'd be account farms in china just making money off of this.

• Upvote 3
SuperStone

Yeah, it's basically an anti-cheating system.  It's unfortunate for newer players, who often have almost nothing that isn't locked, but it's necessary to keep someone from doing what Harion said; making huge numbers of accounts and then trading all the daily rewards to one of them, which would quickly become a lot.

The only part of it that really annoys me is that they don't actually explain it anywhere, and so virtually every player goes through a phase of "Why is everything locked?  I hate trade locks!" (myself included.)

Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 4
BowserLuigi

Yeah, it's basically an anti-cheating system. It's unfortunate for newer players, who often have almost nothing that isn't locked, but it's necessary to keep someone from doing what Harion said; making huge numbers of accounts and then trading all the daily rewards to one of them, which would quickly become a lot.

The only part of it that really annoys me is that they don't actually explain it anywhere, and so virtually every player goes through a phase of "Why is everything locked? I hate trade locks!" (myself included.)

Same goes for "EX/GX are OP!!!" I guess (yes I once thought Entei EX was OP cuz **** Mick, then realized he's never seen any competitive light)
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
SingingFlyEx

When I started this game, I already knew about the code redeeming / card trading feature.

As a result I was amazed at how much free stuff we can get in ptcgo. I wasn't expecting this.

So I felt it was fair that free stuff is not tradable. It's definitely a lot better than NOT getting anything for free.

Perhaps it's good for us that new players are not introduced to the mechanics of ptcgo. Some of them are disappointed in the game and don't keep the servers even more busy^^

• Upvote 4
Mod_Jynthu

Hello Trainers,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on trade-locked items. 

The only part of it that really annoys me is that they don't actually explain it anywhere, and so virtually every player goes through a phase of "Why is everything locked?  I hate trade locks!" (myself included.)

SuperStone, thank you for providing that feedback. I have passed this along for further review. 

• 1 year later...
Mrhollywood4

kinda dumb that cards from packs received in game cant be traded. i could get some super rare card that i dont want. well guess what i cant trade it. gj games ruined

SuperStone

kinda dumb that cards from packs received in game cant be traded. i could get some super rare card that i dont want. well guess what i cant trade it. gj games ruined

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Can I presume you did read the rest of this thread?

• 1 year later...
ShanerGorman

I'm sorry I'm still not really understanding this.

Today I spent a happy 3 hours looking through available trades. I was looking down the long list of options I had.

I was giving a "Sword & Shield - Rebel Clash Pack" and thoroughly enjoying looking through all the options. I finally decided on a trade and was happy with my exchange.

I traded the "Sword & Shield - Rebel Clash Pack" for a "Moltres and Zapdos and Articuno GX Promo card" (a Sun and Moon SM210 Promo)

There were plenty of other awesome options still available. So I went to the online in-game shop to purchase more "Sword & Shield - Rebel Clash Packs" so that I could trade some more of these packs for other cards I saw available. I set the search filter to: Packs < I Am Giving < Sword & Shield - Rebel Clash and proceeded to click refresh to look at my those same options.

My screen was met with the message: "Loading trades from server, please wait." then: "No trades were found matching he search criteria" …. This confused me.

After all I just bought more packs to trade with. I then un-checked the "Acceptable Trades Only" check box. Sure enough all those same options I had been looking at over the past 3 hours were now no longer acceptable. Although, I had packs to trade, I could no longer trade them for the cards I wanted that I had been looking at over these past 3 hours.

LOL …. I went back to my collection to look at my packs to see if anything would indicate why I could not trade these any longer. Sure enough I saw this "Trade Locked" marker at the bottom right hand side of the pack in my collection. I now understand that these packs that I bought, I can NOT trade.

So yeah, sorry still not understanding why I cannot trade these packs that I just bought. Yes, I have read the previous comments on this page. Can anyone put it simply. Can anyone say it another way to help me understand. 

Thank you in advanced.

-ShanerGorman

• Downvote 4
ellomello044208

Any packs bought from the Shop on PTCGO will be trade-locked. And trade-locked Packs can't be traded. Period.

• 1 month later...
Trainer46555444

So, I get (to an extent) why this happens with cards but what possible reason could there be to trade lock the deck boxes & sleeves you can purchase for coins in the shop?! This makes literally zero sense! 

Otakutron
3 hours ago, Alqaholik said:

So, I get (to an extent) why this happens with cards but what possible reason could there be to trade lock the deck boxes & sleeves you can purchase for coins in the shop?! This makes literally zero sense! 

To prevent farming.  If you can buy it with the in-game free currency, it is trade-locked.  Yeah, even "Game Play" Items.  It may not make much sense now, but this feature used to be more robust.

• 4 weeks later...
ShanerGorman

Oh! Right, sorry I didn't even think of that. Too true. People could sit all day earning tokens just to buy packs for trading. I can see how that could be abused. Thanks guys.

• Upvote 6
  • 1 month later...

Another possible reason for this practice could be to allow the online game to interact with, but not be interchangeable with the paper game. Doing so may help to keep the paper game more relevant, if you can only trade 'real' cards (that is, cards purchased physically in person) then the prices of paper cards remains more stable and also drives the online players to expand their physical collections. This is very good business.

Online only players can check the web for their local card store and sell the paper cards to the store for more $$$ to buy more packs to increase their online collection. Though, keeping the cards and trading into a IRL deck is highly recommended. Playing a person face-to-face (or mask-to-mask) is WAY MORE FUN. IMO. :D

-Long time MTG player.

Edited by 5p3c7re
  • Upvote 1

One thing  i think they should impliment is the ability to to self-lock up to 3 or 4 copies of a card. It's definitely a good security measure, and also allows you to keep something without losing it. Obviously a limit on how many you can lock would keep the trade system from being destroyed. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...