Will we be able to buy individual cards?

burtyy

• I was really hoping that once the final version of this game comes out, I would be able to just buy the cards I need and build whatever deck I want. This way, I don't have to spend loads of money on booster packs trying to get what I want (which I won't do, even if its the only way to get cards).

So... I was reading a sticky written by one of the mods, and it said that there will be codes in certain booster packs that let you credit a booster pack to your online profile. I REALLY hope that this will not be the only way to obtain cards in the final version. I think that most older players like myself (and this makes up a good portion of the population... check the "how old are you" post) are not really interested in collecting cards, but just buying the cards we need for our decks and playing them. If this is the only way to obtain cards in the final version, I think that a great deal of people in my demographic (myself included) will not be a part of this.

So... Any official word on whether we will be able to buy singles in the final version? If not, and if anyone in charge is reading this post, I think it would be a VERY good idea to allow players to buy individual cards, as it would draw in more people of my demographic, ********'t so much interested in collecting the cards as we are in playing this game. You would still also be earning a lot of money off of this, and I don't think most people would mind paying a little extra to get the specific cards they were looking for.

Think about it. I'm 18. I have a debit card. Buying stuff online is a breeze. I do it all the time, and I'm sure most people of my demographic do the same. I don't need a bunch of cards that I'm never going to use filling up my drawers (nobody I know plays pokemon, and I have no leagues near me). Buying virtual cards would be cheaper for you, as you do not have to print any actual cards, just add them to my online account.

So to sum it up, will we be able to buy singles cards when this product finally launches? And if not, please consider this, as I think it would be a great idea, and draw in many more people. Thanks for reading?

i used to play mtgo .... so sry to tell you, but it is highly unlike you will be able to buy individual cards. In MTGO people bought virtual packs and were able to sell/trade for individual virtual cards (via game tokens in this case) to other players if they wanted to ... and i see the exact thing happening for this ... but i agree with you i don''t want a room full of cards i won't use, so i hope they make online packs avaible for purchase!

I rather hope that they continue to put online codes in normal booster packs as a player of the PTCG I equally don't want to have to buy two lots of Boosters one real and one virtual.

It would be nice to be able to use the PTCGO to playtest and teach the PTCG to players.. I do hope it doesn't turn into a simple money making exercise and instead is used to add real value to the PTCG and encourage PTCGO players to try the real game :D

"Buying virtual cards would be cheaper for you, as you do not have to print any actual cards, just add them to my online account."

There lies the issue with this. Sure, they don't need to purchase any cards but they will need to pay the labour costs for staff to add every single card into a database with a corresponding price. Thinking about the fact that there are like 400+ pokemon with reprints of many cards, this will take a long time.

I may be wrong, I might be this that has required so much time since the start of the Open Beta. I personally believe it will work in the same manner that the real TCG does, that is with the cards and decks. I believe it will be possible to use our ingame tokens to purchase packs along with the possibility of purchasing them using only checkout options.

You could probably be able to sell back cards you don't want for an amount of tokens based on rarity. Or trade them. I'll be keeping mostly every card. You never know when you'll want to build a deck with something new.

i have a problem

when i want to play the trainer chaleng it loads but it stops in 99%.

its realy weird

Hey Darmaitan99 that happened to me to. strange isnt it

i have a problem

its realy weird

i can only play tutorials.trainer challenge and avatar creator get to 100 or 99% but don`t work.

i have a problem

its realy weird

i can only play tutorials.trainer challenge and avatar creator get to 100 or 99% but don`t work.

There probley upgrading the website or something

I just don't want to spend real money. I'm fine with only being able to obtain cards through booster packs earned with in-game tokens, but I don't want to get my credit card out to play this.

Sure, certain special cards could be only obtainable through purchase, or those starter decks could be obtained through the special codes inside, but I don't want that to be the only way to get stuff.

If that's the way this thing goes, I'll go back to pokemontcg for the old school gameboy, where you earn booster packs two at a time for beating someone.

I bought 20 black and white booster packs from amazon and they came today the rarest cards I got were 1 rare reshiram 1 ultra rare reshiram and 1 ultra rare zekrom.

If you don't mind my asking, did all of them come with the TCGO code? I want to be sure before purchasing anything online since I cannot see what the packs will look like. According to a mod/admin, the boosters with the codes are specially marked.

I bought 20 black and white booster packs from amazon and they came today the rarest cards I got were 1 rare reshiram 1 ultra rare reshiram and 1 ultra rare zekrom.

• Okay, so let's say you wanted to make a Reshiram deck, with 4 Reshiram. You just paid $4 X 20 booster packs = $80!!! And you only got 2 Reshiram! So theoretically, in order to make your deck, you would have needed to buy $160 worth of booster packs to get your 4 Reshiram. And that's just your Reshiram! What about all the other cards from the other sets that you would need?
  • So what is MTGO makes you get all your cards from booster packs? this isn't MTGO. I know I will never play this game if I am not able to just buy the cards I want, because I do not have loads of cash to spend on this game, and I'm sure most people in my age group do not either.

i have a problem

its realy weird

There probley upgrading the website or something

im not sure if i agree with you because im pretty sure it doesnt take 2 days to upgrade a website, but thats only my opinion.

To be honest, anyone who thinks they will be able to play this game with absolutely no cost forever, gaining plenty of new cards and building a bunch of great decks, is a bit naive. Do you think it's a feasible marketing strategy to basically make an online version of your physical card game that people can play for free, with people around the world, and without cluttering up their house with cards? People would abandon the physical version altogether (or at least, a large part of the following would).

I think the way they are doing it now is great. They are using the online TCG to give added value to the physical card game - an extra incentive. Even in it's beta testing, it has worked for me and my friends - we've already gone out and shelled out a few bucks to pick up the new starters and get back into the game we gave up so long ago, because we're excited at the prospect of being able to find opponents online when there's no one around to challenge.

As for buying singles - I highly doubt it will happen. Maybe your tokens/gems and whatnot can be used to purchase single online promo cards, but to wish for a full singles catalogue is being really hopeful.

In a perfect world, youd get to play this online for free or spend as little as possible. But realistically, what they're giving us is a **** good balance between their interests and ours.

"Buying virtual cards would be cheaper for you, as you do not have to print any actual cards, just add them to my online account."

There lies the issue with this. Sure, they don't need to purchase any cards but they will need to pay the labour costs for staff to add every single card into a database with a corresponding price. Thinking about the fact that there are like 400+ pokemon with reprints of many cards, this will take a long time.

I may be wrong, I might be this that has required so much time since the start of the Open Beta. I personally believe it will work in the same manner that the real TCG does, that is with the cards and decks. I believe it will be possible to use our ingame tokens to purchase packs along with the possibility of purchasing them using only checkout options.

Although having a single card catalogue sounds nice, I have to kinda agree with Benny. It might be nice however (especially if there isn't a catalogue) for users to be able to sell cards to other users instead of JUST to trade them. Also, TCGO is upposed to include all cards in the current modified format but just the black and white booster have codes. Will the codes give us "booster pack tickets" to buy a virtual booster pack from the set of your choice or what?

I didn't know you could edit your post and accidentaly put a second post pointing out a mistake. Anyone know if you can DELETE a post?

Booster packs should be available through in game currency (tokens) or real money (gems). Cards should not be sold for real money only or else the game will not be competitive for those people who cannot afford to spend alot of money on cards. Also if you earn alot of booster packs by playing the game, then you should be able to get the cards you want by trading. It would be cool to encourage collecting all the cards of a set by awarding extra tokens or promo cards for accomplishing this feat.

The only other trading card game I've played is Metal Gear Ac'id for the PSP. In that card shop you could buy (with in game currency only) booster packs or individual cards that came up at random 3 at a time. The common cards were cheap and the rare cards were very expensive. That game had no online component so you could not trade with other people.

What about card pop like in the old game boy TCG!!!

If that's the way this thing goes, I'll go back to pokemontcg for the old school gameboy, where you earn booster packs two at a time for beating someone.

Yes but you had to pay for the game...(and the system) so that wasn't free :P

If a TCG game comes out for 3DS perhaps...(hopefully!) it will work more similar :)

I don't think buying single cards online will happen at all. In the paper game, those who buy and sell singles are from the secondary market right? Now who runs Pokemon TCG online? TPCi. Are they from the secondary market? No. And what does the T from TCG stand for? Trading. Yes. To get 4 Reshiram, you must buy enough boosters to be able to trade your unwanted cards with someone. The great part of rare cards is that is is much more tougher to get, but unfortunately in with the secondary market with any paper TCG, getting rares is as simple as spending a lot of money. Boosters also come with a multitude of the 9 types. It may or may not contain the type for your deck.

So you really have 2 choices. Trade with people, or be like me and buy a few boosters, and work with what you have, that is, if I buy enough boosters for a deck, and it contains more of one type than some others, I will use the one with more.

I do not want to see single cards being purchased ever. It's okay if you buy online boosters with game money or real world money that has been converted to game money, but buying singles would just be too easy.

Archived