Cards that prevent setting up in expanded

dragos597

I would like to discuss the most broken card in expanded during turn 1. Those cards usually prevents you from setting up if you go second

Sudowoodo(GUR)- In standard, people prefer to use parallel city to reduce opponent's bench space due to sudowoodo taking up bench space itself. But in expanded, with sky field, you can prevent opponents from abusing sky field and stopping them from setting up by making them think twice about playing shaymin or lele . In mirror matches, the person who go first will most likely win by limiting opponent's bench space turn 1. Pointless to play this on 2nd turn since most decks would already set up and would love to discard shaymin/lele unless against sky field deck.

Trevenant(xy)- Turn 1 wally and you get item lock. Those who go 2nd wouldn't be able to set up. Without a draw supporter/ lysandre/guzma/lele in hand, it is hard to set up since shaymin won't get you much cards and your item cards are dead weight in your hand. Trying to play shaymin to draw cards will also let trevenant break snipe your shaymin in 4 turns.

Ghetsis- Does the same thing as trevenant but in a different way. By shuffling your items back into your deck you obviously can't use any items on your turn 1 unless you top deck. By fortunately shaymin will get you a lot of cards since some cards are shuffled into your deck, but you will need to get two basic in your hand.

Those are the three I find annoying to face, which are the ones you hate to face?

I don't play PTCGO anymore but I used to groan everytime the other guy throws a hammer or flare grunt at me and I would be like 'oh not again.....'

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ya those cards are pretty annoying but without some sort of control who knowns how the formats would of turned out? Personally the only control card I dislike right now is trevent (in the past I HATED stromfrount machamp and I still do to this day), I am totally fine with toad, vileplume, garbodor and other similar cards.

One of the most devastating things that I can imagine is getting ghetsis-ed on turn one when you have a whole hand of important items and then receiving a sarcastic well-played from your opponent :)