Global "mute" button for in-game chat?

ZanPokeyman

From what I understand, you can mute individual opponents by clicking on their picture and then the mute button. However, there really isn't a way to mute the emoji spam and sarcastic gloating (like somebody saying "good move" when you made a mistake, or "you have a nice deck" when you're losing badly).

I know people will tell me to grow up/get used to it/stop whining etc etc, but stuff like that actually does ruin the experience for me. Making a fatal move in a tournament is bad enough, having the opponent gloat about it just makes it worse. 

Now, I'm not saying to get rid of what little communication we have left entirely, but I would like to see a "mute all" option that disables the chat for all the people an individual faces. It would be like the current "mute" button, but you wouldn't have to click it at the start of every match.

Honestly, if this was an option, it would make actual chat more viable. That way people who don't want to be harassed (like me) can turn the chat off, and the people who want to chat can turn it on.

Or there could be a global setting with three options: mute chat, emoji chat, and free chat. In a match, the setting would be set to the lowest option either opponent has, from mute to emoji to free. For example, free chat would only be available if both parties selected the option. If one is free and one is emoji, it would only be emoji chat. If either person has the mute on, there can be no conversion at all. The default option could be "emoji", and people could set more or less chat freedom from there.

Even if full chat is now totally out of the realm of possibility, a way to switch off the emojis/pre-selected statements for all matches would still be nice.

Frankly, I think everybody wins with the three options, but having emoji on/off for random matches would be a nice second option too.

You can mute the chat entirely if you go to your trainer profile and click on pokemon tcg online settings and on social preferences there's four options "open" "limited" "closed" and "custom" choose "custom" and under that it should be there an option that says "game chat" and mute it.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the help! I'm going to try doing that. It looks like it doesn't block chatting in friend battles, so that's good too.

This i what I thought, thanks for clarifying! 

You can mute the chat entirely if you go to your trainer profile and click on pokemon tcg online settings and on social preferences there's four options "open" "limited" "closed" and "custom" choose "custom" and under that it should be there an option that says "game chat" and mute it.

Thanks for helping out, EpicShonenGuy! Your tips are very handy, that's awesome! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like the idea of everyone has a option of setting with off/emoji/free and the lowest is applied.

this also should n't be to hard to implement for the devs. The game used to have free chat and its not completely deleted cuz its still in friend battle. and doing a mute shouldnt be a issue at all if devs wants to be lazy they could just auto tick the mute button and make it invisible that shouldnt be more than 10 lines of actual code.

based on the fact that the game got alot more storage per player cuz they locked the since of the trade history to 250. it shoudnt be a issue to have a byte dedicated to have a new variable with something like chatoption. where u can show it.
checking pregame what settign should be applied shouldnt be a issue either.

i would love to see this or something like this soon implemented in the game.

I might got a bit to much into coding details, and probably simplified it a little bit cuz i dont know how the game is actually coded but it doesnt seem to much of a effort 

Thank you for the additional feedback, Glucario111! We have passed this on to the dev team, but I am not sure how easily something like this could be done. 

Can someone clarify this? If you block a player in-game, do you still receive canned chat and emojis from that user? Blocking a player should prevent them from being able to message you directly, but it sounds like canned chat and emojis can still come through?

Great post! We are suppose to choose between 6 different emojis and 4 standart phrases in-game and even with a bunch of friendly options, people still are able to be rough. It happens almost every game with me.

I will try this since chatting in game is the stairway to a ban.