Upcoming Deck: Dusk Mane Necrozma / Magnezone

SharKing319

If you've been keeping up with the new card reveals, you'll know that they've been dominated by two major things: Sinnoh references, and more importantly, a massive flood of Metal support. I could talk about all of that (or make the obligatory "Gardevoir was a mistake" comment), but instead, I wanted to highlight it with what I think will be a prominent deck archetype when we get these cards.

This potential archetype mainly revolves around three cards. The first one I'll detail here is what will likely be the main attacker:

Dusk Mane Necrozma GX - 190 HP - Metal
Basic Pokémon (Ultra Beast)

[C] [C] [C] Claw Slash - 60

[M] [M] [M] [C] Meteor Tempest - 220
Discard 3 Energy from this Pokémon.

[M] [M] [M] Eclipse Sun GX - 250
This attack can only be used if you have more Prizes remaining than your opponent. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.

Weakness: Fire
Resistance: Psychic
Retreat Cost: 3

The attack to focus on here is Meteor Tempest, which KOs basically everything in the game with a Choice Band. However, there are two major flaws with it: it takes a truckload of Energy, and it forces you to discard most of it. How on earth do you keep using that powerful attack turn after turn?

Here's where the ridiculous Metal support kicks in. Here's how you quickly fuel Necrozma's rampage:

Magnezone - 150 HP - Metal
Stage 2 - Evolves from Magneton

Ability: Magnetic Circuit
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Metal Energy from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon.

[M] [M] [M] [C] Zap Cannon - 130
This Pokémon can't use Zap Cannon during your next turn.

Weakness: Fire
Resistance: Psychic
Retreat Cost: 2

Yep, it's a Metal version of the Lightning Magnezone from BREAKthrough. (Seriously, why can't they just be Steel and Electric for consistency's sake?) Get one of these in play, and you can conceivably take Prize after Prize with Meteor Tempest, much like Blastoise supporting Black Kyurem-EX's Black Ballista back in the day.

However, Black Ballista had Superior Energy Retrieval to compensate for the heavy discards. What does Meteor Tempest have? Oh, just a little Sinnoh reference called:

Mt. Coronet
Trainer - Stadium

Once during each player's turn, that player may put 2 Metal Energy from their discard pile into their hand.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can't play this card.

Yep, with this Stadium card, you can take back two of the three Energy you discard every turn, which means you only need to find one extra Energy each turn to keep up the tempest. Combine all of this with the current staples of the format, like Guzma to hit whatever you want, and you have an absolute monster on your hands.

Of course, there's also the option to pair the Coronet-Magnezone engine with Solgaleo-GX, since that can also KO everything with a Choice Band and even has a broken Ability for mobility. Why'd I go for Necrozma, then? Because Solgaleo + Magnezone = double Stage 2s, a deck model that has been historically clunky. That's my main concern for Solgaleo.

But anyway, what do you guys think of our Metal overlords-to-be?

• Upvote 1

I feel like Metagross might still be better than Magnezome because Metagross is a more viable attacker, with a huge 250 health and higher damage for less energy. However, like you said, that Dusk Mane Necrozma looks like a way easier to set up Solgaleo, so that looks promisng.

That stadium... way too much metal support.

Also, don’t forget Prism Star Solgaleo:

Solgaleo ◇ – Metal – HP160

Basic Pokemon

◇ (Prism Star) Rule: You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card is discarded, put it in the Lost Zone.

[M] Rising Star: For each of your opponent’s Pokemon in play, attach a [M] Energy from your discard pile to your Pokemon in any way you like.

[M][M][M][M] Corona Impact: 160 damage. This Pokemon can’t attack during your next turn.

Weakness: Fire (x2)

Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Retreat: 3

You can only have it as a one-off, but Rising Star looks really good mid/late game.

EDIT: To be fair, you only need one Magnezone, while you need 2 or 3 Metagross to keep Solgaleo/Necrozma going...

Edited by SuperLuigi231

I feel like Metagross might still be better than Magnezome because Metagross is a more viable attacker, with a huge 250 health and higher damage for less energy.

Well, Magnezone isn't really supposed to attack in the first place - it's supposed to use its Ability, Magnetic Circuit, to quickly charge up Necrozma (or any Metal attacker, for that matter).

Yay!  More Volcanion support! :P

But seriously, I think this is going to help the meta.  It will definitely cut down Garde a fair bit, and more importantly, it brings in some different and competitive strategies.

However, I find it interesting that Dusk Mane Necrozma counts as a UB.  Lunala is arguably one, but it is never referenced as such.  And Necrozma is treated as a UB in most incarnations, but Pokemon Shuffle seems to think otherwise...  Toss it on the inconsistency list with Metal and Lightning, I guess.  And don't forget Colorless!

Edited by SuperStone

Well, Magnezone isn't really supposed to attack in the first place - it's supposed to use its Ability, Magnetic Circuit, to quickly charge up Necrozma (or any Metal attacker, for that matter).

Yeah, but Metagross can function as a backup attacker if it gets stuck in the active or Necrozma isn't ready.

4 energy is a lot when it comes to streaming an attack and we don't have superior energy retrieval in standard. I do agree that the stadium is great for recovering energy however thats only half of your attack cost. You could try to use a card like starime but this deck similarity to pickachu-ex/magnezone decks really wants to be streaming attackers every turn of the game, octillery is your ideal partner for that sense it provides more consistency and strong N protection. Playing a stage 1 line and a stage 2 line is hard enough playing 2 stage one lines is to much. Thats why I think that regular energy retrieval is a better idea although it is finite its much more consistent. Although this deck also has a problem with field blower, in the late game its not the easiest thing in the world to get both retrial and mt.Coronet at the same time.

This deck also shares a weakness that vikabulu decks have. What if you attack but then your opponent uses guzma to ko vikabolt? if you can't replace it you are going to lose game. Its very possible that you can get magnezone taken down with your stadium witch means you will have to find rare candy/magnezone in the same hand along with your stadium and retrieval all in 1 turn.

The same weakness applies to octillery because you are going to need it in the late game if you opponent decides to take it out and then play an N you will probably lose the game.

You also have very little bench space, almost every game you are going to play tapu lele britgette, 2 magneton and 1 remoraid. Amusing you do not have one of those in the active That leaves you with your active pokemon and only 1 spare bench space for more necrozma.

Not sure if this will be that strong, blastoise decks had tropical bench and superior energy retrieval they also did not have to worry to much about there blastoise getting picked of the bench; and they had attackers like keldeo that did not always need to discard energy.

I'm not sure if I see this working even though we are in a slower format this idea just not seem consistent enough to work every time also volcanion decks will tear you to shreads.

Maybe in expanded this could be a lot like old blastoise decks sense it has tropical beach and superior energy retriveal (also shaymin ex and eggsucute) however fire is an even stronger type there

Edited by ahoodedman

@ahoodedman you only discard 3 energy. You get back 2 with the stadium and 1 in hand, or with an Energy Retrieval. Not hard to do. And of course, just like any payer should know, you should set up 2 Magnezone so you're not in danger if one gets KOed. I really think you're underestimating this deck. 3 Energy is not hard to do with the Stadium and an energy. This is monster when it sets up, just like Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem.

I believe that Newgaleo(the yet-to-be-released Solgaleo-gx that was already released in a starter set that was released to the Japanese market three Fridays ago, the one that has an ability that negates weakness in a similar fashion to the inferior Altar of the Sunne(stadiums can be Field blowered away, while abilities can only be negated by attacks or even abilities like Garbotoxin(which also turns off Steam Up, and which still can be countered by Field Blowers which can knock off the required pokemon tool card and send that to the discard), SUM Solgaleo-gx(the one w/ Ultra Road), and Mt. Coronet has good synergy when it comes to charging Dusk Mane Necrozma: One DCE + 1 use of Newgaleo's Turbo Strike(or even 1 Metal and 1 use of Sol Burst), combined w/ 1 elixir success(or 1 metal attachment from top 6 of your deck) and/or 3+ metals(2+ if you attach a DCE to take care of that last necessary Colorless required to use its no. 2 attack) in discard for Turbo Strike attachment from discard and Coronet, and provided you attach a choice band to DuM Necrozma, you will be 1-2 manual turn attachments away from being able to use DuM's Meteor Tempest for a potential 250(1HKO to any printed card not influenced by effects, such as Gyarados-GX w/ attached Bodybuilding Dumbells, M Venusaur-EX w/ 2-4 ability Floette from Flashfire, Crystal Wall Black Kyurem-EX, among other combos), and 1-2 prize cards w/ room to recharge w/ Newgaleo on your next turn for a Meteor Tempest repeat on your second turn from the turn you previously used it...

Edited by Jammer87

@ahoodedman you only discard 3 energy. You get back 2 with the stadium and 1 in hand, or with an Energy Retrieval. Not hard to do. And of course, just like any payer should know, you should set up 2 Magnezone so you're not in danger if one gets KOed. I really think you're underestimating this deck. 3 Energy is not hard to do with the Stadium and an energy. This is monster when it sets up, just like Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem.

my mistake I thought it was discard all energy like solgaleo. Ether way all energy recovery cards that go into your hand grab 2 anyways so its not it would make any difference; you still have to deal with inconsistency.

Of coarse you set up 2 magnezone, I mentioned that but thats not something you can do every single game. Even if you do hit turn 1 brigget getting 2 rare candy magnezone combos is still far from easy even though they do not have to be out at the same time.

Blastoise had a different format, things where perfect for it. Good match ups all around, far easier set up, little risk of getting blastoise killed more consistency options.

I just don't think that necrzma is consistent enough to work like blastoise was nor does it have the best match ups

speaking of match ups here are its wins and losses

Gardevoir variants: W you 1 shot them with 1 energy on you so they almost can't 1 shot you in return

zoruark variants: W they have no way of keeping up with you if you set up

sillvalley: W (for now) at least until we get the fire memory same reason as zoruark

ninetails 50/50 you both 1 shot each other easily and can power up in a single turn

vikabulu 50/50 same as ninetails

garbodor variants 60/40 you need to spend a lot of items to set up and keep moving, garbodor is ok 2 shotting you sense they only drop one prize they also have garbotoxin witch ether stops you or forces you to spend more items

greninja L shadow stitching, thats all I need to say

volcanion L they hit you for weakness and are much faster then you

Ho oh salazzle 70/30 they have the weakness factor however they are a bit slower and can't 1 shot you with baby volc so its not hopeless

a lot of decks just have better match ups across the board

Edited by ahoodedman

In all truthness, its a decent deck. Of course, there is still a while before we actully get the set, so maybe cards out of the set will change how we look at the meta. I also, agree with all of your matchups, good analysis.