Trophies removed!?!?

SuperStone

:( Why?

This just doesn't make sense.  There have been some development choices I've questioned in the past, but it always seemed like the team was at least trying to make the game the best it could be.  So I'm hoping this was just somebody getting too little sleep or something.

I really don't want to sound too harsh, but I really can't fathom how this could have been a logical decision.

Thoughts?

Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 4

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this was a REALLY pointless change.

WHY???????  People are rewarded in real-life tournaments every day.  Pokémon is a competitive game, at its core.  It's not like this cartoon Trophy cost them anything to give away.

I know my son was disappointed a year ago, when they removed the trophies from Gameplay items.  And now, you can't even see them in Event History.  Worse yet, it shows "+0" for the ones already earned.

Is someone in Development one of those whimpering idiots who thinks Johnny Dumbdumb might feel bad when someone else won something?  Are we all equal?  This can be carried to an extreme.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 2

The devs like removing things that can be "offensive" to at least one player on Earth. First it was the chat, and now, trophies. Pretty soon, they will probably just remove Versus Mode and make everything AI.

• Upvote 2

The devs like removing things that can be "offensive" to at least one player on Earth. First it was the chat, and now, trophies. Pretty soon, they will probably just remove Versus Mode and make everything AI.

Might aswell cancel the game if they keep doing things like this. (obviously i don't want that to happen).

No wonder I can't see my trophies anymore. This is ridiculous. Maybe by saying this one of the devs will ban our accounts because it is 'offensive' to have opinions as well. 

Am I crazy or the position of the buttons "reset" and "apply" in the trading filters switched places? Not really a big thing but... whats the point? Is there a standard position we are now choosing?

• Upvote 2

I think someone was getting very close to a 999 count on one of the trophies.

Since the tournament rewards could only ever display 3 digits, they decided to remove it altogether to avoid any major bug that could possibly occur, you know one that is very similar to the infamous Y2K bug, i.e. the 1K bug :D

Better safe, than sorry :huh:

I think someone was getting very close to a 999 count on one of the trophies.

Since the tournament rewards could only ever display 3 digits, they decided to remove it altogether to avoid any major bug that could possibly occur, you know one that is very similar to the infamous Y2K bug, i.e. the 1K bug :D

Better safe, than sorry :huh:

Buddy, I don't buy this explanation.  If you have some inside info, I'd be glad to hear it.

I know for a fact, you can have way more than 1,000 of any item (cards, packs, etc.).  I do in my own collection.  Why would a "3 digit" limit be placed on Trophies or other game items?

I just hope they'll own up, rethink, and fix it.

Maybe along with the "trade search" snafu from the last update.  ...another bad decision.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/54324-public-offers-trading-search-is-broken/

Buddy, I don't buy this explanation.  If you have some inside info, I'd be glad to hear it.

I know for a fact, you can have way more than 1,000 of any item (cards, packs, etc.).  I do in my own collection.  Why would a "3 digit" limit be placed on Trophies or other game items?

I just hope they'll own up, rethink, and fix it.

Maybe along with the "trade search" snafu from the last update.  ...another bad decision.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/54324-public-offers-trading-search-is-broken/

No insider information really, I was in a good mood this morning and was trying to find an explanation that would make us laugh about this unfortunate change.

I understand it is upsetting to lose all traces of trophies earned in the past, but personally I would rather want to have this back first "% complete" in my collection statistics. 

See, I thought you were being serious.  Man, I'm sorry.  Hope my grumbling didn't ruin your good mood this morning.

You know I'm not someone who rants or complains often, and supports about 98% of what TPCi does.  I do love this game, IRL and Online.  BUT...

Getting rid of trophies, in the scope of life, seems like a small issue, I know.  But, I just can't seem to grasp why they keep making random decisions that take away, rather than improve the game.  Why take away achievements that some people have put dozens of hours in to earn?

Swapping the Trade buttons in this update? ...so simple, but for no reason, and quite frustrating to break a habit of many months.

Supposedly getting rid of Trainer Kits and promos as "complete sets" in this update.  Again, why??  What about all the stupid money we've put in to have these complete sets.  And yet, my Stats still show Alolan Raichu as the set nearest completion, AND IT IS a complete set (I have all 60 cards).

Like I mentioned a couple posts up (with a link to my earlier thread), that "Trade Search" decision made in the last update really puts a strain on people (who won't be able to find good deals in the game).  Because I have enough cards, I can "tag" things as both Wanted and For Trade, and still find prices.  But the poor players, who don't already have copies of their For Want cards have no idea their searches are wrong or limited.

Why, also in the earlier update (as you've mentioned) did they get rid of "percent complete" stats?  ...rather than improve or fix the problem.  It's asked for by the players, but ignored.

Why can't they take the time to improve the "all-too-limited" Chat options? ...no matter how many players request it.  Again, something major was taken away.  But they didn't bother to make a decent alternative.

Edited by RobRatt

No insider information really, I was in a good mood this morning and was trying to find an explanation that would make us laugh about this unfortunate change.

I understand it is upsetting to lose all traces of trophies earned in the past, but personally I would rather want to have this back first "% complete" in my collection statistics. 

Okay, I just thought the disappearance of  the completion status had something to do with my computer. I still can see the complete sets though but I can't see the percentage anymore. New question, why is this disabled? Did the trolls win again? 

This was intended.  Trophies never did anything.  They led to player confusion about them.  What do they do? Why are they there?  Why can't I get something for them?  There were more plans for them back in the day, but those never came to fruition.  

This is akin to the removal of the % collection complete from the Statistics tab.  It didn't work as people expected (it was bugged), it confused people, so it was removed. 

I totally understand that any change can be unsettling.  I completely understand and hear those who liked their trophy count, even if it didn't do something. 

Our aim is to clean up old stuff that leads to confusion.  Our goals are to be able to implement better features in the future that are meaningful in a number of ways more than a Trophy that didn't do anything besides increment a number.

I hope that helps you understand why we did what we did. 

Thanks in advance for your understanding.  

Okay, I just thought the disappearance of  the completion status had something to do with my computer. I still can see the complete sets though but I can't see the percentage anymore. New question, why is this disabled? Did the trolls win again? 

The overall set completion was removed in version 2.47 because it, like Trophies (as I mention above) was bugged in that it didn't really work, it caused confusion, the plans behind it to make it cool were not something we were going to be able to action on in the near or medium term, so it was removed.

I hope that helps!

This was intended.  Trophies never did anything.  They led to player confusion about them.  What do they do? Why are they there?  Why can't I get something for them?  There were more plans for them back in the day, but those never came to fruition.  

This is akin to the removal of the % collection complete from the Statistics tab.  It didn't work as people expected (it was bugged), it confused people, so it was removed. 

I totally understand that any change can be unsettling.  I completely understand and hear those who liked their trophy count, even if it didn't do something. 

Our aim is to clean up old stuff that leads to confusion.  Our goals are to be able to implement better features in the future that are meaningful in a number of ways more than a Trophy that didn't do anything besides increment a number.

Ok we understand that but why did you guys swapped "apply" and "reset" sides? You guys did the same thing in the past with the coin flip in versus mode you guys swapped "heads" and "tails" sides, i even remember when the "end" button for abilities was the same color of "end turn" and i lost a lot of matches because i thought i was ending an ability but in reality i was just ending my turn and that was very frustrating, if your aim is to clean up old stuff that leads to confusion then i'll tell you this, that is very confusing to me honestly, it leads to undesired misclicks and causes frustration especially when i'm changing the filters and then i finish and i click "reset" thinking that i clicked "apply" it's a pain to do that all over again it's a waste of clicks and time, sorry for sounding kinda hostile but i will leave my suggestion here, never do that again please it breaks the habit for players. It's nothing major like improving the trade system (which should be top priority since this is a trading card game), just don't switch sides of things that requires decisions to make again.

Sorry but i had to let that out of my chest hope you understand.

Edited by EpicShonenGuy
  • Upvote 2

But Alex, what do Trophies (or rewards) do in real life either?  ...same thing, they're a sense of accomplishment.  If I swept your fireplace mantle clean, would you accept this logic?

I don't know what plans there were "back in the day," but why remove them haphazardly?  Even now, with this update, Event History is flawed, because showing "+0" where a trophy once stood is a bad reminder.  Why create a new error?

But really, you couldn't have come up with alternatives that improve the game?  ...maybe take them out of hiding, or even put them back in Gameplay Items?  Would it have been so difficult to make a showcase instead?  Or take a leap, and even improve the rewards system (gym badges, pins, etc.)?

The overall set completion was removed in version 2.47 because it, like Trophies (as I mention above) was bugged in that it didn't really work, it caused confusion, the plans behind it to make it cool were not something we were going to be able to action on in the near or medium term, so it was removed.

This is a very dangerous precedent, and maybe you haven't realized it.  When things don't work as intended, removing them is not the best solution, in business, life, or software.  How about fixing the bugs and problems?

Ok we understand that but why did you guys swapped "apply" and "reset" sides?

<snip>

Sorry but i had to let that out of my chest hope you understand.

^^ This.

There are SO MANY flaws in the Trade system, or improvements that could be made.  And knowing that Dev is fiddling around with elements, and ignoring them, is insult to injury.

If you want to "thank us in advance for our understanding," please don't patronize us, and make improvements.  Fix the problems that exist.  Make it easier to use.  Suggestions, ideas, and broken elements are all over this Forum.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 3

A list of things that serve no purpose / don't do anything (in their current form)

- an animated screen after the match

- excessive animations that play over and over and take away game time ( Dusknoir, Blastoise, etc.)

- the tutorial

- the leader boards

- chat emotes

[…]

Somehow you manage to remove small things that players have grown fond of, while adding unnecessary bling that nobody asked for.

• Upvote 4

Are you saying that the mayority of the community, or at least a considerable part of the community had that problem?

Even if so, cant you solve that putting "reminder of past victories" in the base of the trophie?

Edited by Roy_DM

The way I understand this reply from Alex...

"Trophies never did anything. They led to player confusion about them. What do they do? Why are they there? Why can't I get something for them? There were more plans for them back in the day, but those never came to fruition.

This is akin to the removal of the % collection complete from the Statistics tab. It didn't work as people expected (it was bugged), it confused people, so it was removed"

... is that useless questions were being raised by confused players (maybe tickets submitted too) that had to be answered over and over by the customer service thus unnecessarily wasting their time.

The way I understand this reply from Alex...

... is that useless questions were being raised by confused players (maybe tickets submitted too) that had to be answered over and over by the customer service thus unnecessarily wasting their time.

So, confused players get solutions (even if it means the Game is lacking or altered for the vast majority).

While we get generic "canned responses."  ...Sorry, too bad, so sad.

You're funny. :)

So, confused players get solutions (even if it means the Game is lacking or altered for the vast majority).

While we get generic "canned responses."  ...Sorry, too bad, so sad.

You're funny. :)

I told you earlier, was trying to be funny since this morning :)

What confuses me is that to celebrate Halloween we are given a special challenge awarding broken deck boxes that don't display properly and when we raise the issue the answer we get is "this is a known issue" for quite some time

TPCi_Samhayne, on 02 Nov 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

This was intended. Trophies never did anything. They led to player confusion about them. What do they do? Why are they there? Why can't I get something for them? There were more plans for them back in the day, but those never came to fruition.

This is akin to the removal of the % collection complete from the Statistics tab. It didn't work as people expected (it was bugged), it confused people, so it was removed.

I totally understand that any change can be unsettling. I completely understand and hear those who liked their trophy count, even if it didn't do something.

Our aim is to clean up old stuff that leads to confusion. Our goals are to be able to implement better features in the future that are meaningful in a number of ways more than a Trophy that didn't do anything besides increment a number.

Alex, a question: as a TPCi employee, do you have access to the unreleased avatar items? If you, I suggest putting on one of those leather moto jackets. Extra protection, ya know? :cool:

Hey, man, I've got nothing against change. You won't catch me stagnating process for nostalgia's stake if I can help it. (by which I mean that I put on my liepard outfit and sneak away to do that stuff. :P [censor-evasion sentence]) But you've got to realize that, even if a system is bad, it's usually better than no system. I'm not saying don't fix the trophies, or even don't get rid of them. I'm saying that to do that, you've got to get a better system up and running first. Which, you know, really shouldn't be that hard: an added tab under the level section and a few simple queries would suffice.

So understand that when I make this thread, I don't have the same attachment to trophies that I do to open chat. I'm saying that you can't eliminate the ability to see how many tournaments a person has won. Important information like that, even if it's only relevant to a person's ego, can't just be tossed out the window because it was confusing.

This is getting to be a long post. Snip-snip time, yes? ;) But I would like to say: just have the devs put together the queries, man. I may not be a programming expert, but I know enough to know that it won't be a major job.

And Alex? Have a good day. :)

Edited by SuperStone

My perspective on this?

This was yet another thing that wasn't needed to be fixed or removed, that was removed.

List of things that do need to be fixed or removed:

Felidae_:

- excessive animations that play over and over and take away game time ( Dusknoir, Blastoise, etc.)

- the tutorial

- the leader boards

- chat emotes

My own additions:

The chat (canned or not) as a whole,

The Deck Wizard (110% bad)

The trading system (please don't get any ideas about removing this)

etc.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day.