My decision on "slow play"

Roy_DM

So I started blocking those players that after winning the match keep on playing pokemon and/or draw supporters who knows why because its too annoying. My question is, once they are blocked, is it possible for me to run into them in the ladder or events? BtW: I recommed we all do the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have you considered that the people you've blocked may have been playing extra cards to fulfill their daily challenges (especially the evolution ones)?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Have you considered that the people you've blocked may have been playing extra cards to fulfill their daily challenges (especially the evolution ones)?

If only people "slow play" their opponent just because they have a challenge to complete. Most of the time they want to show the "Power" of their deck or their skill level  :lol:

Edited by iyado166
  • Upvote 2

Yes. And I wait for the other player to finish the match so they get challenges completitions. But some players (more like TOO MANY players) play cards that add no damage, do not evolve, neither change the pokemon type. In that case I block them.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you can be paired against people that you blocked ( social preference settings don't impact match making).

:/ Whats the point of the block option then?

Edited by Roy_DM

Currently, just to stop this: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Used to be chat. No more chat. So just that. (I was going to post five times that many, but the board is more advanced than the game.)

• Upvote 1

You can block them from spamming you with Emotes, as well as blocking them from chatting with you in the lobby.

If you could block players from being matched against you, people would ***** the living **** out of that system ( aside from the obvious point that it would completely destroy any kind of fair match making).

You can block them from spamming you with Emotes, as well as blocking them from chatting with you in the lobby.

Dont you block the emotes with the "mute" option?

We should at least get a warning if we are playing against a blocked player.

Yeah, but muting only works temporarily for the current game, while blocking will prevent players permanently from interacting with you in the chat.

Anyway, the real question is this: With thousands upon thousands of players, how high are your chances to face the same one(s) repeatedly in a given time frame ? I'd say pretty low, unless you are sitting at the top / bottom end of the ELO rankings.

Furthermore, just because said players wasted some time in your match ( be it to troll you, to complete a challenge, or because they simply overlooked the fact that they'd already won), doesn't really mean that he'll do the same in the next one as well. In fact, your next game against said player could be a normal one and you wouldn't even notice that you faced someone you blocked previously.

... With thousands upon thousands of players, how high are your chances to face the same one(s) repeatedly in a given time frame?

Not awful. In a short span, I've run into the same player within a session frequently, sometimes consecutively. There aren't always many people on playing a given format.

There are a number of people I've encountered on consecutive days, including some who are active here, though that tends to be a passing thing, with one or the other player moving up or down, or just changing when they play.

• Upvote 1

Furthermore, just because said players wasted some time in your match ( be it to troll you, to complete a challenge, or because they simply overlooked the fact that they'd already won), doesn't really mean that he'll do the same in the next one as well. 

Thats nonsense. If someone hurts you today, it doesnt mean that will hurt you tomorrow, but wouldn't you rather avoid that person?

This doesn't sound like "slow play"; that's an actual thing that is more relevant to the physical TCG since they don't have in-game timers (normally) to prevent it. ;)

No, I'm not just nitpicking; when it matches a real game term, especially when it is related but not the same as the official definition for the official term, probably a good idea to find a new name for it.  Where I am originally from, we called it "grandstanding", "showboating", and other similar names.  When a player is losing, its usually considered to polite to endure it.  Save us some time if you could just show your opponent your deck/hand/Prizes when the game was over.

As for Challenges, a while ago I suggested that Active Challenges ought to be displayed at the Versus Match-Up screen.  You know, where the major Types in your deck are already being spoiled. XP  This was before we lost the chat as well, so it wasn't about collusion.

Hurt you? By playing some cards unnecessarily? Is it possible that you're overreacting a little?

"Hurt" may be too strong a word, but "annoy", "irritate", and several others come to mind.  It does damage one's enjoyment of the game. It isn't much time, but when a lot of folks do it or do it over and over again, it can really add up.

• Upvote 1

Or maybe you dont get the point.

Maybe you're just too bloody impatient.  They spent a whole 30 seconds extra playing cards they didn't have to.  Perhaps they just didn't do the math to realize they had already won?

Seriously, that last turn isn't really taking that long.  You're acting like it's taking hours, when it's only a matter of seconds.  You can hit that concede button whenever you want. Get over yourself.  :rolleyes:

Maybe you're just too bloody impatient.  They spent a whole 30 seconds extra playing cards they didn't have to.  Perhaps they just didn't do the math to realize they had already won?

Seriously, that last turn isn't really taking that long.  You're acting like it's taking hours, when it's only a matter of seconds.  You can hit that concede button whenever you want. Get over yourself.  :rolleyes:

You do know that among gamers, this is how you pick a fight.

No, not disagreeing with a person - well, that can work too, unfortunately XP - I mean that among a decent chunk of the gaming population, dragging out your win is how you show contempt for your opponent.  Especially in controlled situations, where you can't use less subtle means.  Should a person let it bother them?  Probably not.

The time it costs, though, can really add up.  Let's say it happens only one out of 10 games (on average).  For ease of calculation, let's go with someone who actually averages 10 games per day as well.  One week means I've had 3.5 minutes wasted.  A 30-day month means 15 minutes of my time wasted by people showboating.  Each non-leap year, that's 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 30 seconds wasted.

There's a reason why there is an entire industry around doing things as efficiently as possible. ;)

Edited by Otakutron

I'm guilty of it too.  ;)   But do you ever think we need to get out in the sun more?

We're actually reading, writing, and thinking about whether someone in a virtual online game has wasted 30 seconds of our time.  And whether it's a problem we can solve?  ...as if we're that important?

• Upvote 1

Have you ever considered the possibility that you're wasting your opponent's time by sitting there and making him play when it's obvious he's already won? Maybe you're the inconsiderate one for not conceding like a decent person? Just a thought.

• Upvote 1