TWO solgaleo gx cards in ONE format this is to much! (card leak, review and rating)

ahoodedman

Its about time, we have not gotten any good card leaks up until now (they are comming out in japan in November has promo cards as of right now how we are getting them is unknown), unfortunately one is terrible (it was a lunnla) but the second one seems very promising.

*note this card is an entirely new card just with the same name as the other one

Solgaleo-GX – Metal – HP250
Stage 2 – Evolves from Cosmoem

Ability: Shining Mane
Each of your Pokemon has no Weakness.

[C][C] Turbo Strike: 120 damage. Attach 2 basic Energy from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokemon.

[C][C] Prominence-GX: Heal all damage from each of your Pokemon. (You can only use 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

Our first pokemon that has had 2 gx cards this is defiantly interesting. Now this card is not to good on its own however, it can be lethal when paired with the other solgaleo-gx, speaking of it I better show its text too.

*old solgaleo

Solgaleo GX – Metal – HP250
Stage 2 – Evolves from Cosmoem

Ability: Ultra Road
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch your Active Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon.

[M][M][C] Sunsteel Strike: 230 damage. Discard all Energy from this Pokemon.

[M] Sol Burst GX: Search your deck for up to 5 Energy cards and attach them to your Pokemon. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 3

Weakness to fire might look deadly but lucky its ability stops it altogether and not just for itself but for all of your pokemon; why is this important? well lets look at the numbers

without the ability volcanion ex, turtanator and oh ho all take knock outs with no steam ups

Now volcanion ex needs 4 steam ups, thats 7 energy and 3 bench spots!

turtanator and oh ho need 3 steam ups

Fire decks often use 1 tapu lele and have ether starime or octi on there bench benching 3 or 4 volcanion could cause a bit of a struggle. Also remember that you can use parrel city or sudowoodo to stop them from taking 1 shots at all

the gx attack is slightly underwhelming but in games where you do not need to use Solburst this acts as a cheap full heal

but what is really crazy is its main attack, its rayquaza's attack but deals 90 more damage and it's on a nigh immortal pokemon that leaves you more space in the deck sense you have nebby and cosmoem anyways.

i'll show you why this attack makes solgaleo totally insane

turn 1 you play ultra ball, for Britgette to set up like most decks

turn 2 you rare candy into sun and moon solgaleo and use sol burst gx, remember that it says energy cards so it can grab dce as well; power give 2 energy to yourself, 2 energy to another solgaleo or its pieces then put a dce on a new solgaleo.

turn 3 whatever is in the active is blown up by sun steel strike (choice band can be used on rival solgaleo)

turn 4 you ultra road into the new solgaleo and use turbo strike to bring back 2 energy onto the old sogaleo

turn 5 attach and energy to the recently powered up solgaleo and attack then

then you can just repeat the 3rd, 4th and 5th turns

and if thats not crazy enough remember that the energy go into the discard pile meaning that you can play max potion after you take a hit with NO COST

Oh and did I forgot to mention this knocks out gardevoir in 1 hit, you have a total of 190 hp to them and only take 1 energy

This is so good its almost unfair, metagross is a very similar deck but it had an weakness, was weak to healing cards itself and is not able to use a card like guzma to ko anything on the bench and then take a knock out while powering itself up-again.

This is a direct upgrade the only downside being that you can only run 4 solgaleo gx of any kind maximum but having a 2-2 split is more then effective with rescue stretcher in the format.

I normally do not say this about cards, in fact in the past few years I have only used this word on one card. But this is just to much for me I HATE this card. It is so disgusting to me; as a metagross player now one of my favorite decks in standard is obsolete. I am also a volcanion player this not only removes one of my favorable match ups but is also almost imposable for my self. My "pet deck" passimian mew just gained an unbeatable match up, and just when golisopod was finally defeat able! Now maybe I am just bias because this card single handedly ruins the 3 decks I still could rely on and enjoy in standard. But as much has I hate this card I can't deny that is is most defiantly a 5 star card.

Weavile, tapu koko and espeon may be our only hope to beat this steel monster.

Or perhaps its time for volcanion to make a deal with its arch Nemesis, garbodor

Arceus PLEASE give us a hex manic reprint, I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we do not want a 2 deck format.

Thank you for reading this far, more content coming soon

EDIT- grammar

Edited by ahoodedman
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, at first I was like "great a Garde counter that doesn't autolose to fire and I like Solgaleo anyway" but the more I look at it the more I think it has the potential to create a rather unhealthy environment in Standard where people have to tech in all sorts of crazy devolution/damage spread stuff just to be able to beat this - so basically one either plays Solgaleo, or something like Salazzle/Garbotoxin to counter it.

I really do hope that Standard doesn't get any more staler than it already is at the moment.

Edited by Toklopo

It's obvious that this card would be paired with the other Solgaleo-GX, but because both of its attacks take two Colorless Energy (meaning, a DCE), it can actually be teched into various other decks. Obviously, it's not that easy to splash into anything as a Stage 2, but it offers so many things: an answer to Gardy, a way to recharge your main attackers, and the erasure of your Weaknesses. All three of these factors can be enough to break otherwise-bad matchups for certain decks.

Yeah, I think this is a very fearsome card, all things considered. Even if it's not the kinda-sorta-splashable tech I'm expecting it to be, its partnership with the other Solgaleo alone is more than enough to make this card legitimate.

• Upvote 1

It's obvious that this card would be paired with the other Solgaleo-GX, but because both of its attacks take two Colorless Energy (meaning, a DCE), it can actually be teched into various other decks. Obviously, it's not that easy to splash into anything as a Stage 2, but it offers so many things: an answer to Gardy, a way to recharge your main attackers, and the erasure of your Weaknesses. All three of these factors can be enough to break otherwise-bad matchups for certain decks.

Yeah, I think this is a very fearsome card, all things considered. Even if it's not the kinda-sorta-splashable tech I'm expecting it to be, its partnership with the other Solgaleo alone is more than enough to make this card legitimate.

maybe has an tech for decidueye decks, removing weakness is handy and it does easily the most raw damage output for a dce and powering up tapu lele/decidueyes is a nice bonus

i can see gardevoir playing this as will to make mirror matches and steel one much easier or maybe will use more gallade since he can go toe to toe with this guy (and maybe clefairy to deal with the other attackers)

(Power) creepers gotta creep.

I think the only real counter to a new Dual-SolgaleoGX deck (since it will not have elemental weakness) is a greater focus on the traditional anti-EX/GX type decks with single prize attackers trying to simply win the prize trade-off.

Having a single prize attacker OHKO all of Solgaleo 250~HP will be a real challenge though.

(Power) creepers gotta creep.

I think the only real counter to a new Dual-SolgaleoGX deck (since it will not have elemental weakness) is a greater focus on the traditional anti-EX/GX type decks with single prize attackers trying to simply win the prize trade-off.

Having a single prize attacker OHKO all of Solgaleo 250~HP will be a real challenge though.

Which means such decks will have to resort to devolving the Solgaleo (with something like Espeon-EX's Miraculous Shine). There's also the idea of pairing Garbodor (Garbotoxin) with a Fire attacker (probably Salazzle-GX).

Well, now I actually for the briefest of moments, wished we had Item lock back.

Thank Arceus it passed.

To beat this deck... target down Leles?

Removing Cosmog before it evolves is big.

And Garbotoxin hurts this deck (no Ultra Road) but with decks out there playing 4 Field Blower, I'm not sure I'd want to play Garbotoxin.

And yeah, it does seem like a splashable Gard counter for decks that run Candy.

Finally, don't give up on Metagross yet! A 1-0-1 of this card is just what the deck needs! Besides, unlike Solgeleo, it can use Giga Hammer every turn, rather than Sunsteel Strike every other turn.

But, RIP my Aero Force. Again. Why?

With a card that nullifies weakness on all pokemon, this will give Gardy-GX a new tech: DCE to attack opposing Gardies before they get their new Solgaleo-GX out, with no fear of Metal weakness w/ the new Solgaleo-GX. Already a top-tier deck, I wonder: what will happen to prices once Solgaleo-GX is out and people start flocking to Gardy as the BDIF w/ no fear of Metagross-GX ruining that Infinity Force-using deck???

Edited by Jammer87

SolgaleoGX uses: Stadium to fight weakness, MetagrossGX or Rayquaza for energy aceleration, MaxPotion for lasting (+rare candy and draws).
The new SolgaleoGX covers the stadium, the energy aceleration and the max potion. I think game devs know nothing about game balance.

• Upvote 1

SolgaleoGX uses: Stadium to fight weakness, MetagrossGX or Rayquaza for energy aceleration, MaxPotion for lasting (+rare candy and draws).

The new SolgaleoGX covers the stadium, the energy aceleration and the max potion. I think game devs know nothing about game balance.

agreed normally they do a really good job with keeping the game fair but this is just to far.

in japan, they l have xy on so they have cards like hex manic, toad and trev that can effively counter a stage 2 ability deck. But we do not have these cards anymore, there is less then a handful of decks that can even go 50/50 with this steel beast.

I really hope this card does not get realized outside of japan, or at least by then we will get a hex manic reprint

agreed normally they do a really good job with keeping the game fair but this is just to far.

in japan, they l have xy on so they have cards like hex manic, toad and trev that can effively counter a stage 2 ability deck. But we do not have these cards anymore, there is less then a handful of decks that can even go 50/50 with this steel beast.

I really hope this card does not get realized outside of japan, or at least by then we will get a hex manic reprint

The fact that Japan, even in 2017, still has a different “Standard” format than the rest of the world, is quite insane.

Do you think the new Solgaleo GX decks would do a 2-2 split of the old and new one 3 - 1 split?

Edit for overzealous filter

Edited by Doodleboppers