Sign in to follow this  
Xi_of_SCS

Are Pokes ghosts?

Xi_of_SCS

Yamask DEX 51

"Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human."

No wonder the main character's name is Ash. He's putting tormented souls to rest. Pokeballs as the cosmic egg, etc.

SuperStone

There are a lot of weird Dex entries.  I suggest not thinking too hard.  You'll start seeing monsters everywhere. :P

zlude_in

Doubtful that every, or even most, Pokemon are reincarnations.

Only a tiny group have flavor text that point to reincarnation (usually ghost types, no surprise), and it's usually because they held grudges when they died, done evil deeds while alive, or were given pity.

Yanmask and Spiritomb are two that come to mind as being reincarnations of humans. The legendary dogs are reincarnations of the Pokes that perished in the burnt tower.

Otherwise, you have Pokemon that don't fit your theory (Porygon line, Golurk, Grimer/Muk, Clefairy, Deoxys, Sinnoh Creation Trio, Castform etc.) being either artificial, materialized out of thin air, came from space, etc.

Take Banette for example. In Japan, they believe inanimate objects have a soul. This soul isn't that of humans, but of the kami, the essence of the natural world. Banette is a doll brought to life by a grudge but, rather than a grudge of human origin, is the hate from the essence of the raw materials that went into making the doll (such as the fabric, or the straw/cotton stuffing, etc.). The word 'mottainai' sort-of explains the process.

Edited by zlude_in

Xi_of_SCS

I still want to see Pikachu say "I am your father Ash!"

Sign in to follow this