Good Decks for Theme/Standard/Expanded/Legacy. PLEASE HELP A NOOB.

GenericMlKE

Hey all!I've been playing for around a week and I've enjoyed the game but I've been getting bored. I crushed the AI in a few few hours with the 3 stock decks and purchased a Sun & Moon Roaring Heat theme deck and have been grinding it in Versus (as well as using it to complete the 4th star in AI Trainer for free boosters). I enjoy the gameplay from Roaring Heat, getting 8 game win streaks and earning over 2,500 coins with it but its getting tiresome. So I tried a theme deck tournament and got second place, but it was literally just the same as playing Versus with better rewards.So I'm here on forums to ask, what can I do? I know I can purchase another theme deck from the in-game Shop (yes, Hidden Moon is the best) but I'll still be stuck playing the same long (sometimes drawn out) matches against other theme decks. I've had the luck of playing against other old theme decks I couldn't find in the Shop for purchase and I was wondering should I purchase some of those decks from sites like ********** like the Keldo vs Rayquaza decks?

Quote(XY: Battle Arena: Keldeo vs. Rayquaza Online Code. Receive all 120 cards from the two decks, 2 Flipping Coins and 2 Deck Boxes (1 Keldeo and 1 Rayquaza each). Loaded with fantastic Cards and 16 Foil Energy Cards)
Or should I buy different Tins, EX Boxes, or Theme Deck codes from that site? And is there a difference? Will tin code decks match me up in Standard/Expanded/Legacy matches? And will some decks that I purchase the code for not be playable anymore due to new rules and regulations for 2018?And lastly are the two new theme deck bundles worth it? Since I just joined this month I don't have a huge collection and I heard Black & White is pretty dated. So is the 750 coin price justified or should I just go with the 500 coin deck bundles?Thanks so much for the help! I'm trying to get my own deck (more like Dark Integral Gamings' deck) built pretty soon (grass type more specifically).---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------And my luck on todays booster pulls from the XY Series: XY-Fates Collide
  1. Diance EX 72/124
  2. Lucia 78/124
  3. Aerodactyl 76/124

Edited by GenericMlKE

Hey all!

I've been playing for around a week and I've enjoyed the game but I've been getting bored. I crushed the AI in a few few hours with the 3 stock decks and purchased a Sun & Moon Roaring Heat theme deck and have been grinding it in Versus (as well as using it to complete the 4th star in AI Trainer for free boosters). I enjoy the gameplay from Roaring Heat, getting 8 game win streaks and earning over 2,500 coins with it but its getting tiresome. So I tried a theme deck tournament and got second place, but it was literally just the same as playing Versus with better rewards.

So I'm here on forums to ask, what can I do? I know I can purchase another theme deck from the in-game Shop (yes, Hidden Moon is the best) but I'll still be stuck playing the same long (sometimes drawn out) matches against other theme decks. I've had the luck of playing against other old theme decks I couldn't find in the Shop for purchase and I was wondering should I purchase some of those decks from sites like ********** like the Keldo vs Rayquaza decks?

Or should I buy different Tins, EX Boxes, or Theme Deck codes from that site? And is there a difference? Will tin code decks match me up in Standard/Expanded/Legacy matches? And will some decks that I purchase the code for not be playable anymore due to new rules and regulations for 2018?

And lastly are the two new theme deck bundles worth it? Since I just joined this month I don't have a huge collection and I heard Black & White is pretty dated. So is the 750 coin price justified or should I just go with the 500 coin deck bundles?

Thanks so much for the help! I'm trying to get my own deck (more like Dark Integral Gamings' deck) built pretty soon (grass type more specifically).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my luck on todays booster pulls from the XY Series: XY-Fates Collide

• Diance EX 72/124
  • Lucia 78/124
  • Aerodactyl 76/124

Well for standard usually you need to get at least one or two tapu lele, which is kind of expensive.

Greninja Break is a great deck, really powerful and is not as expensive as most decks since it doesn't need Tapu Lele, the deck only needs 3 greninja break, those are the most expensive cards, and you can buy the greninja theme deck for the greninja line, so you get a lot of the cheap cards from there, also there is a promo right now on game store for a few days, selling stardust jirachi in 250 coins, which is a good addition to a greninja deck.

Or you can check for most common competitive decks, to see if you have any of the main cards already, and start trading your packs for the cards you need.

And when you have extra coins and you don't need them at all, you can buy guardian rising packs to try your luck to get a lele, but the odds are very low, so sometimes is just better to get a new theme deck to enjoy something different for a while.

• Upvote 1

You should level up and quit playing theme decks. Start building your own deck and go play on expanded or standard format. I recommend going standard format since gameplay is slower there and everything is still a bit mixed-up since players specially the new ones, are still adapting. I don't think the game will match you to a veteran player with a complete deck yet, so don't worry about being matched into one. Most players you'll be playing against will most probably new players with mixed-up, tapu lele-less deck like yours, so go ahead and get some "real" challenge.

• Upvote 1

You should level up and quit playing theme decks. Start building your own deck and go play on expanded or standard format. I recommend going standard format since gameplay is slower there and everything is still a bit mixed-up since players specially the new ones, are still adapting. I don't think the game will match you to a veteran player with a complete deck yet, so don't worry about being matched into one. Most players you'll be playing against will most probably new players with mixed-up, tapu lele-less deck like yours, so go ahead and get some "real" challenge.

Thank you for that. I'll try to build up a deck. It's just that when you just join TCGO there's not a lot of cards that they provide for you to make a deck. Or of they do have appropriate and useful cards it's only just 1 or 2 out of the 4 you actually need for your deck.

Well for standard usually you need to get at least one or two tapu lele, which is kind of expensive.

Greninja Break is a great deck, really powerful and is not as expensive as most decks since it doesn't need Tapu Lele, the deck only needs 3 greninja break, those are the most expensive cards, and you can buy the greninja theme deck for the greninja line, so you get a lot of the cheap cards from there, also there is a promo right now on game store for a few days, selling stardust jirachi in 250 coins, which is a good addition to a greninja deck.

Or you can check for most common competitive decks, to see if you have any of the main cards already, and start trading your packs for the cards you need.

And when you have extra coins and you don't need them at all, you can buy guardian rising packs to try your luck to get a lele, but the odds are very low, so sometimes is just better to get a new theme deck to enjoy something different for a while.

I'll guess my first build will be a Greninja. Thank you.

But my question in my original was also should I buy online codes for any other decks that we can't purchase for coins in game? I am particularly looking at the Keldo vs Rayquaza 120 card deck from XY Battle Arena.

But my question in my original was also should I buy online codes for any other decks that we can't purchase for coins in game? I am particularly looking at the Keldo vs Rayquaza 120 card deck from XY Battle Arena.

Well I think in the past people used to buy Keldo vs Rayquaza because it gave you many staple cards, (Vs Seeker, Lysandre, Sycamore, N, Float Stone) also it has Karen support card, but some of those staples are no longer standard since September. so you can't use them on standard, (Vs seeker, Lysandre, dive ball, rough seas)

So I'm not sure if you are better buying packs or it is still better to buy Keldo vs Rayquaza.

Also in October 4th I think there are going to be some new boxes from shining legends, and they may be better.

My first deck was a greninja break, and i only had like 2 greninja breaks, so the deck was very uncomplete and very messy but even so, it got me so many wins, and eventually i got the cards i was missing and it was just great, i still love that deck, i still prefer playing greninja than playing with my gardevoir, but i like to switch decks from time to time, to avoid playing always with the same one.

Edited by deropa1984
  • Upvote 1

I don't think buying codes would be wise, since you can actually get everything you need for free. If there's on game that truly No-Pay-to-Win, this must be it. Okay, I will give you a gameplan.:

1. Play tournaments via theme deck format. Do not open the prizes you get from them. Even the Uncommon chest. Evey pack counts. Collect about 20 packs.

2. Use the trade to browse for cards to plan for a deck you want to build that fits your budget. The deck doesn't have to be meta. Just something that you think you'll have fun playing with.

3. Use it do battles on standard or expanded format. The purpose is, to learn what play playstyles you want to play and discover new strategies and decks from the opponents you face while collecting cards and boosters. This will plan your future decks.

Decks don't need to be expensive to be competitive. Some examples of cheap but powerful decks you can buid is:

Standard: Sylveon GX deck, Heracross Guts deck. Both are really annoying to face against.

Typlosion deck

Expanded: Vespequenn deck and the notorious Night March. Both you can build with less than 20 boosters.

Edited by Ishobi
  • Upvote 2

I don't think buying codes would be wise, since you can actually get everything you need for free. If there's on game that truly No-Pay-to-Win, this must be it. Okay, I will give you a gameplan.:

1. Play tournaments via theme deck format. Do not open the prizes you get from them. Even the Uncommon chest. Evey pack counts. Collect about 20 packs.

2. Use the trade to browse for cards to plan for a deck you want to build that fits your budget. The deck doesn't have to be meta. Just something that you think you'll have fun playing with.

3. Use it do battles on standard or expanded format. The purpose is, to learn what play playstyles you want to play and discover new strategies and decks from the opponents you face while collecting cards and boosters. This will plan your future decks.

Decks don't need to be expensive to be competitive. Some examples of cheap but powerful decks you can buid is:

Standard: Sylveon GX deck, Heracross Guts deck. Both are really annoying to face against.

Typlosion deck

Expanded: Vespequenn deck and the notorious Night March. Both you can build with less than 20 boosters.

This is true, this game is very rewarding, although if you don't really mind spending some money, that will just make things faster.

Also if you really want to try greninja break, i recommend you to check Yellowswellow No lele budget greninja deck. His build is quite good.

And as Ishobi stated, you can start with something even cheaper while you build up the one you want.

Well I think in the past people used to buy Keldo vs Rayquaza because it gave you many staple cards, (Vs Seeker, Lysandre, Sycamore, N, Float Stone) also it has Karen support card, but some of those staples are no longer standard since September. so you can't use them on standard, (Vs seeker, Lysandre, dive ball, rough seas)

So I'm not sure if you are better buying packs or it is still better to buy Keldo vs Rayquaza.

Also in October 4th I think there are going to be some new boxes from shining legends, and they may be better.

My first deck was a greninja break, and i only had like 2 greninja breaks, so the deck was very uncomplete and very messy but even so, it got me so many wins, and eventually i got the cards i was missing and it was just great, i still love that deck, i still prefer playing greninja than playing with my gardevoir, but i like to switch decks from time to time, to avoid playing always with the same one.

Ah I see. That's a bummer they keep changing the rules, guess that's how they will keep making their money :/

But how are those two 'new' decks for 750 coins -- the Black & White Series Shadows or Raiders Theme Decks?

Typlosion deck

I just want to make a few purchases to quicken my progress in game to become more competitive (more so just troll other players with Hilarious decks like the Heracross which I've seen from Dark Intergral Gaming on *******.)

So what's the difference between standard and expanded?

Ah I see. That's a bummer they keep changing the rules, guess that's how they will keep making their money :/

But how are those two 'new' decks for 750 coins -- the Black & White Series Shadows or Raiders Theme Decks?

Its normal, every year there is a rotation where the older expansions are cast out from standard, but that's good, i like the game much better since the rotation.

and the 750 coin decks, they are decks from older expansions, from time to time, they sell Some of the old decks during 1 week, and then they remove them from the store, so people love to collect them, to have them all.

They are old but that doesn't mean they are bad, they in fact have some nice cards, but since they are old, most cards cant be used on standard, but they can be used on theme deck matches

• Upvote 1

I just want to make a few purchases to quicken my progress in game to become more competitive (more so just troll other players with Hilarious decks like the Heracross which I've seen from Dark Intergral Gaming on *******.)

So what's the difference between standard and expanded?

standard includes just the newer sets from the game since BREAKthrough and any expansions released after, but since it only include the newer ones, there is a lot less cards, so the balance is different, there are many cards on expanded wich allow players to play different and faster. So if you are an old player and you have many old resources, you may love to play expanded, but if you are new, usually standard is better.

So far i preffer standard gameplay and balance.

Edited by deropa1984

I think all the newbies should buy a hidden moon, that deck is so useful, i made a deck for lunala with 2 dratinis and 2 dragonairs from sun moon, 2 cosmog 2 cosmoem and 2 lunalas, for the fact that if i cant get a cosmoem i put 2 rare candy's and for taking them 3 trainers mail and 3 skyla. Skyla is a very useful card. The decks maim topic was super charging lunala with dragon's wish attack and that was too good, i ad 2 alolan vulpixs to easily find the pokes i need, if you guys want i can give you a full decklist to copy.

• Upvote 1

You can win a lot of games in Standard vs all EX/GX decks by simply starting with an Alolan Vulpix as your active Poke.

For example:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Rayquaza GRI 106
* 2 Zoroark BREAK BKT 92
* 4 Zorua BKT 89
* 3 Zoroark BKT 91
* 4 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 3 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28

##Trainer Cards - 27

* 2 Wally ROS 94
* 2 N DEX 96
* 2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 107
* 1 Fisherman BKT 136
* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 3 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 15

* 3 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 7 Water Energy Energy 3
* 5 Darkness Energy  7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Edited by Xi_of_SCS
  • Upvote 1