chuckboyer2016

My collection to db?

chuckboyer2016

Is there any way to save my entire collection of online pokemon cards that I own to a file to be brought into a spreadsheet for my keeping tabs on trading and my useage?

Thank you,

If there is not, this would be my suggestion. As it would save a whole lot of typing.

• Upvote 1

chuckboyer2016

Ok, so I found nothing on google searches and nothing in the ptcgo forum, so...

What I did was to create a new deck, and then to export that to buffer and paste that to a database file page.

I built 'one' huge deck of each pokemon card I have. 

I guess that's the only way. 

Thanks all.

SandaledOtter

Ok, so I found nothing on google searches and nothing in the ptcgo forum, so...

What I did was to create a new deck, and then to export that to buffer and paste that to a database file page.

I built 'one' huge deck of each pokemon card I have. 

I guess that's the only way. 

Thanks all.

Unfortunately that gets really complex when you have 50 of a card, ranging across various sets and foil variants, some tradelocked and some not.

I'd rather see full db functionality within the game integrating collection, deck creation, and trading into a single interface, but exporting the full details of your collection would be my second choice.

chuckboyer2016

I fully agree SandaledOtter...

Yeah, I dont' mean that I drag x5 or x15 of one card into the deck, just the one copy for a name placeholder in the db, then I go through my db and update it with 'number of copies' afterwards, comparing from the online list. 

But yeah, what's the difficulty I wonder in adding one choice button to 'export' 'My Collection' as they do for a deck you build? 

Wish it were so.

Mod_Elderberry

Thank you for your suggestion. I have submitted it to the developers for review.

OrigBitmancer

Sorry to necro this topic.

I would use this feature. CSV format is acceptable.

I would also like the ability to export the list of trades wanted and offered. CSV format is acceptable.

SuperStone

In the past, when this has been discussed, people have brought up the possibility that this could make it easy to edit your collection in the actual game, 'gifting' yourself with a massive binder.  I have no idea if this is actually a potential problem, but it's something worth considering.

SandaledOtter

In the past, when this has been discussed, people have brought up the possibility that this could make it easy to edit your collection in the actual game, 'gifting' yourself with a massive binder.  I have no idea if this is actually a potential problem, but it's something worth considering.

Your collection is stored on a server, not on your system. There's no way this can happen with this data. If someone had the ability to hack the server and edit their collection, lacking a list of cards they owned would not be a big hindrance.

For whatever reason, putting large amounts of data from the game into a database is forbidden, though, IIRC.

OrigBitmancer

I do not agree that server security is relevant here. If nobody outside the server can update the dB, it is reasonable. Pulling data from the database is done all the time without invasion. How do you get online bank transactions? This is nothing different. It has been solved.

I was talking a small number of table entries, under a couple hundred. So tell me again why not?

SandaledOtter

I was talking a small number of table entries, under a couple hundred. So tell me again why not?

Because implementing it would take effort.

I've tried several times to construct a db of all cards in PTCGO that would include all the foil/other variants, with the intent of then entering my card counts so I could better see what I have and what I need, but I can't stick with it long enough to even get a clean list of all the cards before adding in the variants. Having a new set come out every 3 months wipes out progress as I try to make new cards fit in and don't even have the old ones ready.

Yeah, they could do it so much more  easily than that, since they've already got every bit of that data in the game, but they seem to have very little time to spare for things that aren't essential to keeping the game running.

• Upvote 1

settlers25

If yoy try to collect all cards: Start with HGSS serie, then Black and White and so one...

There exist programs to manage Pokemon Cards Collection. Will it not be more easy to them?

OrigBitmancer

Because implementing it would take effort.

But the code/algorithm should be available because it is mature in a different use case?

For your own effort, what is being used at sites like large vendors of cards? Follow up with a spreadsheet!

My need was to pull results out of the PTCGO environment, not general PTCG. If you have the email for the developers, please pm me.

Edited by OrigBitmancer

SandaledOtter

But the code/algorithm should be available because it is mature in a different use case?

I didn't say it would take much effort. It would be new interface elements. That's far more than doing something like telling a box to use the the correct pre-existing model when displaying on the play mat in game, and they haven't done that in... it may have been a year, I'm not sure.

Well, unless they did do it in the recent update. I stopped using that box.

• Upvote 1

OrigBitmancer

Let us move this to messaging? Or do you not wish to figure out new i/f elements?