Sign in to follow this  
Championrocks

Pokemon Evolutions TCG

Championrocks

I would love to discuss Pokemon Evolutions. I love how Game Freak went back to the old style of Pokemon cards. Those were always my favorite style of cards to play with. I grew up in the early 2000's but always played with the older cards. What's everybody's favorite card/cards to use in tournaments or general game-play?

ahoodedman

sadly unlike base set witch was easily one of the best sets of all time (playability wise) evolutions was pretty bad in terms of playability.

Only a few of its cards saw any competitive play

For a time Pigedeot ex was played a little, but later in the format people stopped using it entirely.

Raticade saw a little bit of success with houndoom ex (1 player got top 8 with it)

for a short time ratta was paired with gardevoir and vespiquen decks as tool removal

Now there were 5 cards that saw competitive play and actually lasted a while

Mewtwo was used as a splashable M mewtwo counter now its still being used as a splashable espieon gx counter

Electrode was paired with raikou becoming a really good deck in the yvetal garb era

dragonite ex was paired with M gardevoir and M rayquaza decks as a way to recycle shaymins and hoopas while taking a bench space and being hoopa searchable

Starime saw play a little later on with greninja and volcanion decks and it saw a bunch of success

brocks grit was played as a way to recover lots of pokemon in M gardevoir, M rayquaza and raikou decks as well as a way to recover lots of energy in vikabulu decks

But when you think about the fact that evolutions had only 5 playable cards and 3 sightly playable cards, it was pretty bad.

Heading into the primal clash onwards format, Brock is almost unplayable with the loss of vs seeker. M ray is gone and M gardevoir is heavy crippled with the loss of shaymin (incase you do not know, hoopa was reprinted as a promo witch is still legal after rotation) so dragonite may see no play anymore. With Gardevoir gx out houndoom has no chance and that was the deck that raticade was actually good in. Ratta is already useless now that we have field blower and will stay useless. Pideot ex already fell out of favor before sun and moon came out that was because that the 1 shot problem was to much at that point and then torus gx proved to be a lot better.

Fianly with the loss of ace trainer electrode loses a lot of power and as of right now raikou has no good match ups all of them have rotated or have fallen out of favor so people may not play the deck anymore.

With only starmie, mewtwo and possibly electrode standing its going to be pretty uncommon to see evolution cards on the playing field.

I am still disappointed to this day of how little of the set was good. I played the classic era and so much of the set saw play including the all powerful big basics hitmonchan and electabuzz witch became one of the most successful decks of all time.

Mod_Alder

I was always a really big fan of the original Blastoise card. :)

SuperStone

It sounds like they're doing something somewhat similar with Shining Legends.

Sign in to follow this