GrewupGeek

If Pokemon Went Pro

GrewupGeek

Hey folks, here is a question, might be personal for some, but jsut gotta ask:  If Pokemon became a professional sport, would you play it professionally?  Like a paying job?  Or just keep playing it for fun?  The reason why I'm asking, is well, with people getting to compete in one of the World Championships, either through the TCG or the Video Games, and being aired around the world, it feels like it is becoming more of a sport.  That, and along with Pokémon Go, where some people seem to be giving up their jobs to become a somewhat real life trainer, well, kind of hard to describe.  So here is another question, if Pokémon went pro, do you believe it would help the franchise, or ruin it?

As for me personally, I think if the franchise went pro, it might become less fun, and might cause it to implode on itself.  Because for me, since Gen I, I always enjoyed playing the games just for fun, and it served as a nice break from real life, even though I got distracted when I played the next version, just to see what happens next.  One thing that would make it depressing, is if they go pro, is dealing with a bunch of pros, especially if they're kids, acting all high and mighty, ruining the fun because they believe one thing makes them better then everybody else, which in turn, would turn ugly real soon, depending on the individual.  In some ways, Pokémon as a way of life in this world, especially as a sport, is something that I hope doesn't happen anytime soon.

Well, that's about it.  Not sure what kind of response I'll be getting, but please, keep them as clean as possible.

Mod_Alder

In my opinion it would depend on what going pro means. Many video game sports are still in a fairly fledgling state. Most pro gamers make money off of sponsorship's, streaming, or directly from prize winnings in tournaments. As far as I know there are very few gaming "teams" that can actually afford to pay people like football or basketball teams. If teams could be formed where the players actually have to play the game as a job, that would be really interesting. Its honestly kind of hard to imagine. But I would imagine that if Pokemon were to start having cash prize tournaments then you would see some people who take the game very seriously get involved and try to win the tournaments. I think this is already the case. So I doubt it would change the overall feel of the game. Some could argue that if Pokemon raised the stakes and started holding high cash prize tournaments that more people could become interested in the game, but who knows honestly. Just some random thoughts on my part. 

GrewupGeek

Yeah, should have worded it better, but when I say pro, I mean either like Baseball or Football, or even say, Chess, or, the best anime to compare it to, would be Beyblade.  Basically, where, by some chance, Pokemon gets so big, that it becomes kind of a like a sport, or be up for debate like chess, that the Pokémon Company decides to make it where a lot of fans can actually make a living off of it by playing either the video games, cards or both.  That, and to where, if teams are formed, corporations start getting involved.  That's what I meant by pro.

Mod_Alder

Interesting concept. I personally think it would be pretty cool if that somehow happened, but a lot of people would have to either watch Pokemon battles on TV and internet, or be willing to buy tickets to go watch Pokemon battles in stadiums, in order for it to be profitable to be a profession Pokemon wrangler. Just throwing this out there into the universe it would be awesome if we could get some holographic technology so we could have real life full size Pokemon battles.

SuperStone

Interesting concept. I personally think it would be pretty cool if that somehow happened, but a lot of people would have to either watch Pokemon battles on TV and internet, or be willing to buy tickets to go watch Pokemon battles in stadiums, in order for it to be profitable to be a profession Pokemon wrangler. Just throwing this out there into the universe it would be awesome if we could get some holographic technology so we could have real life full size Pokemon battles.

​YES!!!!   Let's DO it!  It's time for Po-ke-mon!: GX.

​What I wouldn't give to have a duel-style pokemon battle...

GrewupGeek

Just throwing this out there into the universe it would be awesome if we could get some holographic technology so we could have real life full size Pokemon battles.

Holograms, you mean like in Yugioh, where the field light's up?  Or say, players start to wear duel disks on their arms?

SuperStone

Holograms, you mean like in Yugioh, where the field light's up?  Or say, players start to wear duel disks on their arms?

That was my though in the previous post.  I realize now that that wasn't really obvious. :P

Mod_Alder

I would pay to watch full scale holographic pokemon battles :) Even if it did look like Yugioh.

GrewupGeek

Are you by any chance thinking about the Superbowl commercial that Pokemon made last year?  The one showing the kids striving to becoming better then ever, and ending in a stadium, where the kids have CGI Pokémon on the field, like Gyarados flying around?