Is it just me or...?

tinykitkat

Is it just me or does everyone get matched against a deck that is YOUR weakness around 50% of matchmade games? I switch decks, and it continues to happen. It's like they purposefully try to make it harder for me to win, with no extra rewards.

I've been playing this game for years and this seems to be happening more and more often. I'm wondering, is it because I have so much experience that they ARE doing this on purpose? I can't find a link that tells me how they actually set up "random" matches.

Matchmaking doesn't take into account the contents of the deck.  You're just not being very lucky and/or playing against the common meta?

Matchmaking doesn't take into account the contents of the deck.  You're just not being very lucky and/or playing against the common meta?

Are you sure about that?

It's something i wanted to bring into your attention but i kept stalling it for various reasons.

Could you maybe explain us what kind of elements is PTCGO's matchmaking system taking into account?

Sounds like a flaw in your deck building. Do you use more than 1 type? I generally use 2 different types, then sprinkle in some normal tyoes. By doing this you account for encountering a deck featuring one of your weaknesses.

Also note that not all Pokemon of a given type have the same weakness.

The point is it's not hard to build a deck that won't be undone by a single weakness.

Are you sure about that?

It's something i wanted to bring into your attention but i kept stalling it for various reasons.

Could you maybe explain us what kind of elements is PTCGO's matchmaking system taking into account?

In an attempt to explain this ptcgo like most competitive games now a days uses either the Elo system outright or a modified version of this system. The game maintains a hidden rating for you and tries its best to match you with someone of a similar rating. There is a formula that determines how many points you gain or lose based on the difference in points between both players.

It would be no small feat to program in a way to match you in a way other than your hidden ratting which is usually called mmr for match making rating. It would be even more amazing to program that in and a dev not know about it.

Just think of the normal way is just searching for similar numbers and matching you up adding typing and weakness into that would be a lot of work and testing to get right along with tweaking to make it unnoticeable.

In an attempt to explain this ptcgo like most competitive games now a days uses either the Elo system outright or a modified version of this system. The game maintains a hidden rating for you and tries its best to match you with someone of a similar rating. There is a formula that determines how many points you gain or lose based on the difference in points between both players.

It would be no small feat to program in a way to match you in a way other than your hidden ratting which is usually called mmr for match making rating. It would be even more amazing to program that in and a dev not know about it.

Just think of the normal way is just searching for similar numbers and matching you up adding typing and weakness into that would be a lot of work and testing to get right along with tweaking to make it unnoticeable.

Every player has an ELO or every deck?

Or both?

I know what  you mean tinykitkat. I feel the same way sometimes. Unfortunately I don't know how matchmaking works but i do sometimes feel like i'm matched up against my weakness. Even when I change decks I get put up against my weakness quite often

Archived