Basic color decks free in open beta (blue/red/green/yellow)

chester_malone

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what sort of deck would be the best you could make with only the 4 basic decks available for free in the open beta. I don't need an exact card list per say but just some general ideas to get me started would be nice, im bad at deck building.

And once again, I'm very bad at deck building, this is what I came up with just messing around, clearly it isn't good by any standard but I would like to be able to understand what it is that I do wrong in the process so if anyone has any input I would appreciate it, thank you.

Pokémon - 25

3-2-1 Butterfree

2-1-1 Meganium

2-1 Arcanine

3-1-1 Ampharos

2-1-1 Togekiss

1-1-1 Torterra

Trainers - 13

2 Dual Ball

2 Full Heal

2 Poké Ball

2 Potion

2 Bill

2 Fisherman

2 Elm

Energy - 22

8 Grass

7 Fire

7 Lightning

I guess what I was trying to do with this build or what I thought was going to happen would be that Butterfree, Meganium, and Togekiss would give me some sustainability; Mareep, Ampharos, Togetic, and trainers would get me the cards I need; and Arcanine and Toreterra would be cheap, easy, decent damage dealers. Probably the biggest problem would be that I tried to do too much with one deck?

I don't recommend Bill when there is Prof Oak and Copycat.

I don't recommend Poke Ball either, just go 4 Prof Elm Training Method. I think Dual Better is better than Poke Ball since the chances of it working are higher. (but I could be wrong about Poke Ball, maybe I should start using it seeing as I like to run Oak and Copycat)

My trainers are like:

4 Potion

2 Switch

x Dual Ball (currently 0, I don't think I will be using this anymore because it's common to get flooded with basic Pokemon and you don't really need them as much as evolutions for the ones you have out)

-

4 Prof Elm Training Method

2 Prof Oak New Theory

x Copycat (always at least 2)

My current list has no Lv 2 Pokemon... thinking about giving them another try it because maybe Ampharos (lv 2 Mareep) and Typhlosion can deal sheer damage to the likes of thosee 120/130 HP basic pokemon people always use online.

But Lv2 somehow seem to generate consistency issues. (e.g. get stuck with Lv2 in hand but no Lv1, or you use Elm to get Lv1 but now have no way to get Lv2)

And once again, I'm very bad at deck building, this is what I came up with just messing around, clearly it isn't good by any standard but I would like to be able to understand what it is that I do wrong in the process so if anyone has any input I would appreciate it, thank you.

Pokémon - 25

3-2-1 Butterfree

2-1-1 Meganium

2-1 Arcanine

3-1-1 Ampharos

2-1-1 Togekiss

1-1-1 Torterra

Trainers - 13

2 Dual Ball

2 Full Heal

2 Poké Ball

2 Potion

2 Bill

2 Fisherman

2 Elm

Energy - 22

8 Grass

7 Fire

7 Lightning

I guess what I was trying to do with this build or what I thought was going to happen would be that Butterfree, Meganium, and Togekiss would give me some sustainability; Mareep, Ampharos, Togetic, and trainers would get me the cards I need; and Arcanine and Toreterra would be cheap, easy, decent damage dealers. Probably the biggest problem would be that I tried to do too much with one deck?

Ok, lots to work on here;

First, 3 typed decks are not very recommended, because they cause you to get stuck with useless energy alot. Not only that, but the only Pokemon you have that uses the fire energies is Arcanine, and the only one with lightining is Ampharos. That's not a lot of reason to keep using 3 types here.

I suggest ridding of Arcanine, as, while it does deal good damage, Growlithe isn't as strong or useful as Ampharos' prevolutions, and Ampharos is a very good tech to have on the basic decks.

Second, if you do still want to keep these 3 types, your energy spread is also wrong for them;

You have 8 grass energies for 3 stage 2 evolution lines but 7 of each for the other lines, you should put more grass and less fire, since you only need 2 fire on Arcanine and 1 on Growlithe, if I remember correctly, also lightining could do with much less thanks to Mareep's and Ampharos' attacks. A 12 grass, 5 fire, 5 lightening build would probably be better for the same amount of total energy.

Third, your evolution line planning is very bad, 2-1-1, 3-1-1, is not a good line to use. Think that's it's enough for either the evolutions to make it to the prizes, and you can't complete it anymore. Not to mention that sometimes you'll have to do sacrifices, in which case, you still want to make sure that you can keep your evolution intact using backups. A good idea is to go 3-2-1, 3-2-2 or even 2-2-1 if you really want to, but never have stage 1 below 2.

Fourth, your trainer build isn't very good;

Full Heal - Full Heals are good cards, yes, not always worth their spot in the deck though, but that's up to you. However, I do suggest going with Switch instead, unless you really do not want to have to switch out, but I like the double effectivness of this card, for me, it's a must have in every deck.

Bill - Like had been suggested, Oak or Copycat would probably serve better purpose here, Oak is my preferred choice here.

Balls - Both Pokeballs and Dual Balls aren't really good, and they're usually wasted cards, if you really want that little gamble, put either one of them, a max of 2 in total in any combination of these 2 cards, but don't do more than that, as they just become a waste of card space, it's better to put more Elms and Oaks into your deck in place of these.

Fishermen - This is indeed a good card, but in your specific deck I don't really see the use for them, since you don't have any discard effects at all, the only way for cards to end up in the discard pile would be by retreating/being knocked out, which makes this card very bad for early game use. And even then, your deck would always have plenty more than your discard pile. I think you'd do more wisely with 2 Interviewers rather than Fishermen.

Putting this all together;

Pokémon - 24

3-2-1 Butterfree

3-2-2 Ampharos

2-2-1 Togekiss

3-2-1 Torterra

Trainers - 16

2 Dual Ball

2 Switch

3 Potion

3 Oak

1 Copycat