Rank These Supporters For Expanded Format

ShiningBind

So I'm trying to tech out my MegaRay deck: it's build more on supporters than items because of all the item hate running around. I'm trying to get an idea of what to put in my last few slots. Specifically, I'm juggling between some combination of Ghetsis, Karen, Delinquent, and AZ. Hoopa into Jirachi EX basically lets me get whatever supporter I want whenever, so I only need one of whatever I play.

In the context of expanded format, how would you rank those supporters in terms of usefulness?

For general usage, I'd say AZ > Delinquent = Ghetsis > Karen.  The reasons are as follows: AZ allows for dramatic pseudo-healing, reusing coming-into-play Abilities, and getting something out of the Active slot no matter how stuck it is.  Delinquent can deal with an opponent's Stadium while wrecking an opponent's hand, but that isn't always going to work; sometimes you can sacrifice your own Stadium instead, but your opponent may be down to cards they can safely discard, or even want to discard.  A Benched Oranguru or similar card can also allow this to help them out, or effectively break even.  Karen provides mass Pokémon recycling for both players, which can sometimes backfire, and can sometimes cripple a particular deck.

Wait!  Now it is time to consider it for M Rayquaza-EX decks.  We're dealing with XY: Roaring Skies 76/108, 105/108, right?  That shifts it to AZ > Karen > Ghetsis > DelinquentAZ remains a champ, it is just that reusing coming-into-play effects and serving as a retreat aid become more important, even at the same time when a Hoopa-EX or Dragonite-EX (XY: Evolutions 72/108, 106/108)* get stranded up front.  Karen becomes way more important, as you may have to mass recycle a wounded Bench, but even then I'm not 100% sold; that you need to avoid too many Items means it would probably have to be this or Brock's Grit for those awful times when too many M Rayquaza-EX hit the discard pile early.  Ghetsis is just such handy disruption but with more people trying to mind their Item counts, it might not be the power play it once was.  Delinquent seems counterproductive given how hard you'll be working to keep Sky Field in play.

TL;DR: AZ seems like the most important.

*Hoopa-EX was clearly stated as being in the deck; Dragonite-EX might be an incorrect assumption. ^^'

I would play karen and az if slots are there, with 1 of karen and 2 of AZ should suffice. Since what are vs seekers and shaymins and jirachi EX for ? Another thing, why use jirachi ex when you have a better card such as tapu lele, ofcourse hoopa doesn't get it out, but its less of a mess with tapu lele than jirachi.

I would play karen and az if slots are there, with 1 of karen and 2 of AZ should suffice. Since what are vs seekers and shaymins and jirachi EX for ? Another thing, why use jirachi ex when you have a better card such as tapu lele, ofcourse hoopa doesn't get it out, but its less of a mess with tapu lele than jirachi.

Hoopa ---> Jirachi-EX ---> Skyla or any other supporter I need. Gives me more outs to Trevenant via Lysandre or Hex Maniac. In Mega Rayquaza I never find myself attacking with anything else so Tapu Lele just seems less desirable than the more searchable Jirachi-EX

jirachi usually is a liability with the low hp, but when you're probably benching 4 or so 110 hp shaymins anyways, i doubt it really hurts to drop a jirachi as well

lele's attack isn't really missed either when considering that m-ray has one of the most powerful attacks in the game

however, pulling it out with the hoopa is quite useful as you don't have to dedicate another ultraball to it, so i actually think it could be beneficial here. That and budget reasons.

Also, skyfield when removed allows you to remove up to 3 pokemon from your bench, and sudowoodo may allow you to remove upto 4. This may cause your opponent to reconsider their strategies

Archived