Trying to make this Gyarados deck a little more consistent

Comicazy

So I saw a few gyarados deck ideas that seemed to do pretty well, and I wanted to make my own. I just need some help making it more consistent. When everything comes together, it works great. I've hit for as high as 270 damage with this configuration.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 4 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 4 Magikarp EVO 33
* 3 Gyarados AOR 21

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 2 Energy Loto GRI 122
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Teammates PRC 141
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 4 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
* 3 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 2 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Multi Switch GRI 129

##Energy - 8

* 4 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I'm sure many know how this deck works, but for those that don't, Gyarados' first attack does 30 damage plus an additional 30 damage for every damage counter on your benched magikarp. And it only costs a single DCE.

Some modifications I made over other decks I saw include, Multi Switch, Energy Loto, Alolan Vulpix, rainbow energy, and fighting fury belt. Fighting fury belt gives the magikarp a boost in HP allowing them to handle more damage, and Rainbow energy is two fold. For one, it allows you to put damage on them in case Team Magma's Secret Base isn't out or gets discarded, and two, it helps but extra damage on them to boost gyarados' attack. In theory, If you could get every magikarp up to 60 damage, you could hit for 570 damage. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that gyarados allows you to put two pokemon tools on it, so lets bump that up to 630 if you use two choice bands against an EX or GX. Again, this is if EVERYTHING comes together without a hitch, which I know it never will.

Some additions I've thought of making include: Puzzle of Time, Skyla, Bursting balloon, Float stone, and Poison Barb.

What do you guys think?

I think the Fighting Fury Belt idea is cool and I have never seen it before! Of course I am new, but it is still cool. I wonder if it hurts consistency or if players like Alex Dao might consider it.

I was thinking about taking one or two fury belts out if other cards have a higher priority. With the two special charges, I could only run through the rainbow energies twice, but that would mean they'd have to be discarded(which would most likely mean dead magikarps). So the probable scenario would be one magikarp at 40 damage and two at 30 damage. That still puts the damage output at 240 without choice band, 270 with the addition of one, and 300 with two(only against EX/GX of course, but that's the only times I would need to deal that much).

Yeah the most thing I have problems with is getting gyarados and the magikarp set up(with team magma's secret base in play) consistently and quickly. That's one of the reasons I added Alolan Vulpix. Just not sure if I'm running too many of those as well.

I'm trying to build a similar deck- (but only have 2 TMSB- so that really cuts down on the flow of my deck-so I havent played it all that much.)   So I dont know where all you get locked up or beat.  So this is my first time giving some advice:

I think the FFB w/Rainbow are a double edged sword- as a Field Blower could turn into non-attacked KOs.

Here are the following optional cards- as i think you have too many Vulpixes (Vulpi??):

Articuno (ROS 17)-  Tri-edge for an extra PC is nice- and could catch someone wounded for 140+ bonuses

Regice (AOR 24)- A buffer for -EX

And then with those- you could have an (Aqua Patch or two &  a few Water Energies) that you could charge them up on the bench and not have to take away from your main attack line.

In the past i considered using FFB for the same effect. That's just offering free KOs now that Field Blower is in the format. I think it's preferable to have at least 2 benched damaged Magikarps at 20 each, meaning you attack for 150 without tools. 150 damage is enough to KO 95% of the non GX/EX pokémons. Adding Choice bands you either hit for 180 or 210, being enough for mos EX/Megas/GX. A third Magikarp allows for 60 more damage, which is more than enough for anything. Now with Rescue Stretcher you can retrieve Magikarps in a blink and bench them.

Another thing, i use 2 Octillery lines instead of Vulpix or Lele, which allow me to use Dive Ball + Level Ball instead of Ultra Ball. There's really no need to be discarding stuff.

Using 4 Vulpix with the sole purpose of getting 2 poké for free, knowing your opponent can N you 50% of the time doesn't seem a wise decision. 4 Vulpix means 4 slots occupied. You could have better cards there. Also, 4 FFB for the purpose of increasing damage on Magikarps means you need to worry to go after the FFBs to attach them, and they'll most likely getting discarded with Field Blower. You coud use those 4 slots much more wisely.

I'm trying to say that your build needs to gather too much specific conditions in order to function as you intend it too. Another thing i noticed was your deficient Supporter count. And even worst, you seem to be using Vulpix in order to spare some items due to Garbodor's matchup, but you have a whole lot of items you could avoid to use. Energy Loto, Trainer's Mail, Multi Switch and FFB are good examples. If you forget FFB you automaticaly forget Energy Loto and Multi Switch and Rainbow Energy.

I chose a much simpler path. I opted to use solely Octilerys and Gyarados/Magikarps. Octilery gives me the draw power i need, alongside Teammates, Sycamore and N. Puzzle of Time and Strecher, 4 DCE + Special Charger and maybe 1 Loto, Level Ball instead of UB, cause i don't want to go around discarding cards i might need, and Dive Ball which is enough for Gyarados.

Overall i feel your build super clunky in order to gather the conditions to attack, when plain benched Magikarps ar enough. I think you're overdoing the damage. You can always include 1 Town Map to know where the prized Karps are.

Thanks so much for the input guys. I'm gonna make some changes and see what happens. I'll update with what I come up with and how it does.

Machoke to protect your Bench.

Here's a deck that won Birmingham Regionals recently:

Pokémon - 13
3 Gyarados  XY60
4 Magikarp  XY143
1 Tapu Lele-GX SM2 137
1 Machoke SM2 64
1 Machop SM2 62
1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Octillery BKT 33
1 Remoraid BKT 32
Trainer Cards - 43
4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
1 Lysandre AOR 78
1 N FAC 105
2 Teammates PRC 141
1 Professor Kukui SM1 148
4 Team Magma's Secret Base  32
1 Special Charge STS 105
1 Field Blower SM2 125
1 Town Map BKT 150
1 Float Stone BKT 137
3 Choice Band SM2 121
4 Rescue Stretcher SM2 130
4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
4 Ultra Ball FAC 113
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Level Ball AOR 76
3 Dive Ball PRC 125
3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
Energy - 4
4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
Total Cards - 60
****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Hope it gives you some ideas!

Okay, this setup seems to be doing well so far.

##Pokémon - 12

* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 4 Magikarp EVO 33
* 3 Gyarados AOR 21
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 2 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 44

* 2 Energy Loto GRI 122
* 4 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Wally ROS 94
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Teammates PRC 141
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
* 2 N FAC 105
* 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I do like the idea of adding the machoke line for bench defense, but that means I would probably need one or two float stones incase machop happens to come out first or get lysadre out. If I do that, what 3-4 cards could I pull out?

I think I saw either another gyarados deck, or maybe Drampa GX deck that used Garbotoxin to shut down abilities, and Sudowoodo to limit the opponent's bench. Would either of those be advisable in a deck like this, or would they just slow it down?

Doesn't a Mr. Mime's  Bench Barrier do virtually the same thing?  Machoke would also prevent against abilities (i.e. Feather Arrow)

Basic/Under 90HP for level ball/single retreat cost-  Seems a lot simpler than the alternative.

Mr. Mime GEN 52

Mr. Mime BKT 97

Doesn't a Mr. Mime's  Bench Barrier do virtually the same thing?  Machoke would also prevent against abilities (i.e. Feather Arrow)

Basic/Under 90HP for level ball/single retreat cost-  Seems a lot simpler than the alternative.

Mr. Mime GEN 52

Mr. Mime BKT 97

Machoke also blocks damage counter placement (like Trevenant Break's Silent Fear), while Mr. Mime doesn't.

-

its good however wally is not necessary most of the time you are going to have magickarp on the bench ready to evolve, you also only need 1 copy of teamates and one special charge taking those out will leave you with 4 free spots in your deck

these are some cards I recommend

1 field blower

this can be used to discard tools, the tools you want to discard are volcanion, garbodor and zoruark's float stones, spirit link (before they mega) and fighting fury belt (witch is starting to make a comeback). shutting down float stone will slow down volcanion and zoruark as well as stopping garbodor from blocking octillery, discarding links will slow them down and if a pokemon will survive with 40 or less hp left that has a fury belt then you can use it DURING your turn to knock them out.

You only need 1 copy sense you got puzzle of time

1-1 macoke- as you said it can prevent getting sniped

or

1 mr mime- unlike macoke this does not block damage counters however it is a basic so you can get it up in 1 turn and revive it in 1 turn and only 2 decks place damage counters greninja and decidueye. Decidueye can knock out magickarp turn 1, macoke most of the time is too late, however it does work on greninja. also macoke can get lysandred out making it useless.

tapu koko promo is a card that every deck has (there are few exceptions) and in 2 turn it can knock out 3 magickarp before you get macoke, mr mime can prevent it right away.

1-2 switching cards (I recommend float stone) octillery and tapu lele can easily get lysandred into the active and using a dce to retreat is something you should never do, so a few switching cards can help with this if you ever need them more then once simply use puzzle of time

1 kukui

this card helps you increase your damage even further witch is useful if you cant get all of your magickarp kukui also draws 2 cards witch is just a nice bonus that can sometimes help you out, you only need the 1 kukui sense you can reuse it with vs seeker and puzzle of time

1 town map

this card lets you see your prizes letting you chose witch ones you should take you need this to get magickarp, dce and mamga's base out of there first

1 pokemon catcher I know it sounds a little crazy but let me explain

its a card that the early gryados decks ran, it lets you have a lysandre after you have played your supporter for the turn, making this pair really well with teamates and sycamore and the coin flip is not that bad sense it can easily be reused with puzzle of time to get more chances, with tapu lele being played a lot its really good to be able to lysandre them out for 2 prizes.

Its a one card tech that can be used with puzzle of time to help the prize exchange, do some testing to see if you like it.

Thanks for all the input guys. Giving me a lot to think about for this deck.

I wanted to ask about Wally. The reason I had put it in was for a possible first turn KO. If I choose to go second(or opponent wins the coin flip), If my setup hand is good, I could auto evolve my karp, throw a DCE on it, and start attacking right away. Hopefully with a karp or two on the bench with damage. Also could be good for a turn one evolution of Octillery or Machoke. Plus I've had the occasions where my first hand only gets me one karp and a remoraid, and the karp gets knocked out right away. In this instance it would be nice to be able to bench and evolve in one turn. Is it worth the slots though?

Diciduey decks always anger me when I play them, so I might make the sacrifice for Machoke instead of Mr. Mime.

Thanks again. I'll update when changes are made and how they do.

Thanks for all the input guys. Giving me a lot to think about for this deck.

I wanted to ask about Wally. The reason I had put it in was for a possible first turn KO. If I choose to go second(or opponent wins the coin flip), If my setup hand is good, I could auto evolve my karp, throw a DCE on it, and start attacking right away. Hopefully with a karp or two on the bench with damage. Also could be good for a turn one evolution of Octillery or Machoke. Plus I've had the occasions where my first hand only gets me one karp and a remoraid, and the karp gets knocked out right away. In this instance it would be nice to be able to bench and evolve in one turn. Is it worth the slots though?

Diciduey decks always anger me when I play them, so I might make the sacrifice for Machoke instead of Mr. Mime.

Thanks again. I'll update when changes are made and how they do.

It's a long shot to be able to use Wally T1 successfully on that deck. There are many conditions you'd need to gather and it would be almost impossible, not to mention you couldn't use any supporter that turn to setup besides Wally. You'd need to have Magma Base in play, an active Magikarp, more Magikarps or Balls to get them, DCE and Wally. It's always better to run Wally alongside Battle Compressor and VS Seeker in this cases where you want to use Wally to attack T1, and you can't do it in this deck.

I'd drop Wally. Ahoodedman's advice was very good. My Gyarados build is surely not the best, but it runs pretty well for a stage 1 attcker setup. Using Choice Band cause almost every deck has GX or EX pokés to be Lysandered out, and Octillery to setup, i'm able to reach the numbers very quickly. Rescue Strecher for instant Magikarp revival, Puzzle for anything (including a 5th stadium if needed) and Charger, Dive and Level Ball, Float Stone and only 4 DCE.

Gyarados AT is a pretty cool deck. It can also be paired with Mew EX.

Dropping Wally it is then. Thanks again. Sad to think that this deck probably won't be usable in standard much longer. Just when I was branching away from psychic.

Archived