Quesion about the old Rainbow Energy

realQuade

I was Looking at cycling cards for my fire type deck and there are these two cards that really peaked my interest. These are Fiery Torch and Blacksmith, and they have unique interactions with Fire Type energy. I was wondering if I could use the old Rainbow energy to satisfy these conditions since the energy color of it isn't colorless and it doesn't declare it as being so, but it states that it counts as all colors when in play, making me think that it is colorless outside of play. So I'm wondering whether it is colored or colorless in my deck, hand, or discard pile. 

TLDR; Can the old rainbow energy with the rainbow symbol be used to satisfy energy specific conditions from my hand, deck or discard pile. (Example: Fiery Torch).

I was Looking at cycling cards for my fire type deck and there are these two cards that really peaked my interest. These are Fiery Torch and Blacksmith, and they have unique interactions with Fire Type energy. I was wondering if I could use the old Rainbow energy to satisfy these conditions since the energy color of it isn't colorless and it doesn't declare it as being so, but it states that it counts as all colors when in play, making me think that it is colorless outside of play. So I'm wondering whether it is colored or colorless in my deck, hand, or discard pile. 

TLDR; Can the old rainbow energy with the rainbow symbol be used to satisfy energy specific conditions from my hand, deck or discard pile. (Example: Fiery Torch).

All cards copy the text of their newest counterpart (eg: all Potions heal for 30, all Great Balls look at top 7 etc.), so the answer is no, as Rainbow Energy specifies it only works while attached to a Pokémon.

All cards copy the text of their newest counterpart (eg: all Potions heal for 30, all Great Balls look at top 7 etc.), so the answer is no, as Rainbow Energy specifies it only works while attached to a Pokémon.

This is not always true.  In the case of Potion and Great Ball, an errata was issued to officially change the wording of old copies.  This wasn't done for Rainbow energy, so the version from Team Rocket isn't legal.

But this is irrelevant to OP's question.

Regardless of the version, Rainbow energy only provides typed energy while in play (attached to a Pokemon).  So no, using an old copy with a rainbow symbol doesn't provide any benefit.

Thanks for the replies, but since there are no newer versions of Double Rainbow Energy does that mean that I could satisfy color specific conditions outside of play with that card?

Thanks for the replies, but since there are no newer versions of Double Rainbow Energy does that mean that I could satisfy color specific conditions outside of play with that card?

It still says it provides colored energy "while in play." When it is not in play, it is not a card that provides any color of energy.

Archived