Solgaleo GX/Starmie/Rayquaza deck tipps

Toklopo

Hi guys, I have been playing the online card game for about a month now (I only played the game IRL when I was a kid, and only during GEN 1-2, so you can imagine the all the surprising changes I had to get used to lol) and I have finally won and traded around enough cards to be able to create a more or less functional Standard deck. (And one that I actually enjoy playing, to boot.) Expanded was kinder to me in the beginning, but I found that the opponents were in general tougher in Standard, so my goal was to finally be able to compete in this mode withouth getting completely trashed.

I have been playing with this deck in the past few days, tweaking it here and there during the process based on my experiences, and it has been doing fairly well so far, (not counting terrible matchups, which are basically any fire decks that rely on fast basics, and Volcanion EX is an auto loss for me because of the superior energy acceleration and weakness, but I am ok with that for now) but there are a few cards in the deck I am not sure about and I'd like to ask what you guys think.

Note: I know that Solgaleo GX should be paired with Lurantis GX for a better effect, but I have only one of that card, and the only thing I could offer for it right now is Drampa GX (of which I have two unlocked) but I don't want to give that away because I think it's a really versatile card.

tl;dr here is the deck list

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ************

##Pokémon - 18

1 Oranguru SUM
1 Rayquaza GRI
1 Cobalion STS
1 Solgaleo GRI
2 Solgaleo-GX SUM
1 Genesect-EX FAC
3 Cosmog SUM
3 Cosmoem SUM
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1 Staryu EVO
1 Staryu BKT

2 Starmie EVO

Ok, so it probably looks very stupid that I only have 1 Rayquaza, but when I ran the deck with 2, I often ended up with both of them in my starting hand and nothing else to help me draw. Is that only down to bad RNG? Should I swap the Cobalion for another Rayquaza? To be honest, out of all the mons, Cobalion has been the most situational (which I sometimes like, since I like improvising, but it hurts consistency) so if anyone, then it should be the one to go.
Should I add a third Rayquaza instead of Oranguru? I have to admit that I often found the draw ability of Oranguru useful, but I am thinking that if having 3 Rayquazas increase the consistency then I might not need the extra draw power.

Also, should I include a second GRI Solgaleo instead of Genesect EX? I like being able to hit for a nice amout of damage without having to discard energy - just in case - and being able to snipe the enemy's bench is also good, but GRI Solgaleo can only OHKO 170+ HP  basic EXes/GXes with the help of a Choice Band, (not counting weakness, of course) whereas Genesect is a bit more versatile in that regard, and also has a little bit more bulk, plus it's a basic. As I don't play max elixirs in this deck, both require minimum 3 turns to set up (without Rayquaza of course) so I am not sure.
I think a third Solgaleo GX is not necessary in this deck, but of course I could be wrong.

##Trainer Cards - 30

2 Hala
2 Wally 
4 Ultra Ball
1 Lillie 
3 Rare Candy 
2 Lysandre
3 Professor Sycamore
1 Escape Rope
1 Skyla 
2 N
2 Heavy Ball
2 Choice Band
3 VS Seeker
2 Level Ball

I think I am mostly happy with my trainer list, but if I am not mistaken, VS Seeker will be rotating out in August, so this list will soon need some more tweaking anyway. I will then probably swap the Seekers for Trainer's Mail or something. (If the game still keeps up my attention by then lol) I am not worried about Lysandre leaving Standard, since this deck is going to like the new Guzma due to Solgaleo GX's ability. I think I could add another Escape Rope and probably should add another Choice Band.

##Energy - 12

12 Metal Energy

I think I could go down to 10 (or maybe even less? I'm just a bit worried that too many of them get prized) and thus making room for more trainer cards, but I like the option of being able to discard energy for my Ultra Balls, (esp. against Garbodor, further reducing its chance to damage my metal mons) knowing that I can get them back with Starmie/Rayquaza anyway.

Ok, I think that's all. Thank you for everyone who has read through this wall of text, and thank you for your tipps and thoughts in advance!

It's better to have Double Colorless energies in the deck to power up Rayquaza and Drampa faster; drop 4 Steel energies for those. A heavier line of Solgaleo is better to increase your odds of having it. 4 Cosmog/2 Cosmoem/3 Solgaleo GX/1 baby Solgaleo is ideal. If you max out the Solgaleo line, max out the Rare Candies too.

It's also better to have 2 Rayquaza because in the event that one goes down, you have the other as backup. You just had bad luck there.

I don't see the point of Starmie in the deck when Rayquaza can recover energy on its own with Turbo Storm. Add in Super Rod and/or Brock's Grit for Pokemon and energy recycling, as well as Special Charge if you include the DCEs.

I am a bit careful with DCEs because of the frequent hammers, but Special Charge might help with that, esp. if I can reattach them with Solgaleo GX anyway - I will probably include them and see how it goes.

Brock's grit is definitely a good idea that I did not think of myself, and I was also considering maxing out the Solgaleo line (the only thing preventing me from that right now is that I need 1 more GX - I guess it's time to see if I can trade around for these cards)

About Starmie, yeah, you are probably right, I guess I was just trying to make it useful in a deck that is not Volcanion EX, but I am aware that the inclusion of this line is not the most ideal decision.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Can I link to other sites? Don't report me >.< Solgaleo seems to have topped a few tournaments with a rather cheap list EXCEPT Tapu Lele. You possibly saw these lists already though.

[Removed by Mod_RedDragon]

Something I might consider building, since Solgaleo GX is pretty cheap. Too bad it is still a bit too much for me to start with but maybe one day.

Can I link to other sites? Don't report me >.

Something I might consider building, since Solgaleo GX is pretty cheap. Too bad it is still a bit too much for me to start with but maybe one day.

Hey there MysterQ!

This is a friendly reminder that posting outside links are not allowed on the forums. You can always check out the forum rules by clicking here

Can I link to other sites? Don't report me >.< Solgaleo seems to have topped a few tournaments with a rather cheap list EXCEPT Tapu Lele. You possibly saw these lists already though.

Hi! Thanks for the tip, but since then I already optimised my deck, (and of course scrapped the idea of Starmie  being in it altogether, since that is not viable at all if I'd like to play competitively) and right now I am more or less comfortable with it. I think I have only seen 1 Solgaleo/Rayquaza decklist online, I can't remember exactly what it looked like, but I guess mine can't be all that different from how other people run it.

I actually like playing with this deck a lot, and if Solgaleo GX remains viable after Burning Shadows/rotation (I think it could become even a bit better) I might consider getting into the game IRL and invest into building this deck. The only problem is that Volcanion is still a huge threat and that Burning Shadows will boost other Fire Type decks, so I'd rather wait and test it/tweak it in August/September before actually spending money on it. Currently the cost would be around 200$, (including the shipping cost, as I'd have to order the cards from the US, that way it would actually be a bit cheaper for me) so it is not a decision that I can just make on a whim - and if the price of Tapu Lele further increases later on then I might just not do it at all.

Here's the current list, if anyone's interested: (I managed to trade for a 3rd Solgaleo GX and pulled a 2nd Tapu Lele GX yay!)

Pokémon - 15

1 Oranguru
2 Rayquaza GRI
1 Solgaleo GRI
3 Solgaleo GX
4 Cosmog
2 Cosmoem
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers - 33

1 Hala
2 Rescue Stretcher
4 Ultra Ball 
4 Rare Candy
2 Lysandre
3 Prof Sycamore
1 Brigette
1 Special Charge
2 Skyla 
2 Field Blower
3 N
2 Heavy Ball
3 Choice Band
3 VS Seeker

Energy - 12
3 Double Colorless Energy
9 Metal Energy 

Hey there MysterQ!

This is a friendly reminder that posting outside links are not allowed on the forums. You can always check out the forum rules by clicking here

Thank you for letting me know.

Hi! Thanks for the tip, but since then I already optimised my deck, (and of course scrapped the idea of Starmie  being in it altogether, since that is not viable at all if I'd like to play competitively) and right now I am more or less comfortable with it. I think I have only seen 1 Solgaleo/Rayquaza decklist online, I can't remember exactly what it looked like, but I guess mine can't be all that different from how other people run it.

I actually like playing with this deck a lot, and if Solgaleo GX remains viable after Burning Shadows/rotation (I think it could become even a bit better) I might consider getting into the game IRL and invest into building this deck. The only problem is that Volcanion is still a huge threat and that Burning Shadows will boost other Fire Type decks, so I'd rather wait and test it/tweak it in August/September before actually spending money on it. Currently the cost would be around 200$, (including the shipping cost, as I'd have to order the cards from the US, that way it would actually be a bit cheaper for me) so it is not a decision that I can just make on a whim - and if the price of Tapu Lele further increases later on then I might just not do it at all.

Here's the current list, if anyone's interested: (I managed to trade for a 3rd Solgaleo GX and pulled a 2nd Tapu Lele GX yay!)

Pokémon - 15

1 Oranguru
2 Rayquaza GRI
1 Solgaleo GRI
3 Solgaleo GX
4 Cosmog
2 Cosmoem
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers - 33

1 Hala
2 Rescue Stretcher
4 Ultra Ball