zninja000

Paint roller is a good idea?

zninja000

I want to add a paint roller in one of my decks, because I it says

Discard a stadium card in play, then draw a card.

I think it means discard any stadium card in play, if there is any, then draw a card, whether you discarded a stadium card or not.

But my friend says it mean you have to discard a stadium card in order to draw a card.

But the reason I think not is because there are cards that says:

Do this. If you do, do that as well.

So, who is right?

Edited by zninja000

SharKing319

"Discard a Stadium in play" absolutely requires a Stadium to be in play to begin with, so no, Paint Roller doesn't work without Stadiums.

And because its only real role is to get rid of Stadiums (fat chance of that one drawn card being what you need), Paint Roller finds itself pretty much totally outclassed by Field Blower.

Edited by SharKing319
  • Upvote 2

FlavorfulPineAp

"Discard a Stadium in play" absolutely requires a Stadium to be in play to begin with, so no, Paint Roller doesn't work without Stadiums.

And because its only real role is to get rid of Stadiums (fat chance of that one drawn card being what you need), Paint Roller finds itself pretty much totally outclassed by Field Blower.

Though Field Blower is quite a bit better, does it net you a card for getting rid of stadiums/ tools? I know Paint Roller is an underused card, but that one card can be game changing.

But of course, Field Blower will be played over it.

BowserLuigi

Though Field Blower is quite a bit better, does it net you a card for getting rid of stadiums/ tools? I know Paint Roller is an underused card, but that one card can be game changing.

But of course, Field Blower will be played over it.

Paint Roller is outclassed by...you know...another stadium card

FlavorfulPineAp

Paint Roller is outclassed by...you know...another stadium card

Which is?

ahoodedman

actually its not a bad tech in sableye/garbodor but in any other deck its outclassed by flied blower

BowserLuigi

Which is?

The stadium card of your choice. Your stadium

Edited by BowserLuigi
  • Upvote 1

UselessEX

Which is?

what he meant is instant of using a point roller use a stadium that benefits your deck

Supertimland

I use it. Cantrips are solid in decks that like to dig deep.

Otakutron

I use it. Cantrips are solid in decks that like to dig deep.

Really?  My experience was the opposite; while you do get to draw a card, you have to discard a Stadium first.  No Stadium in play and Paint Roller is dead in hand; have a Stadium you want to keep in play, and it may as well be dead in hand.

Also, don't forget Delinquent for your anti-Stadium needs.  A single copy can be reused via VS Seeker, and though you give up your Supporter for the turn, that just means you shoot for those times when you're trading it for four of your opponent's cards: a Stadium and three from their hand.  Is it the best option?  No, that would be the combination of Field Blower and your own Stadium cards.

SandaledOtter

Really?  My experience was the opposite; while you do get to draw a card, you have to discard a Stadium first.  No Stadium in play and Paint Roller is dead in hand; have a Stadium you want to keep in play, and it may as well be dead in hand.

Also, don't forget Delinquent for your anti-Stadium needs.  A single copy can be reused via VS Seeker, and though you give up your Supporter for the turn, that just means you shoot for those times when you're trading it for four of your opponent's cards: a Stadium and three from their hand.  Is it the best option?  No, that would be the combination of Field Blower and your own Stadium cards.

Dead cards will feed Ultra Ball or other cards that require a discard to use. Build accordingly.

Otakutron

Dead cards will feed Ultra Ball or other cards that require a discard to use. Build accordingly.

...or cause you to stall out.  Cards like Acro Bike and Trainers' Mail work because you can get either what you really need (like a Double Colorless Energy) or get your next source of draw/search, and have no built in cost or restriction on being played.  Acro Bike can hit two cards you don't want to discard or whiff on getting at least one card you want to add to hand.  Trainers' Mail can whiff as well.  Both can always be used, however, barring outside interference.

You can only have so many "dead" cards in a deck and still except it to successfully dig deep.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but my experience was I was better off without Paint Roller in such decks than with it.

MysterQ

To be fair, 

Play Brookside/other once per turn Stadium. Use effect. Paint Roller and draw. Play another Brookside/once per turn stadium.

Allows you to keep going deeper. Maybe not great but it depends on your goal.

• Upvote 1

harshu

To be fair, 

Play Brookside/other once per turn Stadium. Use effect. Paint Roller and draw. Play another Brookside/once per turn stadium.

If we are going to keep paint rollers and discard our own stadiums, than rather than using stadiums, I would increase the amount of the cards I want, and use those 2-4 paint roller slots more usefully to other techs than can be defined as match winning many times.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

MysterQ

If we are going to keep paint rollers and discard our own stadiums, than rather than using stadiums, I would increase the amount of the cards I want, and use those 2-4 paint roller slots more usefully to other techs than can be defined as match winning many times.

If you just want a cheesey quick kill combo/donk for vs, not going for some consistent 2/3 tourney deck.

SuperLuigi231

To be fair, 

You can't play multiple stadiums in one turn. It's not written on the card but apparently it's in the rules somewhere.
  • Upvote 1

MysterQ

You can't play multiple stadiums in one turn. It's not written on the card but apparently it's in the rules somewhere.

Oh didn't know that rule.

SandaledOtter

Oh didn't know that rule.

Because it's in the rulebook, which online players don't get.

Otakutron

Because it's in the rulebook, which online players don't get.

Online players actually have the least excuse for lacking the rulebook. ;)  Players of the physical TCG only get them when they buy certain product (usually Theme Decks).  If you're already online, just head to the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resource page on the official Pokémon site, and one of the links there is to download a .pdf of the Pokémon TCG Rulebook. :)

• Upvote 1

SandaledOtter

Online players actually have the least excuse for lacking the rulebook. ;)  Players of the physical TCG only get them when they buy certain product (usually Theme Decks).  If you're already online, just head to the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resource page on the official Pokémon site, and one of the links there is to download a .pdf of the Pokémon TCG Rulebook. :)

Where's the link to that in the game? Physical players have that resource as well, just as available, plus access to the physical rulebook.

harshu

Where's the link to that in the game? Physical players have that resource as well, just as available, plus access to the physical rulebook.

Physical players pay for what they get. Online players pretty much get everything for free :P

"...In the game."

I don't need a link from here, I can find that.

I was just replying in case someone wanted the link. Above is the reply if you wanted a reply to the discussion of online vs physical players xD

SandaledOtter

Physical players pay for what they get. Online players pretty much get everything for free :P

I was just replying in case someone wanted the link. Above is the reply if you wanted a reply to the discussion of online vs physical players xD

Yeah, I was just saying that we, as online players, need to actually go out in search of a rule that we have no indication actually exists to be searched out. With all the bugs in the game currently, and the way cards are generally explicit about their limitations ("You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack)."), people need to run into this, think it might be a bug, and then have it explained if they don't know it from having had the rules in their hands to read already.

harshu

Yeah, I was just saying that we, as online players, need to actually go out in search of a rule that we have no indication actually exists to be searched out. With all the bugs in the game currently, and the way cards are generally explicit about their limitations ("You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack)."), people need to run into this, think it might be a bug, and then have it explained if they don't know it from having had the rules in their hands to read already.

Yes, I have been trying to suggest the same through many similar feedback threads to include this in the current tutorial and make it more better like a tutorial rather than just practice matches already in the trainer challenge.

Edited by harshu