Fighting Deck, looking for suggestions.

passivedinosaur

Okay, so a few of my college friends got me back into the trading card game, so I decided that trying to make a consistent deck out of some of the newest stuff available. I got 2 copies of the Krookodile deck because I heard it had some nice cards in it. Right now I have a deck with a major concentration on manipulating energies. Here is the build. (note:I have only purchased cards from the black and white sets to avoid getting cards that are likely getting cycled out of organized play soon, and it will probably stay that way)

Krookodile x4

Krokorok x4

Sandile x4

Excadrill x3 (the one that removes energies)

Drilbur x3 (the one with hone claws)

Gigalith x2

Boldore x2

Roggenrola x2

Cheren x2

Bianca x3

Crushing Hammer x2

Energy Switch x2

Switch x3

Pokemon Communication x4

Energy Search x4

Fighting Energy x16

I want to know what people think of it. I was thinking about switching the energy searches for something else since they don't really do much more than just adding 4 more energies in single color decks.

I am also open to suggestions for other colors that might be worth adding in. I think most of the pokemon in the black and white sets that do what I want are fighting, but I'm open to suggestions.

passivedinosaur, it is a good deck idea but you have no potions and if one sandile dies you will have a few useless cards. same with drilbur. other than that it looks good to me.

Don't know if I agree with the above for 2 main reasons if she means what I think she means.. The point of adding 4/4/4 of a card isn't so you can actually play 4 of them. It's to up the chances of getting the evolution as much as possible. If a sandile dies it dies, you still have 3 more.

Since you have so many evolutions why not add some Prof Elm in there. It's basically equal to any evolution card. So if you have a Basic and 2nd stage you auto have the evo to fill it out, if you have a Basic and 1st stage then you have the 2nd. If you have a Basic that only turns into a stage 1 you instantly have that ready.

It's pretty much equal to any card you want the way I see it.

Josiah Fierce, I realize what you are saying but if one sandile dies those two evolution cards will just be taking up space that could be used or something more powerful. I think it would be better if there were 4 sandiles, 3 krokoroks and 2 krookodiles. By the way I like the idea of having Elms in there.

Ya I know what you mean, when I only have 2 of a very important card like a Reuniclus or Serperior I usually add an extra of the evo's. But I say add more mainly for this deck because he's literally only focusing on 3 Pokemon I believe. So his strategy is to get them out quick no? Just saying with that in mind if he's planning that it's best to go with as many as possible and plan ways to get them out quickly.

One of my personal favorite ways to accomplish this is actually Dragonair. If you get your hands on some Double Colorless Energy. Put those in your deck along with a bunch of Dragonair/Dratini (maybe a Dragonite to turn it into something useful afterwards) and your set. Why?

Because Dragonairs ability costs 2 energy and lets you pick any 2 pokemon you want out of your deck. Whether its a basic or an evo. So with a 4/4/4 combo along with Elm and if your lucky and get a Dragonair out early (which is surprisingly easy). You can have many completed evolutions in no time at all while your opponent most likely is still trying to build. Elm also helps get Dragonair itself out quick and once its out unless they have a Pokemon its weak to thats still at least usually 2 turns of free Pokemon, whatever you want. Equal to 4 Professor Elms and if you get it at the start of the match oh psh unless they just have better overall Pokemon and get lucky the match is yours.

Thats my personal strategy. Which can be ungodly annoying to fight with Reuniclus and Serperior (ability version). Because literally in a few turns I can have a way to heal my Pokemon fully, and usually have a Dragonite tanking lol.

Though I also get what you mean, I usually add some extras of an evo line if I only have a couple of the 2nd stages. But usually if I'm putting a certain Pokemon as the focus of the deck I try to build around ways to get it out ASAP.

Josiah has the right Idea. The reason I have copies of all of the evolutions equal to the basics is for consistency, and a higher chance at having them early game. I get what you mean by having a pokemon get KO'd and I just have extra useless cards at that point, but that's what makes pokemon communication useful. it just lets me temporarily throw away one of the useless cards, and get me something I need. I get what you mean, but with how long games last I have never had a moment where I had to worry about not having a sandile left in my deck.

My problem with potions is that when I actually need to heal my pokemon, it's after I've evolved it, and once I actually do find myself needing to heal, my opponent is doing very substantial damage, and healing 30 HP just isn't going to cut it.

The Elms and dragonairs do seem like a good idea, but once again, I am trying to keep the cards in my deck 5th generation so the deck won't get cycled out of organized play any time soon, so I would prefer to add alternatives that were printed in the most recent two sets when able. Great ball would be an okay alternative to elm, it lets me pick one from the top 7 cards (with the number of evos in the deck it is statically very unlikely for there to be nothing to pick from.) and since it is an item, I can also play a supporter, or another copy of great ball if I really need it.

I wouldn't worry about them cycling out anything any time soon. The games still in beta and has yet to even get a mode to play a specific player yet alone an organized form of play or tournament and it will likely be awhile.

Depending on the direction of the game they might not do it all together since the point of the game is to make money and if suddenly a bunch of cards can't be used it's gonna limit what people would buy. Though they might add specific modes of play.

Either way it likely won't be for a long long time lol. But if your using this deck as practice or something for RL I understand lol.

I think the cycling cards out, at least from tournament matches and maybe ranked matches are a thing they will probably end up doing. unless they decide to suddenly stop cycling cards out of the physical game. It wouldn't be a very good financial decision to make the online version different from the real card game version. it would just make people want to play the online game instead of the physical one. (or the other way around since some cards will just always be there and people will be tired of fighting powerful yanmega prime decks.) Just keep it like the physical version. Make certain modes require tournament legal cards, but still let the old cards be playable in other modes or formats. So that the physical game doesn't get any less treatment.

and since I know for a fact they are adding a tournament option, Cycling sets seems pretty likely in my opinion. Though, this is an argument for another thread.

I wouldn't say I'm using the online version strictly to practice my physical deck, but I did take a lot of extra effort to make both my physical deck and my online deck be exactly the same.

4-4-4 is way too much. 4-3-3 is the most you will need, the ideal split is 4-2-4 but thats for a deck with rare candies which are massively expensive.

Your deck has no setup cards, it's just different pokemon, your bench is never going to help you.

You have no low energy attackers or ways to manipulate energy (move it or attatch it)

If you get a low energy draw or your attacker with 3 energy goes down then it takes you too long to get ack in the fight.

4-4-4 is way too much. 4-3-3 is the most you will need, the ideal split is 4-2-4 but thats for a deck with rare candies which are massively expensive.

Your deck has no setup cards, it's just different pokemon, your bench is never going to help you.

You have no low energy attackers or ways to manipulate energy (move it or attatch it)

If you get a low energy draw or your attacker with 3 energy goes down then it takes you too long to get ack in the fight.

1. Well I'll keep that in mind when I need to take something out.

2. Care to recommend some set up cards? I also wanted the focus of this deck to be to remove my opponents energies, but not very many cards can do that from the bench.

3. I know the drilburs, excadrills, krokoroks, and roggenrollas can all attack with just 1 energy, and if you include the attack on gigalith which can attach energies straight from the deck that also only requires 1. I also run 2 energy switches, do you think I should run more? or should I get something else completely?

Well problem with having only one focus of energy loss is there aren't many cards that add to that strategy in a fighting deck that I know of (or in general). I know Krook has that ability when its active and then there's the Hammer item card but both are luck based as well and you can only carry 4 hammers max which you only have 2 and you don't have any way to recycle them I think. If your truly focusing around that you would focus all your cards around that even if your mixing elements. Like Gyarados or anything with Hyper Beam that usually deals 80 damage and removes an energy. Just an example.

I'll give you an example of some of my setup cards. Klinklang in my Steel Deck. It's ability is to move whatever steel energy however I like before I attack. I can use this in many ways just by having this guy on the bench. If my actives about to die I can switch all my metal energy to someone else so no energy loss at all when they die. This works especially well with steel because Special Steel Energy cuts 10 damage for every one you have so if I have 4 Special Steel (which I have cards like Skarmory which the main purpose is to let me search for them immediately) thats 40 less damage someone can deal and I can shift it to whatever cards I want and keep it in play. This setup also allows me to use Max Potions with no downfall at all. There's nothing more satisfying than someone thinking they've got the upper hand about to KO that Metagross you have out then BAM. You shift all the energy off Metagross, heal with a Max Potion then shift them back.

Thats an example of a setup where the bench aids the Pokemon. Many many cards work this way. Another combo I use is Ability Serperior and Reuniclus. Which simply enough once you have both you can shift the damage on your active to all your pokemon equally then Seperior heals all your pokemon by 20 each turn passively therefore healing all your damage.

Problem is I don't know many fighting cards and what they do. I know Donphan Prime's ability works passively but he's a bit hard to get ahold of. You could look through some other elements and either mix and match or grab some colorless. Like Noctowl just having him on the bench gives you an extra draw every turn. But mainly stuff like that.

You need to build your deck around a stratergy, there's always a card that you want to be your first pokemon out, evolved, powered up, at the same time you want to be building your bench to assist you.

What you want to get up - your pokemon

How you're going to do it - your trainers

Energy manipulating fighting i would run

4 tyrogue

4-3-3 gigalith

4-3-3 machamp prime

Tyrogue is your staller whilst you evolve your bench,

you can either bulk up gigalith or "shear" energy onto him if you have too

gigalith plows your oponents down until he is nearly dead then you use machamps "fighting tag" to switch all your energy to machamp.

This gives you options to stall and build, attatch energy quickly, once energy is in play you can keep it in play.

It's a pretty costly deck, babies aren't cheap and machamp prime is an expensive card, given the spec though that you wanted mono fighting based on energy manipulation this is what i would build towards.

First, a single energy deck should never have energy search in it.

Second, this may be a matter of opinion, but I think that Krookodile Ability is a lousy Stage 2 Pokemon. I think it's actually the worst of the 5 Pokemon featured by the BW theme decks. I also think that the Tormeny Krookodile is better.

Third, I agree with SuggsieBaby that everything in here takes too long to get set up.

Have you tried using this deck yet?

@josiah I'll take a look at what there is available. There is a card database for a reason!

@suggsiebaby I meant more of manipulating your opponents energies. I know there probably isn't that much support for it right now, and I'm not sure it will get that much support.

@dalee first, I run energy search because it's a deck thinner, it makes running a 60 card deck like running a 56 card deck. It probably only helps on a miniscule level, but getting cards out of your deck makes your chances of drawing what you need slightly higher.

second, well from personal friends I have definitely heard otherwise. And because I wanted to for sure had consistent cards I bought two of that deck, so now I'm stuck with those cards, I specifically chose that deck because I liked the idea of removing energies. I traded a couple of cards with my friends to get the drilburs and excadrills for it, but otherwise most of the deck came from multiple copies of that starter.

third I have used this deck, multiple times online. The results I've gotten are kind of iffy. Which is why I asked for help :/

The reason energy search is pointless in a single energy deck is because you may as well just include more energy the only difference is the total energy in your deck is higher by including it instead of energy search meaning you have a better chance of getting energy in your draw.

Deck thinning is a bad thing, you should be struggling to fit all the cards you like into your deck.

Ability Krookodile is not that bad. You have a chance of discarding an energy card. But yeah, Torment Krookodile is better. You get to control the game a little by deciding what attacks your opponent can't use and that sets up for Krookodile's second attack which does more damage if the defending pokemon is damaged.

I think you deck could use some powerful basics. Sawk with the attack that does 20 damage on one fighting energy is good. I've won a few matches by drawing that on my first seven cards, putting it as my basic, and my opponent only had a mareep or togepi as his defending with no bench. Throh with Storm Throw is also good. Terrakion could be good for you, you'll just have to play it and see how it works with your deck. And a Tornadus might be good for you if it fits your style, and it gives some color variety to your deck so you won't get stuck against fighting resistance (although Throh with Storm Throw ignores resistance and for Gigalith resistance doesn't mean much anyway).

I guess if you don't have many supporters the deck thinner of energy search might be good, but it's way better to replace energy search with at least Bill, preferably Engineer's Adjustments and Cheren, but also Bianca and Professor Juniper. Professor Oak's New Theory is a great card.

second, well from personal friends I have definitely heard otherwise. And because I wanted to for sure had consistent cards I bought two of that deck, so now I'm stuck with those cards, I specifically chose that deck because I liked the idea of removing energies. I traded a couple of cards with my friends to get the drilburs and excadrills for it, but otherwise most of the deck came from multiple copies of that starter.

third I have used this deck, multiple times online. The results I've gotten are kind of iffy. Which is why I asked for help :/

It could just be me, but all of my decks are modifications/mixtures of BW theme decks (though not doubled), and I think Power Play is the weakest one. (Sorry!) Actually, my favorite card from that deck is Beartic. On the bright side, you surely have an easy time against all those Basic Yellows out there. ;)

I understand what you are saying about using energy search to thin your deck, but wouldn't draw support cards be a better way of increasing your chances of getting what you want (as heracross said)? Also, energy search doesn't help you attach energy when you use Shear.

I also agree that Sawk/Throh might be nice additions (though NOT the annoying ones from EP), for when you need to deal small damage for little energy.

Maybe you could try to replace a couple Black Eyes Krook with Torment Krook, so that you can sometimes choose the one you need in a given situation.

Another piece of advice is that even if you don't want to use HGSS Pokemon, you may as well at least use some of the free HGSS trainers when playing online.

i'd go with Machamp prime

& donphan prime.

it is tyrpical fighting combo.

gigalith nevertheless very good with purely with fighting energies only, your deck.

if u do have machamp krookie & giglaith together in any combination raea candy is good to have.

potions is the only way to heal manily 4 fighting types.

also solrock & lunatone( over sawk & throh) can help provide heal block 4 both players so it wont only be you who cant heal themsleve @ macthes. & lunatone slefdestruct can be quick finisher @ times.

Archived