Sign in to follow this  
IceBeamTogetic

[Game] Versus Mode - Opponent retreated twice during their turn

IceBeamTogetic

I forgot to save the game logs, sorry. I hope I can describe the events of the turn (I did LOOK at the log, and it clearly said the opponent Retreated twice.

I was playing Lapras-GX Waterbox, my opponent was playing Quad Lapras (with one Octillery)

Lapras was my Active Pokemon, it had used Blizzard Burn at the end of my last turn. On the bench, I had Articuno (ancient trait) as well as Manaphy-EX and another Lapras-GX (three energy on it)

My Opponent also had a lapras that had used Blizzard Burn during its last turn. They had Octillery on the bench. Both Lapras-GX and Octillery had Float Stone attached.

Opponent's turn began.

They played Escape Rope, I promoted Articuno (ROS Ancient trait) to the active position with 3 energy on it. They promoted Octillery.

Octillery retreated.

They played Pokemon Ranger.

They played Energy Switch, moving an energy from Octillery to the active Lapras-GX.

My opponent used Abyssal Hand to draw 3(?) more cards.

They played another Escape Rope. I promoted my Lapras-GX, they promoted Octillery. (the logs say '... became [player]'s active pokemon"

Octillery retreated. (this was their second retreat)

They used Blizzard Burn for the KO. I promoted my other Lapras-GX.

I eventually won the game, but I immediately realized after the game ended that I forgot to save the game log. Hopefully this description helps identify the bug (I can't remember if Ranger was before or after the first escape rope, or if Abyssal Hand was before or after the first retreat. I'm sure Energy Switch was played right before Abyssal Hand. I think this is the correct order, though)

thanks!

Summary of edits: Corrected a typographical error and added extra clarification

Edited by IceBeamTogetic

samuraison

Escape rope doesn't count as retreating. It's a card effect. In theory, you can switch as many times as you want by playing switch or escape rope until you run out of escape ropes or switches.

No bug.

Edited by samuraison
  • Downvote 1

SharKing319

^ Someone clearly hasn't read the whole post. Octillery retreated twice with Float Stone after being sent up by Escape Rope both times.

Looking at this, I have to suspect Pokémon Ranger might be behind this. In removing all attack effects on the Pokémon, it seems to also remove the quality of having retreated due to a bug. I'm not saying that's absolutely the case, but it seems somewhat likely to me.

IceBeamTogetic

Escape rope doesn't count as retreating. It's a card effect. In theory, you can switch as many times as you want by playing switch or escape rope until you run out of escape ropes or switches.

No bug.

I don't mean to be rude, samuraison, but I believe you have misread the post.

I'm well aware of card interactions and rulings. Octillery retreated twice without the use of Escape Rope or Switch. If the post wasn't clear on that subject, I apologize.

Mod_Alice

This is rather difficult to investigate without your game log. If it happens again, can you please be sure to grab your game log and submit a support ticket?

samuraison

I don't mean to be rude, samuraison, but I believe you have misread the post.

I'm well aware of card interactions and rulings. Octillery retreated twice without the use of Escape Rope or Switch. If the post wasn't clear on that subject, I apologize.

So I misread it last night hence why I usually don't post late because I forget how to read.

I made a test deck to try and get it to work. This is what I got.

180. It is now samuraison's turn (Turn #18).

181. samuraison drew Water Energy.

182. samuraison played Escape Rope.

183. Cammie's Whiscash retreated.

184. Sableye became Cammie's new Active Pokémon.

185. samuraison's Lapras-GX retreated.

186. Octillery became samuraison's new Active Pokémon.

187. samuraison's Octillery retreated.

188. Lapras-GX became samuraison's new Active Pokémon.

189. samuraison played Pokémon Ranger.

***. samuraison's Lapras-GX retreated.

191. samuraison played Switch.

192. Octillery became samuraison's new Active Pokémon.

193. samuraison's Octillery retreated.

194. samuraison played Switch.

195. Lapras-GX became samuraison's new Active Pokémon.

196. It is now Cammie's turn (Turn #19).

197. Cammie drew a card.

198. Cammie attached a Darkness Energy to Sableye.

199. Cammie drew a card.

200. Cammie's Sableye used its Filch attack.

201. It is now samuraison's turn (Turn #20).

202. samuraison drew Escape Rope.

Game Log Output Ends Here

I used Blizzard Burn the turn before so I could use Pokemon Ranger the next turn.

Only had one (1) Lapras GX, one (1) Shaymin EX, one (1) Octillary, and two (2) Poliwhirl in play. Looks like I retreated Octillary twice though. I tried it one other game without using Pokemon Ranger and it didn't work so it looks like Pokemon Ranger is the culprit.

Edited by samuraison

dMm

Is that a bug? I didn't even know retreating was an effect like that.

Sign in to follow this