Referencing other Works

adminjoe

I noticed that some community members and the occasional mod or two have referenced other cartoons, books, shows, and games, that are not within the Pokémon sphere or the Nintendo family for that matter. I was wondering if such referencing is condoned or whether they're frowned upon/taboo for the purposes of this forum? Just wanted to know the policy for future reference.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think that that would be against the rules. I don't think pokemon is going to try to censor free speech to the point that you can't reference stuff other than pokemon. I could see it being frowned upon if an entire thread is derailed by off-topic discussion about something unrelated, but other than that, I don't see a problem with it. This is a forum after all, it's for discussing what people want to discuss, so limiting possible topics to that degree seems a little extreme.

Hey Joe,

As long as you folllow the Code of Conduct (www.pokemontcg.com/forums/code-of-conduct/topics/official-forum-code-of-conduct) should be all gravy! We just want to make sure this stays family friendly! As always thanks for your support.

ICO

"Listen up, Simon. Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in me, who believes in you!"

Thanks for clarifying, Prof. Ico, but I noticed that this issue seems to be a grey area in the Code of Conduct. It would be nice if there was a more concrete ruling (in print) to refer back to in the future.

Oh goody. Someone asked this for me.

The problem in question lies in the phrase, "You may not engage in any kind of advertising or solicitation for any other website, product, service, or game." From what I've gathered from the OP, what's being asked is "What is accepted as advertising?"

Basically, it's questioning whether harmless links, only intended to tear and share with others, is against the rules or not. Is this to mean we cannot share sites for any personal gain, or does it mean we cannot share sites period?

Of course, this question also asks the same thing for any products, services, or games one has played that he would want to share (and tear) with others. This also covers other Pokemon games.

It's all for the intention of clearing it up so we don't have any accidents, you know?

Hey guys!

I'm glad you are seeking clarification, it's always good to be in the know.

You guys are right on the mark: The focus of the forum is to enjoy conversation with one another and bounce ideas off of your peers. In sharing these thoughts and ideas, outside entities will naturally be referenced. In order to protect ALL of us, there needs to be policy in place, just to make sure we can enjoy ourselves to the maximum extent while being careful simultaenously.

So, as Reviving Fairy touched on, the big rule is not to share sites that constitute personal gain for the user sharing the site. It is easy to identify when a user is discussing a topic with the intent of enjoyment, and no personal gain is involved. We encourage you to share sites as long as they pertain to the conversation or topic at hand. Abuse of this policy would include spamming, posting a link with no text or posting links to inappropriate sites. All such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

I hope this clears things up! Bottom line is: ENJOY THE FORUM! (while being careful at the same time) . :) :)

- Leaf

It certainly does. But for those at home that's haven't found the lines yet, let me clear that up!

There is no rule against sharing links to websites just to share with others. Just so long as it doesn't break any other rule.

This includes keeping this a kid friendly site, with no doors leading to places that you wouldn't want children to go to. I know children can only read the forums, and that probably means they can click links as well. (A mod will have to clear this up sometime.) Course, it's impossible to stop children's curiosity getting into the wrong places when we start placing ways to get lost in the internet, although that doesn't mean links should be forbidden period. It's going to happen anyway if the situation is right, so don't worry about it and share away. Just...don't take that as a reason to cut out the middle man and link to the bad places here. okay?

(I tripped the censorship twice in this post. What the heck?)

Also, might I share a viewpoint? YouTube is not for all ages. It's just, all ages go there. I wouldn't be so quick as to call it appropriate.

Archived