Black and White sets Evaluation

Cut_Vendetta

pokemon-black-and-white-splash.jpg

-

-

-

Okay, so with the upcoming release of the new set, i thought it might be a good idea to evaluate the set, see what looks promising, what fails, etc. If people like what i've done, i'd be happy to make more evaluations for upcoming sets, and if you feel i've missed anything out, please don't hesitate to say, but don't flame, make constructive criticism if something seems wrong. Hopefully this can become a regular article for you to read about the new sets, so fingers crossed you like it. embarassed_smile.png

Link to the set is here

Potentially good cards

So the following cards, are what i've thought to be some good ones, that should see some play in future;

-6-serperior.jpg

Serperior goes 60 for one G and one C, while also allowing energy moving, and a very useful power healing 10 inbetween turns, combo with nidoqueen, you'll be seeing a lot of healing power, and with 130 HP being quite bulky, it could do some serious damage.

Oh, and im pretty sure the ability stacks. So with 4 Serperior's out, that's 40 damage healed from all Pokemon each turn. Not bad.32-samurott.jpg

Samurott initially looks difficult to set up, and 70 for 3 C's isn't brilliant, but if their water, 100 damage suddenly looks a bit better, with Feraliagtr Prime, it's a very lethal combination. Couple this with a ****** Power that reduces 20 damage, and 140 HP, and you're looking at a decent tank deck. If it weren't for LuxChomp being so popular i could see some play for it.

73-mandibuzz.jpg

Mandibuzz is an interesting one i didn't notice initially. A low 90 HP isn't good for a stage one, and Lightning weakness just makes it worse, but what is good, is it's first attack. For only one Dark, you're getting 50 damage in, to potentially any of your opponents pokemon. If it's a special dark, that's and easy 60, knocking out any engine cards out on your opponents bench, such as Uxie's. Good for decks that spread damage around, but otherwise not too impressive. 100 for 3 is admittedly decent, but the use of SP's makes it redundant slightly.

101-professor-juniper.jpg

Oh yeah, Base Set Professor Oak is back! teeth_smile.png

Obviously a useful card, of the few trainers released in the set it's definitely one of the better ones.

99-pokemon-communication.jpg

Now this looks a bit familiar. Bebe's search anyone? The only main difference is that you have to give away a pokemon rather than any card, which is slightly annoying, but on the upside, you can use it as many times as you want in a turn. Now that sounds worth it.thumbs_up.png

Card of the set

The card i believe has the most potential to do well from this set, has to be this:

<br>

</br>

71-zoroark.jpg

Zoroark, a card that was revealed quite a while ago, just seems too good to be true. For one dark, you're getting ANY card out of your deck! And for one DCE, you could be using any of your opponents moves, without need for any other energy. 100 ***** alright for a stage 1, and there isn't too much usage of the fighting type apart from Donphan/Machamp. Psychic resitance helps greatly againest any Gengar decks, and stops Uxie Donk's. A decentish one retreat as well.

Obviously broken, but most decks will probably use this is in some way, to set up quicker, especially after the loss of Claydol.

Then, again, cards have seemed too good before, but when used competitvely, not done well, so only time will tell, but to me it just seems too broken, not to use.

"Interesting" cards from the set

When i say interesting, i mostly mean cards that might look good, but aren't, or have an odd attack, or ability:

12-maractus.jpg

First up, a basic with 90 HP, that could potentially do 60 damage on the first turn!!!

Or 30.

Or 10.

Maybe NOT so good.

The chances of getting the 60? With 3 coin flips, it's 1/8 chance. Not good. The 30 and 10 are Sup-par for a donk really, so as potentially dangerous as it is, 7 out of 8 games, you ain't getting that donk.

-

20-emboar.jpg

High HP? Check.

Unlimited energy plays? Check.

Powerful attack? Check.

So why wasn't this in the decent cards section? Well there's quite a few reasons. Mostly, it's because even with unlimited fire energy being played, you still need 4, and even after obtaining all these, and playing Emboar, it still only does 80. Maybe for 3 this would be fine, and for 2 it would be a must have, but 4? No thanks. The mega high retreat cost only hinders it, and it's weakness to Gyarados makes its high HP useless.

-

5-serperior.jpg

What's this? Another of my favourite Unova Pokemon? Must be my lucky day! regular_smile.png

This Serperior is actually quite similar to the other, a 60 for 2 move, which heals all your grass by 20, basically the same as the power, and a decent quick DCE donk if absolutely necessary, with free retreat always being nice. Still, without the energy moving, and stackable healing, whether it's on the bench or not, it's just not as useful. Sorry ***, but your other was just a bit better. sad_smile.png

-

Seeing as they're practically the same, im doing them together:

114-zekrom.jpg

So, cool artwork aside, are these cards any good? Unfortunately no. Bulky HP for Basics is always good, but their attack's are a bit too costly for what they do. Outrage is only really useful when taking a lot of damage, and if you've taken enough to get a prize back, your opponent will be knocking Reshiram/Zekrom out the next turn probably anyway. Their second, big hitting move looks good on paper, and if you couple Zekrom's attack with Outrage afterwards, it is quite playable, sadly, Reshiram is definitely not, losing two energies after spending that time setting up is a waste, and may not even get the KO anyway.

Zekrom i can see as possibly playable, but not Reshiram really, both have major weaknesses, in Gyarados and DonChamp respectively.

91-bouffalant.jpg

100 HP and 2 energy for 90, on a basic that's not SP? Pretty good, Bouffalant has some good uses, thought not as a deck front runner, i can see it used as a tech for a few decks, that would make it work nicely, a DCE will get a prize back usually should an opponent take one, unfortunately, a rubbish second attack, and high retreat stops it from being as useful as possible.

83-stoutland.jpg

The Lillipup-Herdier-Stoutland line in this set is actually quite decent as a draw engine, Lillipup's collect obviously isn't too useful, but Herdier's Collect draws out 3 cards, the only downside being it's two energy cost. Initially Stoutland's Odor Sleuth looks to be useful, but with the coin flips (And get ready here, im trying to figure probability again... whatchutalkingabout_smile.png), you're only really likely to get 3 cards every two turns, with 140 HP, againest a decent deck, you're only looking to last two turns anyway, so 3 cards is hardly worth it, unless you've lost something absolutely vital. Giga Impact is disappointing too, 90 for 4 is just bad, and the fact you need to recharge after just makes it worse.

Set Disappointments

Some of the cards were just not any good at all really, either through taking too long to set-up, or not doing enough damage, or some other reason. Here i've gone through some of the more diverse one's.

62-sawk.jpg

What with the new rules limiting Machamp donk decks power, could Sawk/Throh be the answer to the fighting need to knock out my basics? Well, not really. For Sawk, it does have a Semi-Decent HP for a basic, and 20 for one, and 40 for two is okay, but you'll rarely get the donk, and once the opponent is set-up, you're left, with a lowish HP fighting type, that can only do 40 for 2 energies. The Psychic weakness just cripples it further. Againest a Luxray, it's doubtful it could do any real damage, so sadly disappointing.

65-krookodile.jpg

Initially, Krookodile looks mildly impressive, a high HP, and Torment potentially stopping your opponent hitting you at all is pretty good. Add the lightning resistance, and you've got a decent Luxray counter. Or so i thought. Torment is easily countered by just retreating, and as it only does 30, you won't be doing any real damage for a while, even with 140 HP. Krookoroll is just embaressing, for 4 energies you're doing 60 with a potential 100. With the use of SP's, the 100 won't come too often, and with the insane energy cost, it's doubtful it will be used much, if at all. 3 retreat just adds insult to injury.

76-klinklang.jpg

Oh Klingklang, you had potential, but you've fallen way too short of that... 140HP is decent for a stage 2, and loaded with Special metals, it could take quite a few hits, but the question is then asked, what will that do?

Its one attack, takes 3 energy to do a possible 160 damage, but the most likely outcome is only 80 a turn, seeing as you're nearly guarenteed one heads a turn, but for three that's still not brilliant. The power is alright, but i can't really think of any decent Steel decks around at the moment, (Please correct me if you know any), apart from Magnezone, which usually has this ability anyway. 3 Retreat doesn't help, although the Psychic resistance is definitely good. With a decent Main attacker, it could be useful, but as its a stage 2 it just seems too much effort to get out.

95-full-heal.jpg

Yeah, i know Full Heal is regularly put in most sets, but i'd just like to say how bad it is. On the Trainer Challenge at the time being, it may come in handy, but there are no real decks that make use of Special condition knock outs, except possibly Seviper/Skuntank G, *****hat deck welcomes the poison, making Full Heal hindering.

-

-

-

Well that was just a basic run through of the Set, not all cards have had info released yet, so i will add more as it comes. As mentioned, if you have anything you'd like to add, or comments you'd like to make, please do say. This did take quite a while to make, and though some of the more expert players may disagree with my analysis, if you read it, say something, so i can know if it was good, and what to improve, as i'd hope to do these for each new set, to help out any new players, and help with information.

If you've made it through all this text, then well done, and please comment.

Thanks, Vendetta

Notes:

Fixed card sizes, now they might be slightly too big. confused_smile.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V-for-Vendetta.jpg

Krookidile is bad!? sad_smile.png

And with Reshiram's card being inferior to its counterpart...

....Just another reason added to my long list of how Nintendo prefers Pokemon White over Black... cry_smile.png

Nice overview of the selected cards. I'd have to disagree with your opinion of the two legendaries though. If we're discussing energy costs, I'd prefer Reshiram's Blue Flare over Zekrom's Bolt Strike because it reminds me of Base Set Charizard's Fire Spin (but costs one energy less for the trademark 120 HP damage). Nostalgic references for the win.

Plus, Bolt Strike's 40 HP recoil damage makes me cringe just thinking about it. I'd rather discard energy than take damage, but that's just me.

Maractus: How did you get 1/27? There's only 3 coins. 12.5%, or 1/8 chance to get three heads. 1/27 is about 3.2% lol..

Ah, yeah, my bad. To be fair it was like one in the morning and i completely forgot my probability.teeth_smile.png

A one in eight chance still isn't good enough for sixty though, so my point still kinda stands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V-for-Vendetta.jpg

With zoroark it's best as tech than the main pokemon. It really situational with it's copy attack though I do love that it dose not require the energy to use the attacks. Serpireor will definitely combo will with the other Serperior and a card that spreads damage around...(can't think of it's name atm). Huge amount of damage removed each turn makes it a tank that you will have to 1HKO. Sawk reminds me of base set hitmonchan.

and

Cut_Vendetta it was good what you was doing so .id like to say that samurot is super strong thanks anyway.

GOOD THREAD, but i think Reshiram is better than Zekrom, just because of the recoil, and Serberior is BEAST!

I kind of agree with Zekrom being better, plus if he survives the next attack he'll probably have enough damage to make use of Outrage. Or he could just hit for 120 again, I'd rather do that than discard energy.

The fact that Zoroark only needs colorless energy to act as a revenge hitter on big beefy Pokemon means he could be splashed into pretty much any deck, and a low retreat cost keeps switching him out after doing so much more repeatable.  I think he'll see quite a bit of use for that purpose.

herdier , bouffalant and alomoma are also pretty decent cards.

and sawk sawks lol! they better come up with an alt or ev card of it!

and zekrom vs reshiram, it depends. their mega attacks seems to complement thier outrage atk

herdier , bouffalant and alomoma are also pretty decent cards.

and sawk sawks lol! they better come up with an alt or ev card of it!

and zekrom vs reshiram, it depends. their mega attacks seems to complement thier outrage atk

What does "ev" mean? It seems like it would mean "evolution", but that would be silly because Sawk doesn't evolve! Of course, you could mean, like, the B&W equivalent of a Lv. X? They actually don't have any of those, yet, most likely won't be until a new set or two. (yay, rhyming!)

Updated with Klingklang, Stoutland and Bouffalant. Will try and get at least one pokemon from each evolution line in the main post.

V-for-Vendetta.jpg

• 2 months later...

mah friends gort the reshiram in a booster pack so im gonna trade him mah chimchar monferni=o and infernape from diamond and pearl series if its a good idea say its good or if its bad say its bad

• 2 months later...

It's amazing how we all ended up dead wrong. whatchutalkingabout_smile.png

Emboar and Reshiram have almost completely destroyed the metagame when combined with Typhlosion Prime and Ability Ninetales

Zekrom and Serperior are also insanely useful, but Serperior, while not uncommon, isn't exactly widespread either.

I love Samurott, but I am the only person I know or even seen who actually uses it and values it for more than a pack or two.

Zoroark, while powerful, is actually quite uncommon in the metagame nowadays, possibly due to low HP for a sweeper.

Krookadile and Klingklang, while also uncommon, are still somewhat valuable compared to cards like Stoutland, especially Klingklang.

Mandibuzz is again uncommon, though this one is almost definitely due to low HP, plus the move requires damage counters to already be on the Pokemon.

I can't believe Reshiram and Zekrom were both just labelled bad cards. They seem massively overpowered for basic pokemon. Am I just that much of a noob?

Archived