Need help adjusting an Archie's Blastoise deck.

Sakura150612

I just finished puting this deck toghether. I had been wanting to try it out ever since it became a thing but I never really had the card for its. Now that I managed to get the expensive stuff I was missing (Computer Search, Shaymins and Jirachi mainly) I made this:

Pokemon (13):

• Shaymin EX x2
  • Exeggcute x2
  • Jirachi EX x1
  • Articuno AT x2
  • Keldeo EX x4
  • Blastoise x2

Trainers (36):

• Battle Compressor x4
  • Computer Search x1
  • Superior Energy Retrieval x4
  • Trainers' Mail x4
  • Ultra Ball x4
  • VS Seeker x4
  • Archie x2
  • AZ x1
  • Lysandre x1
  • N x1
  • Sycamore x3
  • Rough Seas x2
  • FFB x3
  • Float Stone x2

Energy (11):

• Water Energy x11

I based myself on a decklist I saw online somewhere but made some changes to suit it a bit more to my playstyle (like increase the RS to 2, because even though I don't think healing 30 hp per turn is that big in a mostly OHKO meta, stadium control is still pretty important). So far I've had success with it, although I've only played a couple of matches. What do you guys say? Is there anything I could change/improve to make the deck more consistent overall, or something I can do to make the turn 1 Archie even easier? Between Jirachi and Computer Search I have a pretty easy time, but sometimes I miscalculate and end up with more cards in my hand ;-;

Anyways, any advice is appreciated.

Archie's Blastoise is probably my favourite deck of all time, besides Yveltal. The beauty in the archetype lies in the flexibility, as the core engine is obviously the same in every list, yet you can tweak the deck tremendously towards your own play style ( or just Rush-In and blast through everything with Keldeo).

Although I spend most of my times prior to my hiatus with Toad and Blastoise in Unlimited, I also played Blastoise a whole lot in Expanded.

I'll start with my very own versions of the archetype and then proceed to your list.

[bHC] Archie's Control

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 2 Exeggcute *****

* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

* 1 Mewtwo-EX PR-BLW BW45

* 2 Articuno ROS 17

* 2 Keldeo-EX BCR 142

* 1 Kyurem ******

* 2 Blastoise PLS 137

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109

* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137

* 3 Superior Energy Retrieval *******

******** Bike PRC 122

* 1 Enhanced Hammer PRC 162

* 4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear ******

* 2 Professor Sycamore XY 122

* 1 Fisherman BKT 136

* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90

* 1 Muscle Band XY 121

* 1 Lysandre *******

* 1 Float Stone ******

******* Card XY 124

* 2 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 157

* 4 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

##Energy - 10

* 10 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

[bHC] B.B. King

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 1 Black Kyurem-EX PLS 95

* 2 Exeggcute *****

* 1 Raikou BKT 55

* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

* 2 Articuno ROS 17

* 2 Keldeo-EX BCR 142

* 2 Blastoise PLS 137

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 3 Acro Bike PRC 122

* 1 Fisherman BKT 136

* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90

* 2 Muscle Band XY 121

* 1 Lysandre *******

* 1 Float Stone ******

##Energy - 10

* 2 Lightning Energy HS 118

* 8 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Both decks had a similar record online ( about 39-2 / 45-3), although we both know that the game doesn't keep track of the record properly, so I'm sure the real win / loss ration would eventually settle at around 90%. Anyhow, I don't want to talk much about my versions, just wanted to show you some approaches to the deck.

That being said, let's take a closer look at your version. The first thing I notice is the absurdly high count of Keldeo-Ex. General speaking you want to have about 3 EX attacker in this deck and 2-3 non Ex attacker, preferably spread upon multiple types, to cover weakness. Mewtwo-Ex had been to go to guy, alongside 2 Keldeo-Ex. If you want to solemly rely on Keldeo-Ex I'd still suggest trimming them down to 3, as you'll hardly ever need 4 of them in a match. The rest of the Pokemon line-up looks solid. As for the trainers, the biggest addition to your deck would probably be Puzzle of Time. Cut the 4th SER, 1 Belt, 1 Sea and 1 Sycamore. Puzzle of Time do not only help you to set up the first turn Archie ( as you can just dumb them to empty your hand, unlike Supporters, Energy, etc. (excluding feeding them ****** or UB). The real power of the cards however lies in the flexibility. Whether you need a Supporter, a Stadium, a Trainer, Energy, a Pokemon you name it, you get it. Since the deck has all the right tools to quickly shuffle trough it's own library, getting two of them in your hand will hardly ever be a problem. I wrote a rather lengthy article on the subject of Blastoise and Puzzle of time on 60cards, you can shoot me a PN if you want the link to it.

I'd also opt to discuss the Fury Belts contra Muscle Band, as I'd always cater towards a 2/1 Split in favour of Muscle Band (****** - 1 split if you decide to drop on copy in favour of Puzzle).

Lastly I want to emphasize that getting the turn 1 Blastoise online is the main goal of the deck ( duh!) and hence we should always strive to be as consistent as possible, because no matter how nicely teched out our deck is, without the turtle we are dead in the water. Any addition or change towards the decklist should hence be discussed under the following question: Does the card enable a turn 1 Blastoise, or does it hinder me in doing so. Multiple copies of Supporters, Energy, Stadiums and so forth, basically anything that can clunk up your hand, will hinder you towards your primary goal.

Edit: @Mods: It's nice to see that your algorithm for "foul language" is still as terrible as it was 9 months ago. Destroying a good chunk of the decklist I created with your very own in-game tool ( aka copy&paste), kinda embarrasing don't you think ~~.

Prefacing this all by saying I'm still new to this deck like you so take what you will from this.. 

Maybe add another jirachi for consistency, its nice to be able to discard the last two cards with ultra ball, grab jirachi for maxies and throw it down, obviously not the only way to get arch out early but a good/not too uncommon scenario to aim for. I haven't tried this yet. 

Adding a startling megaphone/tool remover card for enemy garbodors. Obviously ability shut down hurts badly for this deck and it helps to have something. 

Archie's Blastoise is probably my favourite deck of all time, besides Yveltal. The beauty in the archetype lies in the flexibility, as the core engine is obviously the same in every list, yet you can tweak the deck tremendously towards your own play style ( or just Rush-In and blast through everything with Keldeo).

Although I spend most of my times prior to my hiatus with Toad and Blastoise in Unlimited, I also played Blastoise a whole lot in Expanded.

I'll start with my very own versions of the archetype and then proceed to your list.

[bHC] Archie's Control

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 2 Exeggcute *****

* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

* 1 Mewtwo-EX PR-BLW BW45

* 2 Articuno ROS 17

* 2 Keldeo-EX BCR 142

* 1 Kyurem ******

* 2 Blastoise PLS 137

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

******** Bike PRC 122

* 1 Fisherman BKT 136

* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90

* 1 Muscle Band XY 121

* 1 Lysandre *******

* 1 Float Stone ******

******* Card XY 124

##Energy - 10

* 10 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 60

[bHC] B.B. King

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 1 Black Kyurem-EX PLS 95

* 2 Exeggcute *****

* 1 Raikou BKT 55

* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

* 2 Articuno ROS 17

* 2 Keldeo-EX BCR 142

* 2 Blastoise PLS 137

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 3 Acro Bike PRC 122

* 1 Fisherman BKT 136

* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90

* 2 Muscle Band XY 121

* 1 Lysandre *******

* 1 Float Stone ******

##Energy - 10

* 2 Lightning Energy HS 118

* 8 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 60

Both decks had a similar record online ( about 39-2 / 45-3), although we both know that the game doesn't keep track of the record properly, so I'm sure the real win / loss ration would eventually settle at around 90%. Anyhow, I don't want to talk much about my versions, just wanted to show you some approaches to the deck.

That being said, let's take a closer look at your version. The first thing I notice is the absurdly high count of Keldeo-Ex. General speaking you want to have about 3 EX attacker in this deck and 2-3 non Ex attacker, preferably spread upon multiple types, to cover weakness. Mewtwo-Ex had been to go to guy, alongside 2 Keldeo-Ex. If you want to solemly rely on Keldeo-Ex I'd still suggest trimming them down to 3, as you'll hardly ever need 4 of them in a match. The rest of the Pokemon line-up looks solid. As for the trainers, the biggest addition to your deck would probably be Puzzle of Time. Cut the 4th SER, 1 Belt, 1 Sea and 1 Sycamore. Puzzle of Time do not only help you to set up the first turn Archie ( as you can just dumb them to empty your hand, unlike Supporters, Energy, etc. (excluding feeding them ****** or UB). The real power of the cards however lies in the flexibility. Whether you need a Supporter, a Stadium, a Trainer, Energy, a Pokemon you name it, you get it. Since the deck has all the right tools to quickly shuffle trough it's own library, getting two of them in your hand will hardly ever be a problem. I wrote a rather lengthy article on the subject of Blastoise and Puzzle of time on 60cards, you can shoot me a PN if you want the link to it.

I'd also opt to discuss the Fury Belts contra Muscle Band, as I'd always cater towards a 2/1 Split in favour of Muscle Band (****** - 1 split if you decide to drop on copy in favour of Puzzle).

Lastly I want to emphasize that getting the turn 1 Blastoise online is the main goal of the deck ( duh!) and hence we should always strive to be as consistent as possible, because no matter how nicely teched out our deck is, without the turtle we are dead in the water. Any addition or change towards the decklist should hence be discussed under the following question: Does the card enable a turn 1 Blastoise, or does it hinder me in doing so. Multiple copies of Supporters, Energy, Stadiums and so forth, basically anything that can clunk up your hand, will hinder you towards your primary goal.

Interesting! I can see there were a lot of things I didn't think of including that would greatly help the deck. I'll definetly trim down the Keldeos a bit. I typycally run the max amount of the main attacker, but based on your advice and the few games I've played it really does seem like 4 is just clogging up the deck. I'll experiment with 3 at first, and if I feel comfortable with that I'll probably experiment with 2 as well. I think I'll definetly be including the Mewtwo as well since it feels like a very natural tech in this deck.

The only change I would feel uncomfortable with is running only 1 Rough Seas, unless I also play a Delinquent. I'm just afraid of not being able to keep stadium control with just 1. I'll be cutting the SER to 3 though; now that you mention it, it does feel like 4 clogs up the deck a little.

I'm curious about the Raikou though. It could be good for coverage, but wouldn't the damage output be a bit low without electric energies? The idea is interesting but I'm not sure of exactly what would be a good situation to use it.

Now that I'll have free space I will be including puzzle. I use those a lot in my NM deck but I've been having trouble fitting them in other decks. It does sound like it would work well here so I'll include them.

Thank you so much for the advise! And I'm definetly interested in the 60 cards article. I'll send you a PM to ask you for the link.

Prefacing this all by saying I'm still new to this deck like you so take what you will from this.. 

Maybe add another jirachi for consistency, its nice to be able to discard the last two cards with ultra ball, grab jirachi for maxies and throw it down, obviously not the only way to get arch out early but a good/not too uncommon scenario to aim for. I haven't tried this yet. 

Adding a startling megaphone/tool remover card for enemy garbodors. Obviously ability shut down hurts badly for this deck and it helps to have something.

Hmm the main problem with a second Jirachi is that right now I can't afford a second one xd So far I haven't needed it but it could be nice to include when I have the funds.

And yes, I did notice now that I need some form of tool removal, particularly because of garbodor. I was thinking of using Xerosic since I can VS Seeker for it, but if I also use puzzles the Megaphone could be better and I'll still have a way of taking it from the discard. Thanks a lot for the advise too :)

I don't have a lot of experience with the deck but, Just 1st fast view makes me think Suicune [PBlast] could fit though probably you would need a 3rd Float Stone just this case (it's used for Keldeo -even though I've seen you run FFBs- and Blastoise so 2 could not be enough if adding another Tech pokémon). The good think it's still can attack without problems and the problems will probably be for the opponent and [safeguard] can win you some turns. And if you cut a pair of Keldeo, there's space enough for a pair of Suicune.

As for staples (for me) in Expanded, probably Tool scrapper and Colress would come handy now and then. And should work with 3 Superior energy retrieval.

10 energies could be probably the number.

But that's like everything, play-style + add 4 of the basic you'll need and then remove one by one of whatever, to add what you miss game after game, since founding the perfect build :)

Water is broken. There are so many techs you can run with this deck, so my advice is... from the looks of it, everything Felidae_ said. Well spoken.

But the one thing I will add is to keep you mind open to alternatives. Regice is common in this build, and so is Victini (Victory Star Ability for AT cuno). The 2105 World Champ beat two NM decks with Archie's, thanks to A WAILORD EX WHICH ATTACKED!! Even Compressing a M-Gyarados and Archie-ing for it later to add to firepower is an option. Risky, but SO worthwhile if you pull it off. So, just remember, with this deck, almost anything is possible.

Hmm, I'm curious about something. I was going through the GX cards that have been revealed so far and I remembered that there is going to be a Lapras GX. A lot of people said it wasn't going to be very good, but on second thought it has a lot of potential in this deck. With a muscle band it could hit the magic 180 damage turn 1 with only 3 energies, which is super easy to set up. The fact that it can guarantee a paralyze once could also be game changing, even if a bit situational. What do you think? With Blastoise and Keldeo as partners, it could easily hit for 180 every turn and bypass what would otherwise slow down the card a lot (attack cost and blizzard burn doesn't let you attack the next turn, which Blastoise and Keldeo fix). It's still a while from now until February, but I'm looking foward to experimenting with this card in this deck.

I don't want to put you off but the ratio of you playing archie is low. I have had many opponents who conceded in the second turn because I am ready to attack and they haven't even started yet. Also faced those who do managed to attack me in the 1st turn and I won half of the time and they won half of the time due to N and other sotuations. Overall my thoughts to this deck is that it is a gamble. But it is very unique and fun deck no doubt.

I don't want to put you off but the ratio of you playing archie is low. I have had many opponents who conceded in the second turn because I am ready to attack and they haven't even started yet. Also faced those who do managed to attack me in the 1st turn and I won half of the time and they won half of the time due to N and other sotuations. Overall my thoughts to this deck is that it is a gamble. But it is very unique and fun deck no doubt.

It's true that playing Archie or Maxie requires high levels or skill, luck, or both, but the power it packs is worth it to many players.  To be able to completely skip evolution, to not have to worry about fragile basics, and to be able to Deluge on surprise, are all ginormous benefits that can turn a powerful deck into a powerhouse.

Archived