Suggestions for improving the current Canned Chat system (not a petition for the return of the old chat)

Sakura150612

I may be assuming too much, but given that the thread just got the off-topic comments removed and was allowed to live, it seems like it's ok now to focus the thread on listing the suggestions that have been given. I will be updating this list on a semi-regular basis, taking into account the suggestions I've seen in other threads, and suggestions posted in this thread, and any personal suggestions I may contribute with. I will leave the original request down below in case anyone else might want to read it, but from here on out I'll be focusing the thread on keeping a nice, neat and organized list of potential Canned Chat additions and adjustments that would greatly improve the quality of life of the chat functions.

Work in progress: will be up to date with the suggestions given up to now after I do some forum digging. Brb.

PTCGO Staff, I would like to make a request regarding the feedback of the Canned Chat. As you know, we currently have the following thread dedicated to chat feedback:  http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/46559-please-dont-can-the-chat/page-1

I understand that you wish to prevent spam and repeating topics that are already being discussed in an active thread. However, I would like to point out the following reasons for which I believe we need a new thread:

• The linked thread was expressly a petition to not can the chat, done after the announcement of the canned chat and previous to its implementation.
  • In said thread, the focus of the discussion was the reasons why we players did not want for the removal of the chat and the reasons why the PTCGO removed it against our wishes and likely even against their own.
  • The thread has been out for nearly 2 months, and although it has managed to remain active, it has become less and less productive every day. The last few pages have all been people complaining that we want the chat back or at least a more tangible reason as to why it had to be removed, as well as a failed attempt to promote a 3rd party chatting program that nearly ended with the thread closed.

Therefore, it's safe to conclude that the thread has run its course and is no longer serving its original purpose, which was to prevent the closing of the chat and eventually reverting this decision, which by now it's clear that it's irreversible.

For these reasons, I believe we need a new thread focused exclusively on how we can improve our current chat system. There have been a few such threads, but all of them were closed because we already had a chat feedback thread. While I understand your reasons for doing this, as things stand in this point in time the linked thread is no longer serving its original purpose for the reasons I stated above. I do believe we need an active and productive chat feedback thread which will allow us to communicate in a more clear fashion what we would like to see of the canned chat in the future.

It would be possible to write said suggestions in the other thread, but doing so is somewhat problematic. Right now most of the thread is either 1) petitions for the return of the old chat or 2) petitions to be told the reason it was removed. Actual feedback on the canned chat and canned chat improvement suggestions are very disperse, very few, and mostly end up forgotten and ignored (by the rest of our community; I know the staff reads every suggestion) in favor of continuing to ask back for the old chat, which by this point we all know to be impossible.

Furthermore, even if the staff does read every suggestion, in order to do so they have to dig through 15+ pages of just complaints and frustration just to find 1 or 2 suggestions. I believe it would be much easier for the staff if we were allowed to organize our canned chat improvement suggestions in a single, new, fresh and clean thread, with the sole purpose of improving the canned chat and not asking back for the old chat. This should save us much of the negativity that there is surrounding this controversial decision and help everyone focus on moving on to the future. I am sure there will still be such complaints regardless, but by now most of us are willing to accept this if we can move on and improve what we have.

But again, at the risk of sounding repetitive, for this end we absolutely must shift the focus of the discussion. If all chat feedback, even if said feedback is about improving the canned chat and not about wanting the old one back, keeps getting redirected to our current feedback thread, it becomes extremely hard for us to move on and accept the removal of the chat.

Again, (I'm being very repetitive now, but I simply must hammer in this message), being constantly redirected to the current chat thread only serves to us as a reminder that the chat we used to know and love is gone, and to most people that is a signal that we must continue fighting to claim back the chat that was taken from us.

If instead you allowed a new thread focused on improving the canned chat, it would be much easier for us to heal, accept the free chat removal, move onwards to the future and maybe even come to like the new chat.

Mods, TPCi, please hear out my plea. We really must move on. If it is true that there is no coming back for the free chat, you must help us move on by allowing us to start anew and focus on improving what we have.

To the rest of the players; I think that I'm not the only one who believes this, but I cannot hope to speak for everyone. I know many would still rather fight to the bitter end to restore the old chat, and while I can respect that I really do think it's time to cut our losses. If you're against my proposal please do say so, as I do not wish to impose my ideas; I simply want to do what I believe will be for the best in our community.

Kind regards,

-Sakura

seconded. If we keep these two chats open, it encompasses pretty much every argument on the current state of chat so mods wouldn't have to keep closing "rogue" threads, while allowing each of us (with our different sets of ideals) to keep our ideas separate

I third this! Amidst the chaos of all the Cries and Sorrows all the voices will be nulified, but by making suggestions for improvement dedicated to a separate location, All said Cries and Sorrows will be just that and all the constructed feedback can be heard and discussed within reason

(Inb4 mod closes for multi threading same topic)

Currently chatting in versus and tournament games is limited to 4 text messages and 6 Emoji.

I think it is reasonable to request that (at least) the following text messages are added:

"good luck" "good game"

Currently chatting in versus and tournament games is limited to 4 text messages and 6 Emoji.

I think it is reasonable to request that (at least) the following text messages are added:

"good luck" "good game"

Well Played! is the equivalent of good game. Also I think there should be an "I'm Doing A Challenge." phrase.

Don't mean to show impatience but I'm still waiting for an answer on this. I'm cool with the staff not answering every suggestion, but this one requires a response. If we attempt to start a thread for this new topic on our own it will just be locked like all the others, so I can't go ahead and make a thread safely unless I get explicit permission to do so.

I believe my arguments are sufficient to start a fresh thread for this topic, so that those of us who want to move on (regardless of whether we must do so reluctantly or willingly) have a way of doing so. The other thread does not have as its purpose to improve the canned chat, it wants the canned chat gone and the old chat back. Even if I would like to see free chat return we all know that's not gonna happen, so we NEED a new thread where we can freely express our thoughts an ideas on how to improve the canned chat and not have to fear it being locked down. Even if it is just for ease of mind, we really do need this, and I will respectfully insist that this needs an answer.

Since this thread has not been locked yet, I assume that we can go ahead and post our suggestions to improve the canned chat

I hope so, but I still feel a bit uneasy. If only a mod could just drop by and say "ok go ahead"... the thread has been out for a few days now and it's still in the front page, so I'm sure they have at least seen it. It really would make a world of difference if they gave us an answer. A simple "ok" would be more than enough. I don't want to go back on my word and start editting the original post untill we get an official ok because I really do want this to be cooperative and not just me trying to force their hand, but I suppose that it's fair that we start posting suggestions.

I seriously hope I'm not jinxing it, but i'm gonna say this: lets start posting suggestions for now, to help the thread get rolling and to keep it fresh. I don't wanna bump because that's certain death for the thread. Lets also not make any reference to wanting back a free chat because that coukd leave ground for the "we already have a thread for that so we're locking this" argument.

I honestly hope that they can give us a sign of good will and allow this. It would help a lot to dissipate the feelings of discontempt and it would let us feel like we can cooperate once more.

I think there should be an "I'm Doing A Challenge." phrase.

this is the only reason i ever used the chat outside of friend battles. i 1000% support this.

also it's crazy that "good luck" isn't there considering (the last time i read) the official rules actually insist you have to shake hands and wish your opponent good luck at the beginning of a match. something to do with those five pillars of good sportsmanship or whatever they try to promote. yet in trying to decrease the toxicity of the game they've removed an ability to follow their own rules and morals?

(i've not read a rulebook for this game since HG/SS so if that's changed and pokemon no longer care about manners i stand corrected)

It will be great if you can add some of this message to the system.

• Good luck have fun.
  • Good Game
  • I think you are out of energy
  • I am doing mission
  • I have to go. Sorry.
  • Do you want a re-match?
  • You have some cards that i am interested in, let trade.
  • Let trade?
  • Wow. You have many rare cards.
  • Interesting deck you have.
  • I think you made an error with your last move?
  • Grr... I made an error there...
  • I think you will win this!
  • Do you want to see my fun deck?
  • Mis click 
  • Good Game Well Played
  • Bad draw 
  • Thanks!
  • Friend me after the game?

There have been a few such threads, but all of them were closed because we already had a chat feedback thread.

I see nothing wrong with posting suggested improvements and requested new features to the chat. I can't speak to those specific threads (as there is no supplied link), but my only suggestion is to make note of the forum rule #2 while posting new threads, which states as follow:

Search, Then Post: Use the search tool before creating a new thread. There could already be an ongoing discussion about the same topic. If there isn't, or if the last post in the topic is more than a couple of weeks old, perhaps it's time to start a new thread!

Otherwise, I personally welcome constructive feedback and new suggestions regarding the currently implemented chat, and I will personally make sure those threads reach the proper channels for review and consideration.

The only other thing that I would suggest, is making one thread per suggestion, rather than having a mega-thread with varied ideas.

I hope that helps!

I see nothing wrong with posting suggested improvements and requested new features to the chat. I can't speak to those specific threads (as there is no supplied link), but my only suggestion is to make note of the forum rule #2 while posting, which states as follow:

Otherwise, I personally welcome constructive feedback and new suggestions regarding the currently implemented chat, and I will personally make sure those threads reach the proper channels for review and consideration.

The only other thing that I would suggest, is making one thread per suggestion, rather than having a mega-thread with varied ideas.

I hope that helps!

Thank you! I promise to keep this thread constructive and focused. As I stated, the topic of the thread will be specifically the potential additions and tweaks to the current chat system, and the ideas we intend to share will be all centered on that idea.

Archived