looking for advice with a water / ice type deck

cthulu1980

i have what i would consider a pretty powerful water deck, but i need some advice on trainers... here is my deck, Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome

1- remoraid

1-octillery

1-psyduck

1-golduck w/derail attack

1-golduck BREAk

2-regice

1-glalie-ex

1-M glalie

1-manaphy-ex

2-gyrados-ex

2-M gyrados

4-dive ball

4-evosoda

3-great ball

3-max elixer

2-steven

2-skyla

1-wally

2-lysader

1-pokemon center lady

1-shrine of memories

1-lucky helmet

2-gyrados spirit links

1-fighting fury belt

3-double colorless energy

1-splash energy (mainly for manaphy or octillery)

14 water energy

Okay, this is going to be fun!  There's a lot of room for improvement on this deck. :) --------- First: pokemon.   You've got some pretty strong attackers in there, but right now they're very spread out.  There are a lot of one-copy cards, and that hurts consistency a lot.  So you'd probably be better off trading the Glalie-EX and Emglalie for another Gyarados-EX and Emgyarados.  Next, you've got both Golduck BREAK and octillery in there, and both are good cards.  However, it's going to be really hard to get them both out, so I'd suggest cutting the Golduck line in favor of another Remoraid and Octillery.  Aside from that, it looks good. :) --------- Trainers: 4 Dive Ball is great.  But let the great balls take a dive. :P I think that there is a time and place for great ball (and I'm in the minority), but this deck has too few pokemon for it to be worth the chance.  You're much better off with Ultra ball- and probably only two of them, but if you want three, that'll work, too.   Next, I see you have four evosoda.  It's a powerful card, and you have a lot of evolutions.  However, it takes a lot of space and only saves a little time, so maybe just two would be better.  The part of your deck that probably needs the most work is the supporter lineup.  Right now, you have virtually no draw support besides octillery, and drawing cards is essential to any successful deck right now.  Try 3 prof. Sycamore, 3 N, and a  teammates, while cutting 2 lysandre (he is the most evil card in the standard format.  As your deck does not rely on abilities, you do not need him to shut off Garbodor, which is the only proper justification for that bleep.  In my opinion.  But please, just take him out.), and 2 steven.  Also, put in as many VS. seeker as you have- and if you don't own any, try to trade for at least two.  Then, into tools: I think maintaining the 2 links is good, since you won't always need them anyway, but if you want a third, that's fine too.  However, the FFB isn't doing much, so you'd probably be better off with a Bursting Balloon or two, which can buy you time to power up Gyarados.  Finally, Stadiums: 1 Shrine could be nice for using Stormy Seas, so it seems good to me.  You probably also want to add a rough seas of two, though.  When you have a lot of HP like Emgyarados does, healing can be outrageously powerful. ------------ The last section: energy.  1 Splash energy will be hard to get too the pokemon who needs it, especially in the early game, when they're most likely to get attacked, anyway.  You're probably best to just cut it, perhaps adding a Super Rod if you fell the need.  3 Dice (double colorless) seems fine, but the 14 water is excessive- try just ten, with perhaps a Fisherman supporter for retrieval. ---------- That's what I have to say.  I realize my suggestions would pull you over 60 cards :P but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which ones to cut.  Good luck!

Hey there,

In terms of trainers, here are my suggestions:

• You have no draw supporters aside from a 1-1 line of Octillery. Draw support is key to make any deck competitive, or else you will get stuck easily. I suggest you add 4 N, and 4 Professor Sycamore.  This is a must for any deck.
  • You need a way to get your important supporters from the Discard pile; hence you need to add in 4 VS Seeker. This is a staple for any deck,
  • You want to be able to thin-out your deck quickly so you can get the cards you need quickly. Trainer's Mail plays a crucial role here and that's why it is a staple in any deck. It helps you find your Trainer's cards quickly and when you need them. 
  • Take out all your 3x Great Ball; since all your Pokemon are water-type you're fine with just Dive Ball. However, if you want to add-in an extra way to get your Pokemon, I suggest you use Ultra Ball; Great Ball is too random and you can't be certain you will get the Pokemon you want, when you want them. Moreover, Ultra Ball has the advantage of discarding cards from your hand so you can use Octillery to draw more cards. 
  • Don't use Steven in any of your decks, unless it serves a specific purpose. Steven uses up your supporter card for the turn only to get you another supporter card and an energy. If you need energy, you are much better off using Professor's Letter.
  • You don't need Shrine of Memories in this deck. However, you will definitely benefit by adding in at least 2 Rough Seas to constantly heal 30 damage from all your water Pokemon each turn.
  • The key strategy with Golduck Break is moving around your energy. Hence, you want to take advantage of this. A great way to do this is by adding in at least 2 Max Potion. This allows  you to move all energy off any severely damaged pokemon and and fully heal it. Then you can simlply put all the energy back on and attack. This really sets your opponent back because they just wasted 1 or more turns putting all that damage on  your Pokemon, only to have you heal it all.
  • You don't really need 4 Evosoda in this deck.  Dive ball will help you with that and you can also add in Ultra Ball. Think of this way, you don't want to draw into  Evosoda early on your first turn or early on when you have no use for it because you don't even have all your basic Pokemon on your bench yet.
  • You should definitely add in 1 Super Rod to bring back energy and Pokemon from your discard pile.

Here are some suggestions for your Pokemon:

• You always want to avoid having 2 Mega Pokemon in the same deck as this is likely to make your deck very clunky. Hence, I suggest you focus only on M Gyarados EX and make it a 3-3. The Regice you have is a great support and backup attacker.
  • If you are planning on using Octillery I suggest you add-in a 2-2 line to make it more reliable, or else Octillery can be easily prized and then it will simply be dead weight in your deck. However, I feel this deck will run better without Octillery, as you will have too many Pokemon with Octillery, which is not a good thing.
  • Similar to Octillery, if you plan on using Golduck Break, you should gave a 2-2-2 line to make it reliable and useful.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your deck!

EDIT : SuperStone beat me to it, haha. Great suggestions, as well mate!

Cheers :)

ok..... i traded my glalie line for another golduck break line plus a vs seeker... dropped the great balls for 2 fishermen and super potion, added 2 professer birch, cut out a couple energy, added an articuno (find ice is a nice attack) dropped shrine of memories, added 2 stormy seas.... the only issue i can see is that my only real attackers ****** i power up gyrados) are regice and now articuno

sorry if im being annoying...lol but heres a thought..... what if i trade my holo octillery line for a primal kyogre line?

i know its a pain to run 2 megas, but the option to attach 2 energy in one shot is appealing... especialy because of how long it takes to power up gyrados.... but if i can get one of my 2 golduck breaks out thats 2 energy for the big guy... plus with getting rid of my M glalie line, it hurt the number of attackers i had, and putting kyogre in is a decent / semi cheap strong attacker

sorry if im being annoying...lol but heres a thought..... what if i trade my holo octillery line for a primal kyogre line?

i know its a pain to run 2 megas, but the option to attach 2 energy in one shot is appealing... especialy because of how long it takes to power up gyrados.... but if i can get one of my 2 golduck breaks out thats 2 energy for the big guy... plus with getting rid of my M glalie line, it hurt the number of attackers i had, and putting kyogre in is a decent / semi cheap strong attacker

Nope. Don't trade Octillery. You need it. Because the alternative is picking up 2-3 Shaymins, which are 25 RS EACH!

The thing is, with EXs you should only ever need 3 attackers, because that's how many your opponent will KO. 3 M Gyarados and 1 Regice should make up your attackers. While Primal Kyogre is good, it doesn't fit into this build. You just need the space.

I like 'cuno as well, but he's a sitting duck (or other bird) while attacking. A better idea is to use some Max Elixirs to speed up your Energy placement. You can get them in the BREAKpoint themes, so they are cheap as well. Bear in mind that they only work on Benched Basics (non-Mega evolved Gyara.) and are unreliable if you don't run at least 10 Energy.

Finally, make Gyara#3 and Octillery #2 your next trade targets. Best of luck!

Archived