Why Cant we Post Scammer Name in Forum?

max32td

By scammer do you mean phishing scams or bad trades? There's already been too many bad trade reports and most of those people don't even do it on purpose. People who do phishing scams are actually dangerous, but you still can't make their name public because it's not for us to judge and punish the scammer. If we were to legitimize public accusations then we would need a full blown public trial system in the same vein as what's done in League, and maybe do threads similar to what Pendragon used to do where the accused got a chance to prove his innocence (if he was innocent) and after the "trial" people could vote.

If we only allowed people to name and shame as they see fit, while we would stop some (real) scammers from getting people, it would also be far too easy to sneak in fake reports and tarnish the name/reputation of someone who has done absolutely nothing. By the time that person has been proved innocent the damage would already be done.

So in short, we can't name scammers because allowing this will bring more harm than good. We'd need a Mod dedicated exclusively to conducting these trials and/or verifying and handling the accusations, and we'd need this person to be extremely efficient and impartial. It's just too hard to make it work properly while minimizing the collateral damage, so it's better if we keep scammer reports privately.

By scammer do you mean phishing scams or bad trades? There's already been too many bad trade reports and most of those people don't even do it on purpose. People who do phishing scams are actually dangerous, but you still can't make their name public because it's not for us to judge and punish the scammer. If we were to legitimize public accusations then we would need a full blown public trial system in the same vein as what's done in League, and maybe do threads similar to what Pendragon used to do where the accused got a chance to prove his innocence (if he was innocent) and after the "trial" people could vote.

If we only allowed people to name and shame as they see fit, while we would stop some (real) scammers from getting people, it would also be far too easy to sneak in fake reports and tarnish the name/reputation of someone who has done absolutely nothing. By the time that person has been proved innocent the damage would already be done.

So in short, we can't name scammers because allowing this will bring more harm than good. We'd need a Mod dedicated exclusively to conducting these trials and/or verifying and handling the accusations, and we'd need this person to be extremely efficient and impartial. It's just too hard to make it work properly while minimizing the collateral damage, so it's better if we keep scammer reports privately.

sakura has pointed out most of the important things from this argument. Let me just add on the small point that a reputation is much more easily ruined than built. A few reports for scamming can make a person fall from a respected position in the community, while the proof that the report was fake (though important) is much more likely to be missed. (thus not completely restoring the member's position)

sakura has pointed out most of the important things from this argument. Let me just add on the small point that a reputation is much more easily ruined than built. A few reports for scamming can make a person fall from a respected position in the community, while the proof that the report was fake (though important) is much more likely to be missed. (thus not completely restoring the member's position)

I think you have just explained why newspapers are so awful these days.  Print anything, then print a retraction 6 weeks later on page 152.

I think you have just explained why newspapers are so awful these days.  Print anything, then print a retraction 6 weeks later on page 152.

:cool: +1

But anyway, I would like to say that this is also basic psychology.  People are much more likely to change their mind in a negative way than in a positive way, and while a few thousand years ago this was very helpful for keeping us alive, in our modern society it creates a lot of problems- especially on the internet.  Since information can be shared so freely, so anonymously, and with such a powerful illusion of authenticity, lies are circulating at an astonishing level- which quite possible influenced the outcome of the U.S. I-can't-talk-about-it. (What's that, TPCI?  No no, there's nothing to see here.  Move along, move along. :rolleyes:)  So in that regard, allowing complete strangerst to rant about their enemies- sometimes for the good of the cause, often for revenge- would be extremely detrimental to the community.  However, you can always report them, and if it's really out of hand, submit a support ticked here: http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?

:cool: +1

But anyway, I would like to say that this is also basic psychology.  People are much more likely to change their mind in a negative way than in a positive way, and while a few thousand years ago this was very helpful for keeping us alive, in our modern society it creates a lot of problems- especially on the internet.  Since information can be shared so freely, so anonymously, and with such a powerful illusion of authenticity, lies are circulating at an astonishing level- which quite possible influenced the outcome of the U.S. I-can't-talk-about-it. (What's that, TPCI?  No no, there's nothing to see here.  Move along, move along. :rolleyes:)  So in that regard, allowing complete strangerst to rant about their enemies- sometimes for the good of the cause, often for revenge- would be extremely detrimental to the community.  However, you can always report them, and if it's really out of hand, submit a support ticked here: http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?

Man, I'm so sad we can't discuss politics here xd I mean I understand the reason why, so I won't insist, but I'd be fun if we could :P You can't really blame the world for being terrified though. I think that, at least from what we've seen so far, the president elect himself has turned out to be far more moderate than what a lot of people expected, but some of the people that support him... what happened the other day in the Ronald Regan building isn't exactly representative since only 200 or so people participated (a very small, tiny even, minority compared to what's millions and millions of more reasonable people), but just thinking about it makes me think that it's the 1930s all over again. Creepy, creepy stuff. That anyone could still say such things nowadays and completely mean it, even if it only were 1 person, is horrifying.

(Btw if that was too much you guys can go ahead and delete it xd Or let me know so I can delete it myself. I know I'm kind of bordering the limit here).

My younger brother got scammed. He just trying to earn some pocket money to treat himself sime gorgeous big mac....

The last thing he wanted is **** buyer protection dispute

My younger brother got scammed. He just trying to earn some pocket money to treat himself sime gorgeous big mac....

You mean he got scammed out of money or packs?

If you tried to sell cards/codes/etc for real money, then you've got an entirely different problem in your hands. This thread has become kinda forgotten, but it still applies: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/6051-10192011-our-policy-on-selling-digital-cards/

Selling virtual content is not something the PTCGO allows and any attemot to do so is under your own risk. If the person you tried to sell your cards to was dishonest, I'm afraid there's nothing anyone can do to help you. Even if you sent a private report via support ticket nothing would happen.

What reputation? What are you talking about? You log into this game, play some games, create some trades and that´s it. You don´t make friends here, you don´t get job here and you don´t get any reputation here. This is a fictional world. We wouldn´t need public shaming if pokémon staff would do their job properly.

What reputation? What are you talking about? You log into this game, play some games, create some trades and that´s it. You don´t make friends here, you don´t get job here and you don´t get any reputation here. This is a fictional world. We wouldn´t need public shaming if pokémon staff would do their job properly.

This may be a 'fictional' world, but the wonders of online communication, the spirit of Pokémon, and the horrors of cyberbullying are all very real here. People feel strong connections to their in-game characters (how many of you thought your name was Red 17 years ago? :***, and when it is insulted, attacked, bullied, harassed, and unfairly accused, it can come off almost as strong on the real person. Now, that's quite the list of negative things there. But here at the PTCGO, the positives outweigh them by far. I don't want to give the impression that this place is filled to the brim with bleephards, trolls, and newb-haters. It's not. However, they do exist, and it would be idiotic to allow them to do what they please with the reputations of perfectly innocent players. However, you insist people do not have a reputation. That's silliness. Just here on the forums, reputations are clear, especially with rep points- but beyond that, Sakura had a reputation for trying to address the symptoms, Seminc is considered by almost everyone to be a really nice guy, LordKieta is famous for at random times giving stuff away, Rainbow is a great donor and organizer, etc, etc. I realize I'm over-diagnosing, but I'm going to keep going anyway. :P Now, in-game, reptations are a little harder to find, but some players have very strong negative ones for hoarding, making scam offers, and trolling, especially blank, bleep, and underscore. (By my own logic, I can't post their names. But it's more funny this way anyway.) But a far greater number have reputations for being good traders, for being good players, and for being good people. Anyways, moving on to your final point, you claim that all this would be unnecessary if TPCI was doing things right. Well, let me tell you something. This is a very big game, with a lot of people 24/7, and because it generates so little money, it has a very small staff. True, the current monitoring is quite sub-par, but it would be impossible for the staff to catch everything- and due to the inability to perceive tone from text, what you see as blatantly offensive might look like a lame joke to another, or a bad attempt at sarcasm, or simply a lack of understanding. You are wrong, my friend, and I hope I have changed your mind.

Is this supposed to be bait? I'm offended, you're not even trying xd

because even if we report that fellow by official means, pokemon team probably did nothing, and  that fellow probably gets away...

Please rest assured that all player reports are investigated and actions are taken against accounts which break any of the PTCGO rules.

The reason why you can't call out other players on the forums is because it is against the rules. And on that note, this thread is now closed.

If you feel that anyone has broken any of the PTCGO rules, I welcome you to submit an in-game  player report or by submitting a support ticket by clicking the link in my signature.

Archived