Newb Quick Start Guide

SupaThaJuice

A few newb questions for a newb!

1. Is buying a starter deck the best way to get started (Is money even required)?
  2. Do you earn new cards by winning marches in PvP?
  3. Is there a way to buy individual cards for online play?

**As you can see if you're reading this I'm ridiculously new, but I want to become a great trainer so any advance, hints, tips, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

-cheers  :) 

Yo,

To give you a quick answer to your questions, here's how it goes:

1) Many of the starter decks you can buy for tokens are not really worth buying unless you need most of its cards. The reason is because the Theme Deck format is mostly dominated by a couple of decks, and because you can't make any modifications to a deck there is no room for variation or improvement. Currently, the undisputed #1 starter deck is Crushing Current, the electric deck you can unlock in Trainer Challenge by defeating 7 diffferent trainers (after each win against a different trainer the deck is updated and after the 7th win it becomes playable in PvP). After that I would say Hidden Depths is pretty good (which you must also unlock), and from the ones from the shop the ones I feel are worth trying are Battle Ruler, Iron Tide and the Hoopa deck from Steam Siege (forgot the name of that one), but I still thing Crushing Current is the best starting point since it's super strong and it's free.

2) The VS Ladder contains several different cards, as well as packs, tickets (required to participate in tournaments) and tokens. As you earn points for winning you will earn these rewards. The rewards of the ladder rotate every 3 weeks. The EX of the ladder is usually (but not always) a card with strong gameplay value, which can be hard to obtain otherwise. For example, right now we have Team Plasma's Genesect EX, which from what I've heard is really good in the Legacy format, but in the next ladder we'll probably get Melloeta EX (which looks nice but it'd pretty bad gameplay-wise). Do note that everything earned from the ladder is "tradelocked". This means that said cards cannot be traded under any circumstances. This lock system exists to prevent people from taking advantage of the freebies and essentially destroying any sense of meaning to collecting and trading. The game does provide ways of obtaining tradabke stuff, and investing real money is not required.

3) With the exception of the promo card of the shop rotation, the game does not sell singles. There is a way to obtain specific cards, however. You can either use the public trade or the forums' In-Game Item Exchange section to trade your cards and packs for individual cards. Tradable packs are particularly valuable as they act as the standard currency for trades between players. While I'm at it, the main way of farming tradable packs without investing real money is to play in tournaments. The only way in which you can buy packs with real money is by either buying physical products yourself or buying codes from people who don't use them. Individual cards cannot be bought for real money (the one exception to this is the promo cards i Canada since they have the gem market. If you do not live in Canada, please pretend you didn't read this bit xd).

I hope this helps.

[P.s. I think you should stick to the standard font. The one you used is stupidly hard to read xd]

That said...

1 I think getting ALL the Theme decks it's a very nice way to start the game. You'll get a lot of useful trainers and some nice Pokémon sometimes which you can use in custom decks, like Volcanion from Gears of fire for Volcanion+EX deck or Greninja from Wave slasher for Greninja Break deck. Of course you will still need to trade for the EX and BREAK cards but those Pokémon are there are around 1 pack each (though if you know how the trade works for sure you can get it cheaper making offers).

This, will also swell your collection quite fast and give you the opportunity to trade some cards you'll get in non locked packs as you would already have locked copies to it.

2. Do you earn coins, cards, coins, chests, coins, packs, coins, tournament tickets... playing PvP, grinding the VS ladder. To get unlocked packs, you need to go to Tournaments. Keep it to trade for the needed EX, Break, Stage 2 strong cards you'll need for custom decks, It's the fastest way to build strong ones. A lot more than trying to get the cards opening the packs.

You can get also coins in mini-games in Pokémon website (up to 150 a week). Playing the Zorua puzzle it's probably the faster; you can do around 90-100 coins in 10 minutes. Now it's not really needed to do that to get coins as the game gives you a lot just for playing but, if you ever want something and you need extra coins, it's a plan B.

Also, keep always some coins for if unexpected very good bundles appear in the shop. Around 1500 it's enough. Shop bundles are more focused to complete the collection as most of the promo cards can only be gotten that way and if you want the 100% collection, you'll need to get at least one of each. Sometimes they add some awesome cards (like Jirachi XY67 or Lucario EX FA) that cost a lot of packs (around 60 and 9 at the time those bundles were released) and you can get it then with coins easily. In addition other limited edition deck boxes and sleeves are released in the shop sometimes (Gengar and other Halloween stuff were the last ones) so if you really want to catch'em all, you'll need to have some coins ready to spend or you'll be in a hurry.

3... Sakura said.

Also, you can learn A LOT from the forums, reading other players threads and questions. And of course if ever any question, just ask,we all try to help :D

Yo,

To give you a quick answer to your questions, here's how it goes:

1) Many of the starter decks you can buy for tokens are not really worth buying unless you need most of its cards. The reason is because the Theme Deck format is mostly dominated by a couple of decks, and because you can't make any modifications to a deck there is no room for variation or improvement. Currently, the undisputed #1 starter deck is Crushing Current, the electric deck you can unlock in Trainer Challenge by defeating 7 diffferent trainers (after each win against a different trainer the deck is updated and after the 7th win it becomes playable in PvP). After that I would say Hidden Depths is pretty good (which you must also unlock), and from the ones from the shop the ones I feel are worth trying are Battle Ruler, Iron Tide and the Hoopa deck from Steam Siege (forgot the name of that one), but I still thing Crushing Current is the best starting point since it's super strong and it's free.

2) The VS Ladder contains several different cards, as well as packs, tickets (required to participate in tournaments) and tokens. As you earn points for winning you will earn these rewards. The rewards of the ladder rotate every 3 weeks. The EX of the ladder is usually (but not always) a card with strong gameplay value, which can be hard to obtain otherwise. For example, right now we have Team Plasma's Genesect EX, which from what I've heard is really good in the Legacy format, but in the next ladder we'll probably get Melloeta EX (which looks nice but it'd pretty bad gameplay-wise). Do note that everything earned from the ladder is "tradelocked". This means that said cards cannot be traded under any circumstances. This lock system exists to prevent people from taking advantage of the freebies and essentially destroying any sense of meaning to collecting and trading. The game does provide ways of obtaining tradabke stuff, and investing real money is not required.

3) With the exception of the promo card of the shop rotation, the game does not sell singles. There is a way to obtain specific cards, however. You can either use the public trade or the forums' In-Game Item Exchange section to trade your cards and packs for individual cards. Tradable packs are particularly valuable as they act as the standard currency for trades between players. While I'm at it, the main way of farming tradable packs without investing real money is to play in tournaments. The only way in which you can buy packs with real money is by either buying physical products yourself or buying codes from people who don't use them. Individual cards cannot be bought for real money (the one exception to this is the promo cards i Canada since they have the gem market. If you do not live in Canada, please pretend you didn't read this bit xd).

I hope this helps.

[P.s. I think you should stick to the standard font. The one you used is stupidly hard to read xd]

Thanks a ton Sakura!!!

p.s. Sorry for the font haha 

Thanks a ton Sakura!!!

p.s. Sorry for the font haha

Don't worry about it xd Feel free to ask anything else that you need, and good luck on your quest :3

Archived